need help choosing a punching bag

JoJo52

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first punching bag and I'm not sure what kind I should get. I'll be using it for exercise mostly, don't plan on doing serious fight training any time soon. The help is much appreciated.

Info that might be relevant to the question:
I know the basics of throwing a punch, so hurting my wrists/hands shouldn't be an issue.

I'll only be throwing punches.

I really wanna let loose on the bag, not sure if lighter bags would hold up (yup, probably overestimating myself lol).

I'm 5'10" and 235 lbs. Bulk, not lean

Last edited:
How much do you weight ? In example, I am 185lb and I use a 100lb + bag. It moves but no too much. Just enough to make me move.

Is there a rule of thumb for bag weight involving body weight?

Not a real rule for bag weight. I use different size bags for different things. Depends on how you're hanging it too. If you're using a little bag stand, probably want something 100 lbs or more so it doesn't swing too much. If you're hanging it from the ceiling and you have some space to move, you can go lighter.

I would say probably go 100lbs or more. Stay away from Everlast and the other bags from Dick's sporting goods as the filler material is complete shite and the bags never last. Leather is expensive and requires upkeep but is my favorite.

Apparently Outslayer is pretty great, but I've never used them. I like the Pro Boxing Supplies at the gym.

What do you think of this bag?
http://www.ringside.com/century-vinyl-heavy-bag-kit-100-lbs.html

It's vinyl, not sure how much of a drop in quality that is

I would stay away from Century. My brother had one (not same model) and we emptied it and it was filled with shredded fabrics with 5 bags of sand in the middle to add weight.

Outslayer is one of the best you can get and not expensive. They feel great also even if it's synthetic.

What do you think of this bag?
http://www.ringside.com/century-vinyl-heavy-bag-kit-100-lbs.html

It's vinyl, not sure how much of a drop in quality that is

There are different tiers of vinyl/synthethic leather. I hate to say, but I would actually recommend against ordering from Ringside.

Title occasionally sells their heavybags at a discount every once in a while. You should actually call to see if they have any discounted bags in stock. They're advertised as being the same as their retail bags just with cosmetic defects.

If you're really trying to save, maybe look to buy one unfilled and fill it yourself. Their are threads on this as well as video instructions online.

Just curious, are those water bags any good?

Are you talking about the Aquapunchingbag ? They are awesome ! You can also get a Taylor Made tuff end buoy (it's the same without the pimp colors) for half de price. I have one and it's really fun.

• They do look pretty sick! Only thing I'm worried about is I wanna do body-head combos and it doesn't look possible on those. I'm going with the title unfilled 100 lb bag unless someone has another suggestion. Thanks for the help guys and who knows, if Gabriel rosado can start boxing at 18, why can't I do the same!

• They do look pretty sick! Only thing I'm worried about is I wanna do body-head combos and it doesn't look possible on those. I'm going with the title unfilled 100 lb bag unless someone has another suggestion. Thanks for the help guys and who knows, if Gabriel rosado can start boxing at 18, why can't I do the same!

just don't fight GGG.

Before you spend a lot of money on a new one check to see if you have a title boxing workout gym near you. they sold me a used one for 25 dollars. was in good shape and already broken in.

Closest one is a solid 2 hours away. Won't be saving much after the gas money. I could try another gym but I don't mind investing in a new bag. I saved up for this. Thanks anyways

Back