Neck training

Davem10

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How often do you guys train your neck to get it big and thick

Specifically wrestlers as they seem to have the biggest necks (not interested in psting pictures of boxers of football players with bigger necks lol)

Ive recently started and have been doing bridges, front back and sides using my hands to take some of the weight, 50 reps each side 2 times round

occasionally use a neck harness too

I just dont seem to have any rhyme or reason behind the training though, i just seem to do it whenever i feel like it

How often should i be training it and does anyone have a specific routine they have used with success ?

if you want to build your neck for the looks only you should think about more safe exercises than bridges in all directions. neck nods, harness and manual self resistance are good to control. isometrics against a wall gave me the most size and strength i believe. you can add weight to this after time. also lying neck nods with a weight plate are great.

the traditional bridging always felt strange and discomfortable to me. but i am not a fighter and don't need it anyway.

also the good old compounds like deadlifts, rows and standing presses add fundamental size to the whole girdle including the neck muscles, not just the traps.

Overhead press and headbanging for a neck wider than ya head.

4kdzia.jpg
Overhead press and headbanging for a neck wider than ya head.

this is totally true. just check out pictures of death metal bands. they all got big necks. george fisher of cannibal corpse is the world champion of headbanging and you can see it.

4kdzia.jpg

this is totally true. just check out pictures of death metal bands. they all got big necks. george fisher of cannibal corpse is the world champion of headbanging and you can see it.

Your head is a weight, the neck has evolved to move it. It's truth. Plain and simple.

Just put on some death metal for 10 min a day and do what comes naturally.

if you want to build your neck for the looks only you should think about more safe exercises than bridges in all directions. neck nods, harness and manual self resistance are good to control. isometrics against a wall gave me the most size and strength i believe. you can add weight to this after time. also lying neck nods with a weight plate are great.

the traditional bridging always felt strange and discomfortable to me. but i am not a fighter and don't need it anyway.

also the good old compounds like deadlifts, rows and standing presses add fundamental size to the whole girdle including the neck muscles, not just the traps.

Agree

And TS shrugs are a waste of time trust me. I spent too many years doing shrugs trying to get those Bill Goldberg traps.the exercise thats worked the best for me was when I switched to very heavy deadlifting.

My traps are by my ears now

My 2ct

http://www.theneckflex.com/take-action/

What do you guys think about this gadget?

That actually looks like a pretty decent piece of equipment. I have the ironmind neck harness, but this one is the same price but with more functionality. Might even purchase one myself some day.

But there are ways to strengthen ur neck in about the same way without having to dropping 100 bones on a new gym toy.

That actually looks like a pretty decent piece of equipment. I have the ironmind neck harness, but this one is the same price but with more functionality. Might even purchase one myself some day.

But there are ways to strengthen ur neck in about the same way without having to dropping 100 bones on a new gym toy.

I thought the Ironmind harness lets you work in different angles with the side holes?

Also, what other ways can you effectively train your neck? Please don't come with the neck roll bs that snapped up so many peoples spine including Tyson.

Agree

And TS shrugs are a waste of time trust me. I spent too many years doing shrugs trying to get those Bill Goldberg traps.the exercise thats worked the best for me was when I switched to very heavy deadlifting.

My traps are by my ears now

My 2ct

I think shrugs are a great exercise. I also think people make the mistake of doing them too light. If you look at coan's deadlifting program he incorporates a power shrug that is pretty high weight IIRC.

I started applying a shrug done heavy 4x8, almost like a low-pull and it seems to have been working great.

I get that there is sometimes a need for specifically training the neck, but for the general public (including athletes of all performances) just getting generally stronger and better at your skill works perfectly well. Heavy deadlifts and pulls will work wonders for your neck.

I do shrugs, front and back wrestler's bridges, neck flexion and static holds with a weight on my forehead whilst it hangs off the end of a bench.

Shrugs is all you need. Do about 20lb dumbbells with this scheme of 50x10. your neck and traps will be bulging like a roider

Shrugs is all you need. Do about 20lb dumbbells with this scheme of 50x10. your neck and traps will be bulging like a roider
50x10? With 20lb Dumbbells? That's not going to do shit. I hope you're trolling.

Mike Tyson did at least 10minutes a day in the back neck bridge.
George chuvalo did this headstand neck bridge variation for 30mins a day.

If those are too extreme here is my recommendation:

5-10min a day of:

Take a Swiss ball place it on a wall at head height, place your forehead on the ball. Place hands behind back your feet should be about 2 feet from wall so you are leaning your weight into ball. This hits the cervical flexors /sternomastoid and the muscles of the jaw like no other.

Also this is one from jack Dempsey to target the muscles along the back of neck:

5-10min a day :

Laying on back bring feet close to glutes, bridge up the hips. Instead of rolling head to try to touch nose to ground as in a regular back neck bridge,keep it inline with body ..so your points of contact on the ground are your feet,BACK of head and your elbows .
Try to remove elbows if you want to have a real challenge,i think you will find it extremely difficult but it is a way to increase intensity.

This isolates the back of neck better than ANY exercise I know of.

Back