Nate Diaz's Coach: Woodley Fight Unlikely Because UFC Doesn't Want to Pay

Is NICK still under suspension? Why isn't he trying to get that money, pay big brother $2 million, it's a better match up anyway!

wasnt trying to be cool, just trying to make a point, jacobs ggg was a pretty big boxing match and jacobs got 5.. we all know boxing pays more.. 15 mill is a little rediculous dont ya think?
Completely.

I don't want to see Woodley/Diaz and I don't understand why there are people that do.

How so? It seems that sherdog has run with Dana's delusional statements that Nate isn't a draw. Its really simple look at the fights Nate has headlined on fox or fs1 his fights always has the highest ratings of the whole card people typically tune in just to watch Nate fight.

His ppv fights people don't typically tune into the card until around the time it's time for Nate to fight. Now is he getting a million buys if he headlines no but I bet he could pull in at least 400k off his name alone.

Nate already called Dana out on his bullshit statement around the first Conor fight showed his ratings on cards vs the entire card and guess who had the highest segment of the card? Nate.

Nate is most definitely a draw is he a top tier draw that remains to be seen after the Conor fights but is he good enough for 4-500k off his name alone you're delusional if you say otherwise.
Bro.. I love Nate.. but 15 Millions? LOL. Not even Colon made that in the UFC

Oh for fks sake. Nate, SIGN THE FIGHT, it's a chance for you to become a champion win or lose sign the fkn fight Plsssss
some of you dudes really need to stfu and leave the business to people who actually have a clue what they're talking about.

Nate made 11+ mil for his last fight with Conor, It's not at all surprising that he wants 15 mil for taking a championship fight at a higher weight class.

It blows my mind more people don't realize this.

The UFC paid these guys like janitors. Fighters have no advocacy and are completely disposable. In that relationship, the minute a fighter gets some equity and leverage, you can and should expect them to aggressively advocate for themselves and never look back.

If Nate was paid reasonably throughout his career, this would not exist. But the system is setup as 'feast or famine' so here we are.

Yup UFC's slave contract and pay brought this on themselves. All the camps ducking - cashing money fights - hold outs.

Read eddies contract sometime, an elite fighter, I'd never sign something like that I'm sure 90% of you wouldnt. They own your ass more than enlisting in the military.

yeah, how much you think he made for those after expenses and tax? Probably 5 million tops total.
according to forbes and a few other sources, Nate made 11+ mil with ppv points for the 2nd fight with Conor.

He made 500 thousand to show for the first fight but likely got a decent ppv percentage for that as well since they did a good job selling it and he also won the fight.

He's doing well, why do people act like reported numbers mean anything.

so many Idiots on this forum , It's painful.

literally 90% of people In this thread just talking out their asses.

Why does he keep saying
Nathan

It's Nate

He's negotiating. You think Conor and Floyd deserved to split 300 something million dollars?

Don't hate Nate, sherbros, hate the game.

The big difference is the Conor/Floyd fight made massive amounts of money. They both are proven draws on their own and this was a superfight.

It's very unlikely Nate pulls over 400k by himself, so 15 mil is out of the question. They would lose money having him fight, which defeats the purpose.

The big difference is the Conor/Floyd fight made massive amounts of money. They both are proven draws on their own and this was a superfight.

It's very unlikely Nate pulls over 400k by himself, so 15 mil is out of the question. They would lose money having him fight, which defeats the purpose.
Yeah I agree, but when you negotiate you negotiate your highest number first. That's just the rules.

Yeah I agree, but when you negotiate you negotiate your highest number first. That's just the rules.

You're not supposed to start at a ridiculous number. That's not how negotiating works.

15million? Haha I'm a huge fan of the Diaz bros but this is a sport where 1million is a colossal pay day.

Hope UFC will throw him some extra money, he always puts on a show and fans will always be interested in Diaz brother fights
I think since they are targeting him to help their numbers for a card main event then 5 mil is reasonable . Certainly can’t go backwards when he had a super close fight with their biggest star and helped generate the biggest numbers for that card and made 2 mil for that fight.

I doubt they are even offering 5 mil though.

Nate Diaz's longtime boxing coach, Richard Perez returned to Submission Radio this week to chat about a bunch of things.

Some topics covered:
  • The rumours surrounding Tyron Woodley vs. Nate Diaz at UFC 219
  • If Nate is interested in the fight
  • The negotiations and what's stopping the fight from happening
  • Nate deserving 15 million dollars for the Woodley fight
  • The Conor McGregor trilogy fight
  • McGregor's incident at Bellator Dublin where he jumped the cage and slapped an official
  • Nate's recent training and how long he needs to get ready
  • Why Nate would take a fight at welterweight seeing as it's Nick's division
  • Perez's relationship with Nick Diaz
  • GSP's performance at UFC 217
  • A Nick Diaz vs. GSP rematch
  • If Nick will fight again, and more!
Some quotes:

If Nate Diaz will fight Tyron Woodley on December 30th at UFC 219

“I don’t think so. The UFC doesn’t want to give Nathan the money. You know, cause what Woodley’s trying to do, he’s trying to get his name up there and he wants to fight the best, so he wants to fight Nathan. But UFC doesn’t want to pay Nathan, so why fight him? We can fight McGregor (instead).”

