Need Ideas! Future guns..

Kframe

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am an amature writer. Me and friend are co-writing a fanfiction set in the Aliens universe, approx. 300 years after resurrection. So we have the plot, but we are trying to come up with future weapons. Granted, we don't have to, but it helps to establish the timeline, and show some progress in technology.

Granted we all know what that m41a pulse rifle looks like from Aliens, my question is what would a gun 300 years later from that look like? In Aliens, it is presumed they are using caseless ammo. Since our story is a few centuries beyond that, we going with the idea of the weapons be Magnetic Coil Rifles. Coil rifles are different then Rail guns, in that the bullet floats down the barrel, never touching the metal, using magnetic fields to spin/stabilize the bullets instead of lands and groves.

So, what are your ideas for how such weapons would look? I came up with a design that resembles a Fn-Fal, but that is a bland design. Very functional, though. And I own a FAL, and I love that gun. .308 hits like brick.,
Now bear in mind that while I want the guns to look cool, I want functionality before any other concerns. The caliber for the ammunition is 9mm. Not light weight, think 180-220 grain bullets.

I thought about something like the Avenger 8 from Mass Effect Andromeda, but the large curved magazine that loads from the top would make it unrealistic and unwieldy. Especially for trying to aim the damn thing. My friend came up with a design based on the FN2000 but that is such a thick and tall gun that I just don't see it as battle worthy.

So thanks in advance guys, I am hoping to get the creative juices going. Even if no one idea works, I can use any and all of them to make a composite.

Just compare the standard infantry issued weapon from the 1700s was to now.

I don't think we will ever really see top loading magazines again unless you count a belt fed like an M2 a top loaded mag.

They had them in WWI and WWII and we haven't really seen any since.

Something integrated into an armored combat suit.

Just imagine to problems with individual weapons systems, then think up something integral.

Suit, com, weapon.

In 1000 years from now I'd like to have some kind of laser/electronic pulse weapon mounted to my helmet with sighting through my glasses/visor. And a battery pack that is solar or some nuclear shit that never runs out. Outside of that guns are guns. You're sending as much metal down range as fast as you can and since the human body isn't changing there's only so many comfortable ways to hold and utilize a firearm.

Just compare the standard infantry issued weapon from the 1700s was to now.

I don't think we will ever really see top loading magazines again unless you count a belt fed like an M2 a top loaded mag.

They had them in WWI and WWII and we haven't really seen any since.

That is what I was thinking, and that is why I scratched my head when I saw the Avenger 8. Loading from the top just makes no sense, unless it is belt fed.

So far my mind tells me that the over all shapes of the guns might not be too different, as most of them would be all plastics, with the electronics in the center. I feel that they would go for a lighter, easier to carry theme. Given how huge the m41 was.

Something integrated into an armored combat suit.

Just imagine to problems with individual weapons systems, then think up something integral.

Suit, com, weapon.

This idea is a good one. The only problem I see, is that the Aliens Universe is strange in its Technological scaling. I mean, compare the tech seen in Aliens, to the stuff seen in Resurrection and it is not much of a change, even though that is a few hundred years after Alien 3. We hypothesized that, like real life, there must have been some dark ages in that universe were progress stopped or reversed. So, I am not sure if they would have functioning mech suits..

Though, a weapon system integrated with an existing armor system, maybe as a arm mounted thing with ammo feeding off a strip system coming from the back? ..

Come on bruh. Laser beams. There's no bullets in the future.

Come on bruh. Laser beams. There's no bullets in the future.
We don't have the ability to shrink the power supply to the point it would carry able by an average person. That is the real world consideration. Now for their world, I would have to look into it, as I am unsure how small their power packs are.

I think an electron gun is an interesting idea. Something that shoots streams of electricity.

That is what I was thinking, and that is why I scratched my head when I saw the Avenger 8. Loading from the top just makes no sense, unless it is belt fed.

So far my mind tells me that the over all shapes of the guns might not be too different, as most of them would be all plastics, with the electronics in the center. I feel that they would go for a lighter, easier to carry theme. Given how huge the m41 was.
whats crazy is the Pulse rifle is the most realistic sci-fi weapon ever truly conceived. For the extra size of the weapon vs modern contemporary ones, you are getting a ridiculous amount of extra fire power for not much gain in weight. compare a modern M4 carbine with an m203 to a standard M41. The M41 has a higher cyclic rate, a vastly higher round count per magazine, fires a superior round and combines that with a faster firing integrated grenade launcher.

lets not even get into the smart gun. id kill for a real life version of that as a squad support weapon

Back