need advice on straight punches

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
i was taught to take tiny steps with each straight punch. Can you just stand and place pivot your back leg for the cross?

Tiny steps would be if you're pursing your opponent when they're backing up. Ideally you want to pivot and follow through to get as much power as you can.

i was taught to take tiny steps with each straight punch. Can you just stand and place pivot your back leg for the cross?

Your back foot should not be trailing you, it should be under or nearly under you and you should be pushing off of it (the sturdy part/ball, not the toes) for your right hands.

If you leave it "back there" that's the mistake every noobie makes and it really completely messes up everything from your balance to delivery to mobility, it just ruins everything. Don't be like that.

---

Wait I think I see what you're saying. Yes, you don't have to take any step to throw the right hand you can just sit and pivot right where you are, that's perfectly good, assuming your feet are right when you throw. You'll still be pushing off your right foot as you throw, though, that's where the power comes from.

Last edited:
You can step on the jab, don't step on the rear punch.

You can step on the jab, don't step on the rear punch.

I'm not sure that Jimmy is doing it while standing still. It sounds like it's while moving and following on from a jab

You can throw any punch while moving in any direction, or standing still.

I'm not sure that Jimmy is doing it while standing still. It sounds like it's while moving and following on from a jab
yeah you know what I'm talking about. How you step in with the one two.

yeah you know what I'm talking about. How you step in with the one two.
It drags behind, and you plant it when you throw the cross. Don't punch while your foot isn't connected to the floor. This sounds slow, but it happens pretty quick.

Look at the first few before he goes full NFL mode

BelfortWanderlei.gif

It drags behind, and you plant it when you throw the cross. Don't punch while your foot isn't connected to the floor. This sounds slow, but it happens pretty quick.

Look at the first few before he goes full NFL mode

BelfortWanderlei.gif
yeah thats how I'm doing it. Its basically like the way nate diaz throws that one two vs mcgregor. I can do that. but I'm just trying to figure out how to throw the cross and not make it an arm punch while standing still.

yeah thats how I'm doing it. Its basically like the way nate diaz throws that one two vs mcgregor. I can do that. but I'm just trying to figure out how to throw the cross and not make it an arm punch while standing still.

Start with the weight on the back foot, back heel down and lead heel up, lead foot pointed at the target, lead shoulder out in front also pointed at the target. Make sure your back foot is under you, and not in line with the lead foot. That's your beginning position. Now drop your lead heel while pushing into the ground with the ball of your rear foot, lifting the rear heel off the ground. Your right knee turns in and drops down as your torso rotates. The right side comes forward as the left side comes back, there's a push and a pull. The arm extends straight out with the elbow staying down until the last second when the arm rotates so that your 2 big knuckles are aimed right at the target. As the punch is landing, you drop your weight slightly, sitting down on the punch for balance and leverage. Don't lean into it, trust in the rotation of your body and subtle weight shift from back foot to front foot to create the power. This all needs to happen in coordination. Once you get it right you'll have a loaded cannon ready to fire at any moment.

Post a video for corrections.

Start with the weight on the back foot, back heel down and lead heel up, lead foot pointed at the target, lead shoulder out in front also pointed at the target. Make sure your back foot is under you, and not in line with the lead foot. That's your beginning position. Now drop your lead heel while pushing into the ground with the ball of your rear foot, lifting the rear heel off the ground. Your right knee turns in and drops down as your torso rotates. The right side comes forward as the left side comes back, there's a push and a pull. The arm extends straight out with the elbow staying down until the last second when the arm rotates so that your 2 big knuckles are aimed right at the target. As the punch is landing, you drop your weight slightly, sitting down on the punch for balance and leverage. Don't lean into it, trust in the rotation of your body and subtle weight shift from back foot to front foot to create the power. This all needs to happen in coordination. Once you get it right you'll have a loaded cannon ready to fire at any moment.

Post a video for corrections.
thanks for the advice man. I will follow it.

The reason you were told that was probably to get you to put your weight into your punches. You can get your weight into your punches without stepping, but stepping into punches will give you maximum power (and also make you more vulnerable to counters).

The reason you were told that was probably to get you to put your weight into your punches. You can get your weight into your punches without stepping, but stepping into punches will give you maximum power (and also make you more vulnerable to counters).
even if they are tiny little steps?

Whatever keeps you balanced, defensively responsibly and offensive making those punches strait, snapping, and thunderous. I can where both the "small steps" and the "pivot only" schools of thought are getting you to the same point in terms of punch delivery.

why dont you step on the rear punch by itself? too telegraphed?

I think I misunderstood the topic. You can step as part of a jab. You can definitely step to advance a rear punch, but not "during" like a jab.

Edit: Even that's not the full case. The general rule is you want your feet planted when you're punching (even if it looks like you're moving everywhere your feet are planted during the actual punch), but sometimes you throw punches without being properly planted and that's ok. Just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited:
I remember a seminar with Fedor where he told everyone to take small steps with EVERY punch. Can't find it now.

Back