“I saw Woodley talking the other day about Nathan being scared, “scared homie”, you know, but it’s not that. It’s not all about that, because Nathan ain’t scared to fight nobody, it’s the money, and Dana White and the UFC doesn’t want to pay him. But he deserves it.”

The chances that the UFC and Diaz can come to a deal to pay Nate the right price

“Well the chances are... I don’t... it could be.... you know, you never know. It can pop right up tomorrow and say, yeah they’re fighting, they’re giving him what he wants,” but maybe not. Cause, I know they want a main event and they’re trying really hard, but they have to cough up the money. They’re being too greedy with the money right now, it’s hurting a lot of fighters.”

What the minimum is that Richard thinks the UFC should pay Nate for the Woodley fight

“15 million (dollars) easy. Easy. Cause, I mean, he’s a star right now. I mean, McGregor can’t even fight right now, he got suspended. And Woodley’s trying to fight everybody. He says McGregor doesn’t want to fight him, he says BJ Penn (sic) doesn’t want to fight him. He’s naming all these people that don’t want to fight him, you know, cause he’s trying to get his name, he’s trying to get up there, and nobody wants to (fight him). I mean, he’s got the belt. So what? The belt don’t mean nothing anymore. It’s about who you’re fighting (if you want) to make the money.”

“And it’s worth it because Woodley wants to get his name out there, he wants to fight the best so he can be noticed. Right now, he’s not really getting a lot of publicity like Nathan does with the people, you know, the crowd. Whether they like you or they hate you, they want to see Nathan. So that’s what he’s going for.”

If UFC 219 needs Nate Diaz

“Well, everybody wants to see McGregor and Nathan. Woodley is out of the picture. I mean, he’s just blubbering now and talking cause he wants to get noticed, he wants to be up there in top too. I don’t blame him, that’s normal for a fighter cause he has the belt. He thinks the belt’s important, it’s not right now, it’s about who you’re fighting. That’s why he’s trying to get Nathan, he’s trying to get McGregor. But what everybody wants to really see is McGregor and Nathan. That’s all I ever hear. People texting me all the time, they call me all the time, it’s still constantly, “when are they fighting? That’s all we want to see”. That’s the fight, that’s the best fight to watch right now. You know, cause the last two fights were great, so the third one has to finish. We have to find out the outcome of that one. So that’s where it should be at now.”

How a fight against Woodley would play out

“Well, to be honest with you, I know Nathan would beat him because he’s not... Woodley’s – see, he’s fought guys like Robbie Lawler. Robbie Lawler wasn’t expecting that, he wasn’t expecting for Woodley to just come out and throw, and he kind of closed up a little bit, Robbie Lawler. Nathan won’t. Like I said, when he’s in tip top and not hurt, he’ll go out there and he’ll box him, he’ll outbox Woodley. Woodley, sure he’s fast, but he don’t have the reach, and Nathan’s fast too. Believe me, when he’s throwing combinations good, he’ll nail them. And if it goes on the ground, Woodley doesn’t have a chance.”

“And Woodley tires out. In the later rounds, he’ll slow down.”

If five weeks is enough to prepare to UFC 219

“That’s going to be another McGregor fight, you know? I don’t know why they do this. They used to do this to Nathan a lot, and a Nick too a lot, when they were fighting a lot. They were fighting like three or four, five times a year and they would just call them with a week's notice and they would go out there and they’d do it, you know, they’d go out there and perform, they never turned it down. So they finally decided, you know what, this is too much, we’re not getting very much money and everybody else waits a whole year and they get bigger money than we do. So they stopped, they said, no, we’re not doing it anymore.”

If Woodley vs. Diaz is currently unlikely for UFC 219

“Right. I mean, he says he signed his part already, Woodley did and Nathan hasn’t, but there’s a reason. Because, you know just as well as I do, Nathan is on top and he needs to get paid what he deserves. He’s a people person. People want to see him and he’s popular right now, just like McGregor. So why doesn’t UFC do it when they made big money on the show when Nathan fights and McGregor fights? Even if Nathan fights Woodley it’s going to be up there because of Nathan. So they’re gonna probably make, oh gosh, pay-per-view is going to be just out there because they’re curious on what Nathan’s going to do with Woodley. So they’re making big money, they’re pocketing a lot of it. You guys know it too. Oh gosh, it’s ridiculous.”

A+ poster

Back