Neil melanson

leaf22

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Been using a few of his ideas lately, liking his style, and his approach to the game.. lineage is super dodgy tho.. anyone trained with him?
Anyone got his new DVD?

Honestly I I am always sceptic when I hear the term Catch Wrestling but from his book and his old DVD a series Neil really convinced and impressed me. I don´t care which lineage he has or if he came up by his own with that stuff because it is great stuff. His triangle book is awsome.

Since I am only training No-Gi most of the stuff he does works very well for me. He is a pretty tall guy so maybe some short guys have problemes with his stuff but it is really technical and tactial sound.

And I am looking forward to get his new DVDs

he trained under gokor gene lebelle and karo from ufc they have spoken for him lineage doesnt matter as long as you can produce good results nobodys gonna hire him if he has nothing to show this isnt tma where lineage is the end all

i think his grappling is good for mma but not as much today with sub grappling not sure how well his guard passing would be he specializes in subs

he trained under gokor gene lebelle and karo from ufc they have spoken for him lineage doesnt matter as long as you can produce good results nobodys gonna hire him if he has nothing to show this isnt tma where lineage is the end all

i think his grappling is good for mma but not as much today with sub grappling not sure how well his guard passing would be he specializes in subs
Yeah fair point, it’s always a bad sign when guys start making up stuff about who gave them their belt tho. Especially when they don’t compete... no way of really knowing their skill level. I like how he’s focusing on bringing wrestling techniques into the ground game tho.

Although I’m dubious about all the ‘catch wrestling ‘ talk when he’s never competed in any catch wrestling tournaments and never really trained with any catch wrestlers

It seems like Neil has a solid background that developed his submission grappling game that he teaches. As far as I remember, from interviews and stuff, he started training with MMA fighter Justin Mcelfresh in Ohio. They trained at a school that had a "shoot fighting" class that was kinda under the old school Bart Vale umbrella. Then he moved to LA and got with the Hayastan guys. Hayastan would've exposed him to some world class judo, freestyle and Greco roman wrestling, sambo, and catch. Seems like a great background to me.

Yeah fair point, it’s always a bad sign when guys start making up stuff about who gave them their belt tho. Especially when they don’t compete... no way of really knowing their skill level. I like how he’s focusing on bringing wrestling techniques into the ground game tho.

Although I’m dubious about all the ‘catch wrestling ‘ talk when he’s never competed in any catch wrestling tournaments and never really trained with any catch wrestlers

He trained under Karo, Gokor, and LeBell and he's been picked up to teach at Extreme Couture, Blackzilians, and now Genesis (formerly Grudge, run by Trevor Wittman). Those are pretty solid credentials, plus the fighters who train under him seem to have nothing but good things to say about his teachings. Now that he's in Denver I plan on trying to train with him some, and I've found the stuff he shows on his DVDs and in his books to work really well. That's enough for me, when you're produced guys who can grapple at the highest levels of MMA for multiple camps I don't really care much about your lineage, you obviously know what you're about. Lineage is mostly important if you don't have a name as a coach or competitor.

when you're produced guys who can grapple at the highest levels of MMA for multiple camps I don't really care much about your lineage, you obviously know what you're about. Lineage is mostly important if you don't have a name as a coach or competitor.

Who has he "produced"? According to the accounts I've read, he got the coaching gig at Xtreme Couture by investing in the gym and the pros didn't train with him while he was there.

As far as lineage is concerned, Neil thought it was important enough to get a fake belt from Karo, and to put a fake belt on Randy on live television to promote himself. He seems to be a self-promoter who insinuates himself into the good graces of famous people to get jobs for which he isn't qualified.

We all have a good laugh about the Wolfman, but Melanson seems less qualified than Dan to be doing his job.

