NEED URGENT ADVICE FOR MEAL PREPPING, PLEASE HELP OUT

NYCMAC

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
How can I store my 3-4 bulking meals (about 32 oz each) & keep them from spoiling when I work outdoors on foot (no car or bike) for up to 10 plus hours straight, especially during summer?

I work as an on foot courier (no car or bike) & I'm outdoors, away from a fridge & microwave for up to 8 - 10 hours straight a day making pick ups & deliveries in NYC. So, I need advice to keep all my meals fresh for this amount of time to avoid getting sick from spoiled food.

I eat about 28 to 32 oz per meal — if that matters.

PS

I've tried insulated bags and none have lived up to its duties. They don't even last 4 to 5 hours. I'm tired of wasting money on the bags and none of them working. So, I figured that you guys can help me with this lifehack

Last edited:
Have you thought about just buying lunch/food? I mean there has to be a place with food in NYC :rolleyes:

I would be making a trip to Dominque Ansel's bakery on Spring street for a cronut.

Have you thought about just buying lunch/food? I mean there has to be a place with food in NYC :rolleyes:

I would be making a trip to Dominque Ansel's bakery on Spring street for a cronut.

He wants to bring his lunch. Cheaper and healthier, ya fat bastard.

Backpack with freeze packs inside of fabric coolers. Freeze bottled water to aid in meal freshness and to keep hydrated. They'll melt through out the day.

Gonna have your work cut out for you this summer. Caches at constant stops might be an option.

You can find just about any kind of food in NYC, just about anywhere. I get it. I lived in MYC and I was the only person who brought food for lunch. People looked at me liek I was from another planet - LOL.

You can find just about any kind of food in NYC, just about anywhere. I get it. I lived in MYC and I was the only person who brought food for lunch. People looked at me liek I was from another planet - LOL.

You sound drunk. Eat some more take home, fatty.

Yea, save ALOT money, especially being in NYC. Plus, I trust my own hands on my own food as opposed to fast food.

Who cares what others look at you like? Let them be unhealthy or broke unless they've got it like that financially.

If they not paying for each of my meals everyday then idgaf what they think lol.

I bet chicks would be turned on by the fact that a guy can cook, is orgainised and dedicated to something as well as financially conscious. That's just me though. I can be wrong... I doubt it.

Backpack with freeze packs inside of fabric coolers. Freeze bottled water to aid in meal freshness and to keep hydrated. They'll melt through out the day.

Gonna have your work cut out for you this summer. Caches at constant stops might be an option.

Yea, I went through it last summer but would be hungry out the ass some days since I couldn't constantly afford buying out for multiple meals to hit my caloric intake. So, I figured i be more logical and dedicated this summer. No excuses.

Yea, I went through it last summer but would be hungry out the ass some days since I couldn't constantly afford buying out for multiple meals to hit my caloric intake. So, I figured i be more logical and dedicated this summer. No excuses.

Are there places you stop at that you're friendly with? We have Gatorade and ice water where I work for delivery peeps during summer. Food storage wouldn't be that much more.

Are there places you stop at that you're friendly with? We have Gatorade and ice water where I work for delivery peeps during summer. Food storage wouldn't be that much more.

Not really.

I work for Postmates.

You reek of calories.

Here is what I ate today.

yogurt, 2 eggs, 5oz of broiled beef, steamed veggies, can of wild salmon with mayo, almonds, cashews, beets/greenapple/kale i juiced.

Here is what I ate today.

yogurt, 2 eggs, 5oz of broiled beef, steamed veggies, can of wild salmon with mayo, almonds, cashews, beets/greenapple/kale i juiced.

Spinach and blueberry smoothie for breakfast, half chicken breast with cauliflower, broccoli, and brown rice for lunch. Avacodo for dinner. You probably used a cup of miracle whip, fatty.

Hey dude, I'm in culinary school so I feel I have to help you! lol

First things first: The danger zone for food is between 40F to 140F so you will need to keep your food under 40F. You can only keep your food in the danger zone for about 2 hours (in total, non consecutive 2 hours). Count every minute the food is above 40F and/or below 140F. Remember the risk is greater when it's hot outside so you really need to figure it out a way to do this before summer time and honestly it might not even be worth the risk. Keep that in mind!

My suggestion involves freezing all your food. Is that something you could do? I don't want to explain my idea and tests you need to do and then find out you don't have access to a freezer lol Let me know if that's the case and will try to think about something else.

Here are some ideas.

- eat perishable stuff early in the day.
- sealed yogurt can last longer than 2 hrs. 2hrs is a random number probably based on 3 doubling times of bacteria disregarding stuff like type of bacteria and number at t=0.
- take canned tuna or salmon as cheap storeable protein.
- make a shake with protein powder and carrot juice
- there are fruits and veggies, along with nuts, that don't need reheating or low temp storage. Carrots, cucumber (with skin will last days), cherry tomatoes, celery

Two other ideas:
- many bodegas and food bar style delis in NYC have microwave ovens. You can always go into one to nuke your hot meals. If you put a bit of olive oil into the hot meal food it will raise the temperature ensuring you kill more bacteria.
- if you are super paranoid about bacteria growth rate on fruits and veggies, try a vegetable wash in the morning to start with as few bacteria as possible.

One other thing about bacteria and food. THere are a bunch of foods that inhibit bacterial growth. Ginger, garlic, fermented foods, salted foods, honey, pineapple, lemon, and a few others. If you add these items to your food it will slow bacteria growth.

Back