Neck too big to choke -- how common is it?

why do you keep on briging this, didnt I express I do understand what you are saying?

for fuck sakes, I get it, its obvious that we down here, dont use the same metaphor in the same way, do I need to make my self clear once more? 360 IS A COMPLETE CIRCLE, COMPLETE is the key word, not the freaking direction...

180 is half of a circle.
360 is a complete.

I kind of noticed that this is a joke in the US, well, it is not to be taken as joke here, and we use 360 when we want to express a complete "insert action" here... have you guys ever though that may be, just may be, in some place of the world, things dont mean the exactly same thing it does in the US??

You decimated the competition with this post.

He killed one in ten of us?

Nailed-It.png

This thread tickles my happy place.

The initial topic of this thread wasn't that great, but then it did a complete 360 and became awesome.

the full rotation of a circle implies 360 degrees.
half rotation implies 180 degrees.

when you say something changes 360 degrees, its a metaphor, implying you have completely change something, it is not meant to be taken literally.

If I say a change of 180

Last edited:
why do you keep on briging this, didnt I express I do understand what you are saying?

for fuck sakes, I get it, its obvious that we down here, dont use the same metaphor in the same way, do I need to make my self clear once more? 360 IS A COMPLETE CIRCLE, COMPLETE is the key word, not the freaking direction...

180 is half of a circle.
360 is a complete.

I kind of noticed that this is a joke in the US, well, it is not to be taken as joke here, and we use 360 when we want to express a complete "insert action" here... have you guys ever though that may be, just may be, in some place of the world, things dont mean the exactly same thing it does in the US??

Can you provide a source that you've used this in a way that is correct anywhere in the world?

I've gone against people with big necks, but never to big to choke. I think training your neck to resists chokes would be less successful than bicep curls for armbar defense. There was a teenage kid at our school that was almost unchokeable by blood choke, and he had a pencil neck, probably some odd genetic placement of his arteries or something.

I know a black belt like this. She doesn't have a pencil neck, but her arteries are placed more towards the front of her neck, so standard blood chokes just don't work.

I was on my way to the war room, spun 360 and ended up here.

Awesome thread.

Hilarious thread. If you do a 720 on your skateboard, which direction do you end up facing?

No-one's neck is too big to choke, but some variations of chokes work better than others:

IMO, against big guys and guys with thick necks the RNC is best finished Hadaka Jime/Fedor style rather than Mata Leao/Sleeper Hold style, with the blade of the wrist/forearm crushing the trachea rather than cutting off the carotid arteries. A couple of small women in my class were saying they had trouble getting their arm all the way through for the rear naked choke, I suggested they try it this way and they both found it much easier. I personally use it a lot when my opponent is belly down under back mount and there isn't enough space to easily get my whole arm through - it works really really well because it simply doesn't require as much space.
<mma1>
#freeEinarr

Without reading the thread, I don't think there's a neck too big to choke. There will however be size discrepancies which in some cases make it harder for a person to get into a position to choke.

Wow. Hell of a necro.

I actually think it's easier to choke big necks than really small necks. If someone has a bird neck it can be really hard to take up that space. A big neck is easier to get a grip on. It can definitely take better mechanics and a little more power to finish against a big neck, and if your arms are shorter it can be harder to fully lock it up. But big necks and bird necks have equal problems.

Too big a neck makes it hard for me to pull off the ns choke. Then again, if their neck is too small it's also difficult. Somewhere in the middle seems to work best for me

Tony Hawk did a 900 when this thread was made. His long neck would be easy to choke.

Even if their neck was so big and strong that you couldn't quite get a blood choke in(its most likely a problem with a weak squeeze of poor technique), a strong wind choke on trachea will finish anyone.

Back