Nervous about going to bjj class!

LondonGuy

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have moved to London and now I have the opportunity of some really great academies to go to! Only problem is I am quite nervous about going because of my weight and not in the best shape! I need to pull my finger out and go.. I have been thinking about RGA or Gracie Barra Fulham.

Sorry not sure how your weight and not being in shape has to do with any thing. Can you explain why that is stopping you

I have moved to London and now I have the opportunity of some really great academies to go to! Only problem is I am quite nervous about going because of my weight and not in the best shape! I need to pull my finger out and go.. I have been thinking about RGA or Gracie Barra Fulham.
Everyone starts shitty. Don't worry no one expects anything from you. I am not being negative but in reality everyone is going to expect you to suck and be out of shape. No one will judge you for being winded and wanting to just watch. You need to just show up and train.

Just go man really, nobody cares, in the most reassuring meaning of the expression you can think of.. you'll probably go in a bit nervous and you'll came out great, happy and satisfied to have trained..

Many people start combat sports in order to get in better shape and/or lose some weight, go in with that mindset and follow others who may be in a higher level at whatever academy.

You don't have to roll for until you feel comfortable. Take your time and ease into it. Get to know a couple guys through drilling and roll with them until you get comfortable enough to roll with anyone. Remember how to tap and you'll be ok against anyonein class.

It doesn't matter man, just go. I literally rolled with a new guy yesterday, he was young and built like Henry Cavill, it ended with him gasping for air and i was going easy on him. Then we laughed about it and i showed him a cross collar choke. Your going there to start and learn and everyone there will know that.

Just go. Once you start training you'll regret not having started sooner. The awkwardness of grappling with strangers goes away in a couple of weeks. Also you'll get in shape 'after' you start training. It'll slowly change your lifestyle.

Are you going to wait until you've lost weight and are in shape to go to the gym? Isn't that what its for?

image.jpg

Like everyone else has said once you start you won't regret it. If it's just grappling it's not like someone is gonna try and cave your face in. Even if someone is a bit too full on and your worried about being hurt you can always just tap.

Don't worry homie, first 6 months kinda suck because you're learning the ropes and getting tapped out but after that it starts to get fun. No one will judge you, if they do, that's the wrong gym and they don't understand the principles of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Good luck bro! Have fun.

Back