NC Republican Party seeks ‘party line changes’ to limit early voting hours

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The N.C. Republican Party encouraged GOP appointees to county elections boards to “make party line changes to early voting” by limiting the number of hours and keeping polling sites closed on Sundays.

NCGOP executive director Dallas Woodhouse emailed the request to Republican county board members and other party members on Sunday. The News & Observer obtained copies of the emails through a public records request.

County elections boards are developing new early voting schedules in response to a federal court ruling that threw out the state’s voter ID law. In addition to revoking North Carolina’s photo ID requirement, the ruling requires counties to offer 17 days of early voting.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article96179857.html

Fewer early voting opportunities: Woodhouse suggests limiting early voting hours because the sites allow voters to use same-day registration – a practice the voter ID law sought to eliminate.

No Sunday voting: Sunday early voting hours have been popular among African-Americans, some of whom organize “souls to the polls” events where church members vote together after Sunday services.

College campus sites unnecessary: Republican elections board members have frequently opposed opening early voting sites on college campuses, but others argue that the sites are needed because some students don’t have cars – making it difficult for them to access off-campus polling places. College students tend to be more liberal than the general population.

It should be said that a number of republican board members have rejected the idea of cutting hours and closing Sunday's.

N.C. went for Mitt in 12' and Obama 08'. Hard to for Trump to lose this state and win.

Repubs really need to shut the fuck up about anything that would make voting more difficult. Even in the aim isn't to damper minority or poor voters, it's getting harder to defend

I 100% agree with the ID needed to vote, but stop seemingly trying to close places down or cut hours unless it's a colossal waste of money. Every step should be taken to get the largest number of people to the voting booths

This is getting embarrassing. They just lost in court but they're going to try and backdoor it anyway.

The same day registration thing is particularly galling because in the case that they lost, the lack of fraud involving same day registration was one of the things they were clearly wrong about.

I'm glad some members of the party are willing to stand up against this blatant attempt to restrict the voting rights of North Carolinians.

Repubs really need to shut the fuck up about anything that would make voting more difficult. Even in the aim isn't to damper minority or poor voters, it's getting harder to defend

I 100% agree with the ID needed to vote, but stop seemingly trying to close places down or cut hours unless it's a colossal waste of money. Every step should be taken to get the largest number of people to the voting booths

Agreed. They should required a legit form of photo ID. Other than that...drop the rest of the nonsense.

Early voting should be limited to at least after a debate or two though. Some places are allowing voting in September which is kind of ridiculous. People could change their minds after a debate or huge news breaks.

Also if one area has early voting...all areas should have early voting.

this is how mindless so many conservatives are, that they continually watch the corrupt and shit stained RNC do shit like this and not see the deliberate sabotaging of democracy.

it's a fucking embarrassment to the country. all these slack jawed fucks slobbering over trump and republicans should be ashamed of themselves for supporting people that do shit like this.

oh but look out, there might be a transgender in a bathroom, or a "sjw" hiding around the corner lurking to steal your soul. better get on the "real" issues according to the nutjob world of republicans.

You need an ID to register NOT to vote

Lol, and they say hillary is the one rigging the election.

Lol, and they say hillary is the one rigging the election.

Both sides are doing their best to get what they want.

I support voter ID and a limit of early voting but I don't see the rest of the restrictions they wanted.

I want anyone that is legally allowed to vote giving a chance to vote.

Both sides are doing their best to get what they want.

I support voter ID and a limit of early voting but I don't see the rest of the restrictions they wanted.

I want anyone that is legally allowed to vote giving a chance to vote.

What do you think about them trying again after their reatrictions were already declared unconstitutional?

NC Republicans were never the brightest of the bunch.

Back