Need some fight career advice

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So i was suppose to have a fight this year but that's not going to happen now, because my gym is in nyc and i live in nj, plus i owe a lot of people money including my instructor in nyc, so i've been just strength training hitting the bag, working on explosiveness, looking up youtube videos on training exercises while i'm having my time off from the gym. I'm not looking for advice on how to get back in the gym, or how to get the money to pay all my debts. I need advice on something, so i want to compete in boxing and muay thai before going into an mma career, so i was suppose to have a muay thai smoker next month, but now i'ma have to wait until next year but my ultimate goal is mma, so i was going to join a new bjj in about a year or so, when i have had enough muay thai and boxing smokers, what advice i need on is should i do one muay thai smoker, then do one boxing smoker after? Or should i do a few muay thai smokers and then do a few boxing smokers?

It's usually a good idea to get a good foundation in one particular art, before dipping your toes into another......maybe find out what you enjoy most.

Id say forget about doing smokers in two different disciplines. non boxers get majorly fucked up in boxing. I guess it depends how old you are and what your base is. I would get started on the ground game asap.

Id say forget about doing smokers in two different disciplines. non boxers get majorly fucked up in boxing. I guess it depends how old you are and what your base is. I would get started on the ground game asap.

Lol so much this. I've never been hit so much in my life until I did an amateur boxing match.

I have kinda a background in bjj, my instructor makes me work on it every once in a while. Thats why i was going to join another bjj gym after im done with the smokers. My ultimate goal is mma. I know my weaknesses on the ground so i was going to work on them in another gym when i go into full mma training
It's usually a good idea to get a good foundation in one particular art, before dipping your toes into another......maybe find out what you enjoy most.

Yeah my ultimate goal is mma, i know thats what im going to enjoy the most. But i guess i'll focus on the muay thai for now then do some boxing smokers later like sometime next year.

Forgot to mention i'm 20 years old turning 21 in april, and i've been doing muay thai and boxing for 4 years, and been doing bjj for a lot less.

Edit: forgot ti mention that i don't train the bjj as much anymore but once i go into a full mma training i will work on all of my weaknesses in grappling, i need to work on takedown defense (my takedown defense has gotten a lot better though), definitely takedown offense, submissions defense and offence.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention i'm 20 years old turning 21 in april, and i've been doing muay thai and boxing for 4 years, and been doing bjj for a lot less.

Edit: forgot ti mention that i don't train the bjj as much anymore but once i go into a full mma training i will work on all of my weaknesses in grappling, i need to work on takedown defense (my takedown defense has gotten a lot better though), definitely takedown offense, submissions defense and offence.

Get a good base in submission wrestling, supplement with BJJ no Gi, if your attending a gym that does Muay Thai and Boxing, it should not be as difficult as attending 2 different gyms and should allow you to do a few smokers in both.

You will get further in MMA with a very good Grappling game, don't neglect it, as you already have 4 years striking experience......and at your age that should have stuck in there real well......

And remember you can do Grappling tournaments too, that will test you.

Do everything. You should have been doing wrestling/bjj a long time ago though.

Get a good base in submission wrestling, supplement with BJJ no Gi, if your attending a gym that does Muay Thai and Boxing, it should not be as difficult as attending 2 different gyms and should allow you to do a few smokers in both.

You will get further in MMA with a very good Grappling game, don't neglect it, as you already have 4 years striking experience......and at your age that should have stuck in there real well......

And remember you can do Grappling tournaments too, that will test you.

I kind of want to do grappling tournaments but i don't want to be in the gi, so i think i'ma do some grappling tournaments sometime in 2018 also, i getting back to my gym in december once i pay off everyones debt that i owe, i have been training for 4 years but haven't done any fights yet. So i guess i'ma do some muay thai smokers first and if i can a grappling tournament i know a gym near my gym in nyc that does no gi grappling so it should be better.

non boxers don't necessarily get fucked up in boxing smokers, five muay thai pro fights and you are sorted

non boxers don't necessarily get fucked up in boxing smokers, five muay thai pro fights and you are sorted
I guess it depends how good the guy you are boxing is. If he has been doing it for a long time it could go very bad for the muay thai guy. Two totally different sports. Plus Ive known some pro muay thai guys with terrible hands and defense against punches.

Last edited:
Get a job and pay your old instructors. Those dudes have to eat too you selfish prick.

Get a job and pay your old instructors. Those dudes have to eat too you selfish prick.
I do have a job i have a job at the airport, i have more debts then just my insructor to pay, i have my mom, my dad, i dont know if im paying for the damage of this random girl in newarks 2015 bmw, but i should be able to pay it all off by nov.

I do have a job i have a job at the airport, i have more debts then just my insructor to pay, i have my mom, my dad, i dont know if im paying for the damage of this random girl in newarks 2015 bmw, but i should be able to pay it all off by nov.
your parents can wait and the chick with the car doesn't need it. Pay your instructors first

your parents can wait and the chick with the car doesn't need it. Pay your instructors first

Its one instructor, but my mom and dad want their money by next week idk how thats going to work because if i give them the money before my instructor i'm broke again. I keep on telling them that i have to pay my instructor first and their like we want our money by next week, like wtf, i have priorities if this money shit and all this other shit didn't happen i would've had my fight and gotten better and better throughout the year i just got someone from the ymca whose also a fighter to help me out, and i looked sloppy against him in the second round of sparring. But it will get better i just got to get through this year and then shit will get a lot better.

Its one instructor, but my mom and dad want their money by next week idk how thats going to work because if i give them the money before my instructor i'm broke again. I keep on telling them that i have to pay my instructor first and their like we want our money by next week, like wtf, i have priorities if this money shit and all this other shit didn't happen i would've had my fight and gotten better and better throughout the year i just got someone from the ymca whose also a fighter to help me out, and i looked sloppy against him in the second round of sparring. But it will get better i just got to get through this year and then shit will get a lot better.
just tell them if they ever want to see their future grand kids they better lay off ;)

just tell them if they ever want to see their future grand kids they better lay off ;)
My parents are pakistani, their arrogant as fuck and really good with their money. Like i'm getting 2 checks next week on fri, so ill see how much money is in their and then i'll ask them if i can give them installments, like pay it off by portions.

tl:dr. Pay your instructor.

Well i worked out a deal with my mom and dad, now i just got to see how much is in my check from my old job that i recently got fired from because they weren't understanding that i had a second job and my check from the airport. And i have another guy training me, who has been traininf for a longtime and hasn't been beaten in his amatuer fights. But since i had my lay off from my gym my conditioning got worse, but i can get my conditioning back in 2 weeks, training with a conditioning mask on swimming and running on a treadmil with a conditioning mask on so i think i'm good for now. When i get back to my gym in nov, i will be better and i will be stronger, with more punching power.

Back