need advice on straight punches

I remember a seminar with Fedor where he told everyone to take small steps with EVERY punch. Can't find it now.

I think it was in his book or something, can't remember where I picked it up, but he did this neat series of step hooks. Circle step to the left while throwing a right hook, step with your right while throwing the left hook and continue to circle around your opponent while throwing hooks. Neat drill.

Stepping on EVERY punch... eh. Everyone needs to learn how to throw punches without tap dancing around the ring. I see a lot of MMA guys on youtube or anywhere advocating only learning how to throw these crazy fastball punches that are intended to end a fight with a single shot. MMA and boxing are different sports, but that's taking it a step (pun intended) too far.

I think it was in his book or something, can't remember where I picked it up, but he did this neat series of step hooks. Circle step to the left while throwing a right hook, step with your right while throwing the left hook and continue to circle around your opponent while throwing hooks. Neat drill.

Stepping on EVERY punch... eh. Everyone needs to learn how to throw punches without tap dancing around the ring. I see a lot of MMA guys on youtube or anywhere advocating only learning how to throw these crazy fastball punches that are intended to end a fight with a single shot. MMA and boxing are different sports, but that's taking it a step (pun intended) too far.
yeah I learned from a boxing coach to step with the jab and the 1 2.

It's two things.

1) Just a practicality. Some of you small guys might be able to land a counter cross with a step, but I can't move my body that fast. Jab speed beats a stepping 2. Also think about something as simple a 1-2-pull-2, stepping every single punch means FOUR steps in half a second. Just imagining that is ridiculous. I don't want to do an Irish jig every time I want to a throw a punch, I'm not Domick Cruz.

2) If I had to invent an outline for punching it would be like...1A. Is it energy efficient? 1B. Is it speedy/nontelegraphed enough? 2A What happens if I get hit during the punch? 2B Is the punch going to cause me to get hit?

If stepping every single punch gives you a satisfactory answer on those 4 questions then have at it. For me it's "no" or "not good" for all 4. Most of the time.

It's two things.

1) Just a practicality. Some of you small guys might be able to land a counter cross with a step, but I can't move my body that fast. Jab speed beats a stepping 2. Also think about something as simple a 1-2-pull-2, stepping every single punch means FOUR steps in half a second. Just imagining that is ridiculous. I don't want to do an Irish jig every time I want to a throw a punch, I'm not Domick Cruz.

2) If I had to invent an outline for punching it would be like...1A. Is it energy efficient? 1B. Is it speedy/nontelegraphed enough? 2A What happens if I get hit during the punch? 2B Is the punch going to cause me to get hit?

If stepping every single punch gives you a satisfactory answer on those 4 questions then have at it. For me it's "no" or "not good" for all 4. Most of the time.
oh ic, so you are more of a counter puncher in a sense? or maybe you wait for them to come into your range?

I am a counter striker and also extra large, but IMO stepping with a punch is a finishing move. I don't think you can be a complete striker at any size if you can't throw punches without moving your feet. Weight shifting accomplishes the same thing without being momentarily airborne.

not familiar with that one

The setup involves an offer of a cigarette to the victim at some point the victims jaw will be open......then you deliver the punch to the jaw in the open position.....giving a better chance of a broken jaw.

Back