Negotiating with car salesman

Pretty much a commuter car- that can handle the snow alright. I currently have an impala... Not great on gas but goes pretty good through the snow.

Currently a single father with one kiddo. Not in college, not married. I'm going to drive my current car until it's completely done which could be next week or might have another year or two out of it. It's got 215,000 on it right now and it's a 2010...i might get another year or two out of it is my goal.

Buuut last few weeks car has been randomly breaking down with random issues popping up leaving me without a vehicle to get to work so this is the main reason i'm starting to look for a new vehicle. So i was thinking getting a newer vehcile, keep it as backup so when/if my car dies i'll have one to get to work and then when it completely goes it'll be a smooth transition.

Okay good info to know, where do you live?

How much snow are we talking?

Okay good info to know, where do you live?

How much snow are we talking?

northeast...think blizzards. 2 feet of snow type stuff lol.

Buuut eh...as long as the car is front wheel drive and i have a decent pair of tires on it, i'm usually good to go. I once was given a loaner vehicle that was rear wheel drive with summer tires and we ended up getting a few inches of snow.

I was doing donuts all the way up to work. While the drive was much more exciting i'm not sure my life expectancy will be too long with a car like that.

northeast...think blizzards. 2 feet of snow type stuff lol.

Buuut eh...as long as the car is front wheel drive and i have a decent pair of tires on it, i'm usually good to go. I once was given a loaner vehicle that was rear wheel drive with summer tires and we ended up getting a few inches of snow.

I was doing donuts all the way up to work. While the drive was much more exciting i'm not sure my life expectancy will be too long with a car like that.

Are you against having a truck, H2 or jeep?

Would you rather have a car?

I don't even know what to think about threads like this anymore.
either it's a semi-inspired troll thread which will successfully suck lots of posters into responding
with recommendatory 'advice' or it's an actual cry for help from a completely incompetent retrobate.

It's always good to call a bunch of dealers and ask what's the lowest they'll take for it. They'll usually take the hint that your shopping around, and will throw out some pretty good deals.

Any of you guys have luck?

Test drives a Volkswagen Passat today and liked it. Car is priced decent -2015 with 25 thousand miles has it priced at 13900.

I read go 20 percent lower so I lowballed him at 11. He wasn't budging said he'd give me another couple hundred off. I said how about under 12.

Still nothing. So I shook hands and walked away and told him to call me if he wants to work out a price. Kelly blue book has it between 12 to 14k.

There at the higher end I obviously want to spend at the lower end.

Any advice?

Find the cons of his car, use it to ask the lowest price, let him say no and ask him to make an offer, say that it's too much, offer to cut in half and offer the amount between your "lowest offer" and his offer.

I have never negotiated for something at such a high price. I have negotiated low 4 digits though, never 5 digits. Just that one extra digit is intimidating to me.

Next time try grabbing his crotch and wink when you make an offer. worked for me when i bought me first honda

Are you against having a truck, H2 or jeep?

Would you rather have a car?

Yeah only because i travel too much. I'd love to have a truck but gas mileage is too bad.

I've thought about a jeep- some jeeps get decent gas mileage.

Yeah only because i travel too much. I'd love to have a truck but gas mileage is too bad.

I've thought about a jeep- some jeeps get decent gas mileage.

If you get a jeep only a wrangler will do.

The other new jeeps are ass.

Trust me.

You can get a low mileage couple year old wrangler lifted on some tires for 30k for sure.

For a car, I'd say get a new Evo X.

Find the cons of his car, use it to ask the lowest price, let him say no and ask him to make an offer, say that it's too much, offer to cut in half and offer the amount between your "lowest offer" and his offer.

Amateur.

oh btw.. if you have a trade-in.. negotiate the price for that separately..

i got my wife's infiniti QX60 below invoice when they were trying to get rid of 2015s since 2016 were on the way in.. they only gave me that price when they thought they could get my trade in for a really low price.. they lowballed me initially on the trade in.. sucks for them since the car was essentially worthless since it needed a brand new transmission... lol. KBB value was 3500 in fair condition... they gave me 2000 for it.. a brand new transmission was over 5k... our mechanic basically told us if the dealer gave us anything to just take the money and run.. we dropped off the car on with 30 minutes before closing time and we just signed the necessary paperwork switching titles right at the dealership before they could do a proper inspection :)

Last edited:
How is that different from your technique? Please elaborate.

He doesn't buy at initial price, shocks the seller with a very low price (minus 50% for instance) based on cons (anything is good to use in order to destroy the seller's greed), never flees from the transaction, finish the transaction with a win win feeling (at a -50%/-30% price). And he doesn't risk another buyer getting the deal.

Also, TS, don't get emotionally attached to the car.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back