NBC News Under Fire for Spiking Another #MeToo Story About Showbiz Mogul

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
This company. lol. I still haven't heard anything about Chris Mathews and Tom Brokaw. Maybe they are regretting they kept Joy Reid now. Go Joy! Maybe she was blackmailing them this whole time. Props to her.

NBC News is facing renewed heat after a report by The Hollywood Reporter contended that its MSNBC network spike a #MeToo story about a powerful entertainment industry figure months after scuttling a similar exposé about Harvey Weinstein.

The piece, by veteran journalist Kim Masters, detailed the story of Sil Lai Abrams, who said she was raped by music mogul Russell Simmons in 1994 and was sexually assaulted by “Extra” host A.J. Calloway in 2006. The accusations were being investigated by MSNBC anchor Joy Reid, who, in a series of texts to Abrams, accused her own network of “‘slow walking’ the story with ‘stupid requests,'” THR reported.

The story was ostensibly killed, according to Abrams, who told THR Reid said the network “was no longer responding to her queries as to when the segment might air.”

The official line carries an eerie similarity to explanations offered by the network about why they passed on the Harvey Weinstein story. The report about the man whose sexual misdeeds sparked the MeToo movement was published in the New Yorker after then-MSNBC journalist Ronan Farrow said the network killed it. (The Weinstein story was killed by NBC News for a show that would have aired on the broadcast network’s “Dateline,” reported by MSNBC’s Farrow. Reid’s story was spiked by MSNBC, which is a division of NBC News.)

“I walked into the door at The New Yorker with an explosively reportable piece that should have been public earlier and immediately, obviously The New Yorker recognized that,” he told Rachel Maddow in October last year. “And it is not accurate to say it was not reportable and there were multiple determinations that it was reportable at NBC.”

https://www.thewrap.com/nbc-news-under-fire-for-spiking-another-metoo-story-about-showbiz-mogul/

MSNBC host Joy Ann Reid — who appears to have just survived her now-infamous “hacked” homophobic blog posts scandal — accused her own network of “slow walking” a sexual assault story she was working on by making “stupid” demands during the fact-checking process.

The accusation was revealed in a story from The Hollywood Reporter on the rape and assault allegations made against the powerful music mogul Russell Simmons. One of the half dozen misconduct claims comes against Simmons from domestic violence advocate Sil Lai Abrams, who says he raped her in 1994 — an allegation she was ready to bring forward in a TV interview with Reid.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/joy-rei...about-russell-simmons-sexual-assault-accuser/

She played NBC so well. I love it.

These kind of accusations ruin people's lives. I'm not defending anyone who did commit sexual assault but if I am a major network I would be hesitant to run with just any accusation. It says they made demands during the fact checking process, without knowing what that means it's hard to fault anyone here.

Back