Need help with Internet/router/modem issues

Ghost in the Shell

DEUS EX MACHINA
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Due to poor Internet connection, I may not see the replies in time or respond either. Regardless, I am desperate and in need of help.

Currently, my router - a Netgear Dwc2000 or something like that - was able to connect to my PC, but nothing else. My phone, tablet, tv, etc I'll recognize the signal, but won't connect to the Internet. I've already tried shutting it off, switching wires, logging into the modem (worked once) but nothing has worked.

I'm curious to know if this issue is because of more than one thing, if it's a configuration problem or if the service is flat-out bad. I'll try posting images that can help explain this even more. Thank you in advance to anyone who contributes.

Try hard wiring a computer into the devices. If you get no Internet on either than your Internet probably down, if you get it while hardwired in your router is having issues.

What error message do your devices give when they connect to wifi but can't access the internet?

There are a number of things that could be happening and you'll need to provide more information before we can solve this.

I recommend upgrading the firmware on your router to the latest version before doing much else.

Due to poor Internet connection, I may not see the replies in time or respond either. Regardless, I am desperate and in need of help.

Currently, my router - a Netgear Dwc2000 or something like that - was able to connect to my PC, but nothing else. My phone, tablet, tv, etc I'll recognize the signal, but won't connect to the Internet. I've already tried shutting it off, switching wires, logging into the modem (worked once) but nothing has worked.

I'm curious to know if this issue is because of more than one thing, if it's a configuration problem or if the service is flat-out bad. I'll try posting images that can help explain this even more. Thank you in advance to anyone who contributes.

Make sure you have the interfaces for your shit on the inside interface and you cable modem plugged into the outside interface
make sure you have dhcp running on the router
maker sure there are addresses free on dhcp
make sure it is natting

if you ever change what is actually connected to your cable modem, you have to reboot the modem.

Because the person that makes this thread knows about dhcp? Or natting? Stop trying to sound smart and consider your audience.

I've already used admin mode to make this a shared/private network and it worked once, not it doesn't.

This is from my phone, the network is recognized but it only keeps trying to log in. Not sure if I'm missing something.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 13
Reset you router to factory specs as you probably fucked something up

I've already used admin mode to make this a shared/private network and it worked once, not it doesn't.

This is from my phone, the network is recognized but it only keeps trying to log in. Not sure if I'm missing something.

First, you don't need to block your IP address. That is, or should be, an internal address. If it's not rebooting your router will change your IP address and you'll have identified the problem.

As Pixelated Pom mentioned, your router needs to be doing network address translation(NAT) and you probably want it set as a DHCP server. You only want one DHCP server per network or you'll get errors.

From the look of your screenshot your DHCP server isn't providing all the information your computer needs.

You should see something like this:

IP Address: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router(Or Gateway): 192.168.1.1
DNS Server: This IP address will be provided by your ISP.

Call your isp and tell them you don't know what you are doing and ask for help

First, you don't need to block your IP address. That is, or should be, an internal address. If it's not rebooting your router will change your IP address and you'll have identified the problem.

As Pixelated Pom mentioned, your router needs to be doing network address translation(NAT) and you probably want it set as a DHCP server. You only want one DHCP server per network or you'll get errors.

From the look of your screenshot your DHCP server isn't providing all the information your computer needs.

You should see something like this:

IP Address: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router(Or Gateway): 192.168.1.1
DNS Server: This IP address will be provided by your ISP.

Thing is, I needed to go into the menu and do what I said so that my PC would connect to the Internet. I was even more confused because all I did was uncheck and check two/three options then close the window to get a signal. Still, no devices would connect.

Also, you make it sound so easy, yet when I'm in the menu, I lose it - could be cause I'm desperate. Even worse is that the only options for fixing this in Windows 10 are broadband and dial-up. Major drag...

Are you using a Mac? If not, that might be your problem. They're like the BMW of computers. Sounds like all you need is a Retina display to solve your issue.

Because the person that makes this thread knows about dhcp? Or natting? Stop trying to sound smart and consider your audience.

I am doing my best to give him an answer and you do nothing but whine and bitch as usual.

As far as nat and dhcp I am sure he can google this along with the router model and find some relatively simple instructions if need be. Sorry I made you feel stupid but I can't help to think your parents might be partially at fault as well.

Thing is, I needed to go into the menu and do what I said so that my PC would connect to the Internet. I was even more confused because all I did was uncheck and check two/three options then close the window to get a signal. Still, no devices would connect.

Also, you make it sound so easy, yet when I'm in the menu, I lose it - could be cause I'm desperate. Even worse is that the only options for fixing this in Windows 10 are broadband and dial-up. Major drag...

If you are available tomorrow we can try doing live troubleshooting via this thread.

If you are available tomorrow we can try doing live troubleshooting via this thread.

I'm available in Wednesday, not sure when the tech is coming but I'm willing to do anything at this point. I managed to somehow make my iPad connect, but not my PC or everything else.

Thank you so much.

Are you using a Mac? If not, that might be your problem. They're like the BMW of computers. Sounds like all you need is a Retina display to solve your issue.

I'm not and highly doubt OS are the issue.

Back