Nathaniel Wood finishes Johnny Eduardo by D'arce from top deep half

Ghost in the Dark

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

grabbed the head and arm after sprawling out of the TD attempt and patiently kept position until Eduardo gave him the opening

Fantastic. I love using that grip behind the head to break them down and then switch to the brabo. An ace technique.

Great technique, but.... deep half?

Fantastic. I love using that grip behind the head to break them down and then switch to the brabo. An ace technique.

Three quarter nelson, also know as the stacker. Ben Askren had a nice video involving it on youtube that i can't for the life of me seem to be able to find anymore. It was actually about how he used the assassin, but he mentioned he used it in a series with the 3/4 stack, which he liked, but in freestyle found that guys would always sellout to block it until time ran out for mat work, so he started using the assassin too, when guys would block one way, he would then go the other to quickly pin them.

What is the ‘assassin’? I love the 3/4 Nelson and the brabo, but not sure what ‘assassin’ is.

I was gonna say, I don't see any deep half guard here. Eduardo might have been trying to get to deep half, but he never came close.

Weird choice from Eduardo to pull half guard then immediately abandon it and put himself in a horrible front headlock position.

Weird choice from Eduardo to pull half guard then immediately abandon it and put himself in a horrible front headlock position.
Not really. Wood immediately went for a quarter nelson. The quarter nelson transitions nicely to a japanese necktie, which transitions easily into a d'arce.

Not really. Wood immediately went for a quarter nelson. The quarter nelson transitions nicely to a japanese necktie, which transitions easily into a d'arce.

Yeah, I agree with this.

He didn’t pull at all - he basically got stuffed and sat to his butt.

People always quibble with my thread titles lol. Autism on the rise.

I don't want to spam up the subforum with multiple separate threads. I think in future I'll just make one sub thread per event with the subs which I found interesting and which we can examine and learn from.

Some insightful comments ITT already. You can really see the difference in the MMA context with working these positions. It's much more urgent, for one because of the potential to eat strikes on the bottom, secondly because of the round time limit and the danger of ref stand up if the action isn't thrilling enough, thirdly because you are likely to go a round down if you spend much time on the bottom of any grappling exchange and fourthly because a lot of guys aren't super comfortable with BJJ and just want to scramble, stand and bang.

By rushing to get out and up people are making elementary defensive errors which are leading to them getting subbed where if they just stayed cool, kept things tight and steadily worked to improve their position a lot of these subs probably wouldn't come. On the other hand I really liked the way Wood stayed composed, kept the pressure on and kept Eduardo's posture down and waited for the opening to present itself. Stipe destroyed Ngannou with that 3/4 nelson in their last fight, maybe we're going to be seeing it more.

In last night's event there was also an RNC, which was ok but I would say not especially noteworthy and then in the co main event there was this nice arm triangle from top half. When Sage Northcutt tapped to that arm triangle from top half he got a lot of sh*t for a soft tap but in this case it was fully legit.

Gregor Gillespie subs Vince Pichel

Gillespie is a former NCAA D1 wrestler and with this win improves to 12-0 with 5 subs. Heavy top pressure from Gillespie. If Pichel had recognised that his right arm was threatened and worked on getting that elbow back / keeping Gillespie's head inside he would have survived. As it was he recovered half guard from 1/4 guard but got subbed in the process.

The announcer called it deep half. I assume that's where the confusion started.

What about underhook positioning? Here, Eduardo got caught off the shot so it might not be the best example.
But when playing that old school Gordo half, where do you guys like to underhook? Go low on the leg like Maia or Jake Mackenzie, or high on the shoulder a la Tom DeBlass?
I've started focusing on the former position- easier transitions to a single leg or deep half, and it closes the space available for a solid whizzer.

People always quibble with my thread titles lol. Autism on the rise.

I don't want to spam up the subforum with multiple separate threads. I think in future I'll just make one sub thread per event with the subs which I found interesting and which we can examine and learn from.

Some insightful comments ITT already. You can really see the difference in the MMA context with working these positions. It's much more urgent, for one because of the potential to eat strikes on the bottom, secondly because of the round time limit and the danger of ref stand up if the action isn't thrilling enough, thirdly because you are likely to go a round down if you spend much time on the bottom of any grappling exchange and fourthly because a lot of guys aren't super comfortable with BJJ and just want to scramble, stand and bang.

By rushing to get out and up people are making elementary defensive errors which are leading to them getting subbed where if they just stayed cool, kept things tight and steadily worked to improve their position a lot of these subs probably wouldn't come. On the other hand I really liked the way Wood stayed composed, kept the pressure on and kept Eduardo's posture down and waited for the opening to present itself. Stipe destroyed Ngannou with that 3/4 nelson in their last fight, maybe we're going to be seeing it more.

In last night's event there was also an RNC, which was ok but I would say not especially noteworthy and then in the co main event there was this nice arm triangle from top half. When Sage Northcutt tapped to that arm triangle from top half he got a lot of sh*t for a soft tap but in this case it was fully legit.

Gregor Gillespie subs Vince Pichel

Gillespie is a former NCAA D1 wrestler and with this win improves to 12-0 with 5 subs. Heavy top pressure from Gillespie. If Pichel had recognised that his right arm was threatened and worked on getting that elbow back / keeping Gillespie's head inside he would have survived. As it was he recovered half guard from 1/4 guard but got subbed in the process.

Who the fuck is this douchebag content owner?

Who the fuck is this douchebag content owner?
dana-white-money.jpg

UFC chief Dana White buys 3 homes in exclusive Las Vegas area

I'll see if I can gif/independently host in the future.

Back