NCAA DI and UFC Chmapions

dsdoubled

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was just reading some older articles and was reminded of how good Johny Hendricks was in his prime. Then I realized that he is 1 of only a few fighters to hold both a UFC title and an NCAA DI title. For all the success that wrestlers and wrestling has enjoyed in the Octagon I was actually a little surprised by this stat. As far as I can remember, the only guys on this list are:
Mark Coleman
Mark Kerr
Kevin Randleman
Brock Lesnar
Johny Hendricks
And Shane Carwin was a DII and UFC Interim Champ.
Is there any that I am forgetting? Who could be next? NCAA champs in other major orgs?

Did any of the others hold two NCAA titles? (Hendricks was also ridiculously close to 3)

Did any of the others hold two NCAA titles? (Hendricks was also ridiculously close to 3)
Randleman was a 2x champ, 3x finalist, and didn't compete his senior year due to grades. What a damn shame as he was poised to be one of the greatest. I don't think he ever wrestled again. Lesnar was a 2x DI finalist. There are obviously other DI champs ho have competed in the UFC but none other won the title that I can recall. Guys like van Arsdale, Jake Rosholt, Koscheck, Munoz, and Phil Davis had varying levels of UFC success and won DI titles, and im aware of other DI champs who fought in other orgs, but only a few guys are on this list.

when you win a ncaa championship or world championship in wrestling you are a winner at life in general. what it takes to be at that stage u could almost go into any sport and win.

alot of masterful wrestlers wernt very technical with there wrestling when they got into the cage but were just tough as nails and could just put up a huge pace that broke guys

you think guys should be able to use steroids?
Im torn on it, but whether I feel they should be allowed or not, fact is guys were using them up until USADA and it made for a hell of a product. Part of me feels the old athletic commission tests were enough. That way allowed guys to use PEDs but they had to at least keep it reasonable to pass the test.

you think guys should be able to use steroids?

Personally, I think the UFC and the NFL should be doctor-supervised all-steroid, all-supplement, bionic prosthetic cybernetic genetically modified superman leagues. Eyes open, full disclosure, experiments done in full sunlight with results recorded for scientific posterity. We'd learn a shitload about biotech and human biology and also get the spectacle everyone secretly wants. There would be ethical problems about exploiting people willing to make the tradeoff of $$ vs their health, but let's be honest we're already faced with that question and mostly ignoring it.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm almost this very same topic just posted on the Sherdog front page. A day after my post.........

Darrion Caldwell is Bellator champ and of course Ben Askren and Cole Konrad were Bellator champs

bionic prosthetic cybernetic

Do you feel a brass knuckles implant would elevate the sport much?
It's an interesting question if without the need to doge that test all the fancy and weird steroids would over a significant advantage over the old school stuff (and how cometetive would a safeish dosage of steroids be).

Darrion Caldwell is Bellator champ and of course Ben Askren and Cole Konrad were Bellator champs
Yeah Bellator has had a few if I remember correctly. Askren, Caldwell, and Konrad, Bubba Jenkins, Koscheck, maybe another. As im sure you know, they've signed a shit ton of top level wrestlers over the years.

I am interested to see how Joey Davis and Tywan Claxton go. They are exciting, but I am not sure if they were NCAA champions.

But Shane Carwin? Damn, never would have thought that basing from his UFC fights.

Personally, I think the UFC and the NFL should be doctor-supervised all-steroid, all-supplement, bionic prosthetic cybernetic genetically modified superman leagues. Eyes open, full disclosure, experiments done in full sunlight with results recorded for scientific posterity. We'd learn a shitload about biotech and human biology and also get the spectacle everyone secretly wants. There would be ethical problems about exploiting people willing to make the tradeoff of $$ vs their health, but let's be honest we're already faced with that question and mostly ignoring it.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

yeah its not even n ufc though even guys who fight amateur have to fight guys who are probably roiding i mean if white belts who casually do tournaments are doing it im sure like 50% of fighters could be on it too sadly

Im torn on it, but whether I feel they should be allowed or not, fact is guys were using them up until USADA and it made for a hell of a product. Part of me feels the old athletic commission tests were enough. That way allowed guys to use PEDs but they had to at least keep it reasonable to pass the test.

from a fan watching i can see why ud want them to cause tons of guys went down and didnt get to see them that strong like vitor johnny hendricks ect

but as a competitor u have to see how its fucked up if you fought would you use illegal peds?

do you think it makes someone a bad person to say well since everyone else is using them and not testing i should do it too

I am interested to see how Joey Davis and Tywan Claxton go. They are exciting, but I am not sure if they were NCAA champions.

But Shane Carwin? Damn, never would have thought that basing from his UFC fights.
Yeah both Davis and Carwin were DII champs. Davis was different though, he was a 4x undefeated champ which is amazing. Claxton was very good, a DI standout and decent at freestyle but he never made all American. Though he did get screwed and lost a year of eligibility. He seems really to be a hell of a fighter though.

Do you feel a brass knuckles implant would elevate the sport much?
It's an interesting question if without the need to doge that test all the fancy and weird steroids would over a significant advantage over the old school stuff (and how cometetive would a safeish dosage of steroids be).
I'm not a fan of steroids, but blood doping? Make that shit legal. Nobody wants to see gassed out dudes in any televised sport.

Back