Need some advice on academy etiquette

MrMiller360

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I knew this question has been asked so I'll keep it short and specific to my situation. I currently train at a gym that offers 2days/wk of nogi, 2days/wk kickboxing, and open mat with kids classes on the 5th day. I don't compete in kickboxing or MMA but I do compete in nogi tournaments.

I simply want more mat time so I've sought out another academy that only offers gi 5 days/wk. is it offensive to my home gym (I don't think my instructor cares but I'll ask him next week) to grapple gi at another academy on days that my home gym offers only boxing/kickboxing ? This way I'm getting 4 days a week of grappling, 2 gi 2 nogi but at two academies. I will say that many of the amateur fighters cross train striking at a muay Thai gym down the street. Isn't it the same if I cross train gi at another gym as well?

Thanks for the input.

I knew this question has been asked so I'll keep it short and specific to my situation. I currently train at a gym that offers 2days/wk of nogi, 2days/wk kickboxing, and open mat with kids classes on the 5th day. I don't compete in kickboxing or MMA but I do compete in nogi tournaments.

I simply want more mat time so I've sought out another academy that only offers gi 5 days/wk. is it offensive to my home gym (I don't think my instructor cares but I'll ask him next week) to grapple gi at another academy on days that my home gym offers only boxing/kickboxing ? This way I'm getting 4 days a week of grappling, 2 gi 2 nogi but at two academies. I will say that many of the amateur fighters cross train striking at a muay Thai gym down the street. Isn't it the same if I cross train gi at another gym as well?

Thanks for the input.

Creonte.... Jk do what's best for you.

It used to be bad form but people have lightened up and cross train more. If your instructor cares I would probably switch academies altogether. You're the customer, not him

You will have to ask each coaches.

Some people would get pissed at you.

The conversation should be pretty easy if they are only offering the 2 days a week.

"Eh bro...on night there isn't jits, i'm going to go roll at XYZ. When we have class I'm here" :brofist:

But definitely talk to him and explain why, he should be cool.

Thanks for the responses. Exactly what I was thinking and looking to hear. I figure that if they don't offer the services on those days then it can't be a huge deal. Either way I'll discuss it with my coach. Thanks guys.

LOL, look at it this way,

U go train gi to supplement and get better.

U go compete No gi and crush.

Hows that a downside for your first gym?

Trick question!

It's not!

Train hard man!

The conversation should be pretty easy if they are only offering the 2 days a week.

"Eh bro...on night there isn't jits, i'm going to go roll at XYZ. When we have class I'm here" :brofist:

But definitely talk to him and explain why, he should be cool.

This is the answer. I crosstrain at other gyms for open mats, and even some days I miss instruction at my gym for comp training at another gym. My instructor knows what I'm doing, and there is no question where my home is.

Just like any relationship, communicate.

or u could switch gyms altogether to a place that offers more classes to your liking

If you are paying the first instructor I really can't see how he can be upset. You are going someplace else since there is no other option in your current gym. If he is giving you free classes then he may have some reason to be upset. Other than this one situation, I think you'll be fine as long as you tell him what you are doing and why.

Thanks for the input.

I am kind of in the process of looking at different clubs as well. I have noticed their being a rivalry and thats more income to the club you are at instead of a new one.

Something we do in my club is breaking bread, coffee, and training outside. We've did things like road trips or partied, gone to bars or clubs, met up with girls and, just had a kickass time.

There are a few within the club that bash other arts and it pisses me off. I have always seen myself as a mix martial artist. I don't fight or compete but, I have never stuck to just one thing. I have done a variety but, i would like to reach a black belt by the time I am middle age.

There maybe fall out. I think you just got to know whats up.

It depends on the instructor of your home academy. I am in almost exactly the same situation as you, except I desire more Gi training. My academy only does it 3 days a week, and I would like to attend another to get 5 days a week. But my instructor is very traditional and would absolutely lose his shit on me and kick me out of the academy. He would know immediately, too, because he's well known in the area. That doesn't make sense to me, but that's just the way he is. I respect him and he's an awesome person and trainer, so I've made the decision to just stick with him and the 3 days a week and do my best.

It depends on the instructor of your home academy. I am in almost exactly the same situation as you, except I desire more Gi training. My academy only does it 3 days a week, and I would like to attend another to get 5 days a week. But my instructor is very traditional and would absolutely lose his shit on me and kick me out of the academy. He would know immediately, too, because he's well known in the area. That doesn't make sense to me, but that's just the way he is. I respect him and he's an awesome person and trainer, so I've made the decision to just stick with him and the 3 days a week and do my best.

A lot of instructors are like this, and this is one of the reasons why I no longer do BJJ. I can not understand the BJJ culture, if it was a non profit club that offered training for a minimum fee, then I could understand the feeling of being betrayed when someone goes to a competitors club. However if you are paying the guy, you are giving him a monetary exchange for his goods and services, it is a business transaction. What right do these assholes ( and the world is full of them) have to take your money and then expect total loyalty from a customer. I do not understand it.

A lot of instructors are like this, and this is one of the reasons why I no longer do BJJ. I can not understand the BJJ culture, if it was a non profit club that offered training for a minimum fee, then I could understand the feeling of being betrayed when someone goes to a competitors club. However if you are paying the guy, you are giving him a monetary exchange for his goods and services, it is a business transaction. What right do these assholes ( and the world is full of them) have to take your money and then expect total loyalty from a customer. I do not understand it.

While I agree with your point of view, there could be other factors in the balance.
Not all clubs are the same. Some gyms are worst than others. Some gyms allows students heelhook white belt. Some gyms are notorious to have staph infections every 6 months.

And then let talk techniques. You try to implement a structure and then the customer goes away and learn a total new game.

It is like a hairdresser worst nightmare when you have to fix someone hair every time he goes somewhere else.

Personally I don't care but I can see why an instructor will be frustrated at trying to mold someone skills just to watch it getting undone the following week.

For an easy example, let say you try to implement a specific style of jiu jitsu and then the customer goes and train in another gym that does the opposite!

It is OK once they reach a certain maturity in Bjj skills but otherwise it is annoying.

It is annoying as watching white belts trying out a YouTube video while they should try the techniques that you got paid to teach during that class that they spent their hard earned cash.

My old hard case instructor will not allowed students to chat and forced them to watch rolling. What a narrow ego centric guy??? But at the end, he just wanted students to watch and learn from others rolling instead of talking about the latest movie they have seen.

Crazy dude!

Back