Last edited:

neils been all over the world training im pretty sure hes trained with all sorts of guys in todays age u cannot be a fraud and teach grappling to ufc fighters lol you have to be damn legit so he is obviously doing something right or he wouldnt have been randy coutures coach and the head grappling coach for jaco

I dont know, Im a triangle guy and cant for the love of god make any of his stuff to work lol... may be I havent put too much effort on it, it certanly makes sense on video...

Who has he "produced"? According to the accounts I've read, he got the coaching gig at Xtreme Couture by investing in the gym and the pros didn't train with him while he was there.

As far as lineage is concerned, Neil thought it was important enough to get a fake belt from Karo, and to put a fake belt on Randy on live television to promote himself. He seems to be a self-promoter who insinuates himself into the good graces of famous people to get jobs for which he isn't qualified.

We all have a good laugh about the Wolfman, but Melanson seems less qualified than Dan to be doing his job.

Ya these are things that irk me about him as well. I like that he’s coming at submission grappling from a different angle, just not sure he’s really qualified to be doing it.

But, could be a bit of both, could be a bit of a scammer who also has some legit ideas.

hmmm...this makes sense. I remember a while back when Xtreme Couture had more bigger name pros training out of there and Neil was the ground coach there, I found it strange that many of the pros trained outside with Robert Drysdale or their own BJJ coach from another gym instead of with Neil, the in house grappling coach

Well you know, both of the guys fighting for the Bellator championship belt at 197 were guys he was coaching, and Chandler set up one of the sickest finishes i've ever seen using a sequence right out of his instructional(s), so i suppose the mystery continues...

Last edited:
Based on the recent video of his the "catch" part seems to refer to catching some vile STD.

Who gives a damn about lineage, the guy was Randy Couture coach when Randy was on top, trained teams like Xtreme Couture, Alliace MMA and the Blackzilians, those guys have no time to waste.

One of my best friends was in the UFC and trained with Melanson. Said he was a nice guy and had some stuff that translated from wrestling well. Also said he took too long to show moves, put a lot of emphasis on like pressure points or crossfacing or whatever that wasnt very effective. Also said he never rolled.

I was curious about him because I knew he was some kind of catch wrestling coach but didnt know much about him. It seems like you gotta be a bit of a salesman to find coaching work when you dont have any kind of competition results as a grappler. Im still mindfucked when I see that Kenny Johnson cornering guys and claiming to be an AA for Iowa and an Olympic team member when these things are painfully easy to google.

One of my best friends was in the UFC and trained with Melanson. Said he was a nice guy and had some stuff that translated from wrestling well. Also said he took too long to show moves, put a lot of emphasis on like pressure points or crossfacing or whatever that wasnt very effective. Also said he never rolled.

I was curious about him because I knew he was some kind of catch wrestling coach but didnt know much about him. It seems like you gotta be a bit of a salesman to find coaching work when you dont have any kind of competition results as a grappler. Im still mindfucked when I see that Kenny Johnson cornering guys and claiming to be an AA for Iowa and an Olympic team member when these things are painfully easy to google.

I always thought the same, that they'd have to hustle hard to find coaching work, especially by a team with guys in the know.

I figured Kenny was legit, as I don't have any real knowledge of the wrestling community. He also coaches some legit guys and produced some results with their training, I never thought anything of it.

The gap between his big toe and the rest of the toes is huge.

lol check out his bio iv seen a few tec vids of his that were pretty solid but i had to laugh when he had matt lindland listed as a student of his lol

https://www.boltwrestling.com/about-kenny-johnson

The gap between his big toe and the rest of the toes is huge.
If you look closely you'll see the reason why. He had a toe surgically removed after he bust it rather than let it heal because he didn't want it to interfere with his grappling. Or at least that what he says and I have no reason to doubt him.

Been using a few of his ideas lately, liking his style, and his approach to the game.. lineage is super dodgy tho.. anyone trained with him?
Anyone got his new DVD?
why do people always try to say his lineage is dodgy lol he trains very top level fighters is under gokor and karo they are very top grapplers i promise u he could take anyone on this forum and teach them things that would help them

Back