Nate Diaz Boxing Skills

Wtf is a slow starter?
Bro science 101

And im not denying that getting rocked makes you gas but Conor was already gassed before getting rocked.

And Nate being a slow starter could also mean that he takes advantage of his opponents slowing down which means that he cannot do anything when both of the fighters are fresh

Saying certain fighters generally start slower and build their tempo as the fight progresses is "bro science"? Fascinating.

Only thing is, Conor got 'gassed' after Nate hit him clean with that 1-2. Conor tried to use his uppercut that he used the whole time that night but Nate saw right through it and countered the uppercut perfectly, hitting Conor flush and unexpected. Those hurt the most. After this Conor got dazed and more tired because of it. After that he knew he was going to get finished and resorted to panicwrestling, admitting his defeat in the boxing department.
Look the fight back, Conor was still doing good cardiowise, until Nate landed that counter flush on the chin. After that Conor 'gassed'.

No. He was fatigued, which is why the momentum shifted. The exact same thing happened in the second fight. He gassed out at the exact same moment two fights in a row to the same guy, even though he dominated the first round even more convincingly.

It's pretty crazy that people still can't acknowledge this after seeing it play out again.

Turns with punchs very well, shoulder rolls with the best of them in mma.his check hook is excellent, posesses attributes of a good boxer you cant teach to, granite chin and heart.

Has that mexican boxing heritage in his style as well, would put him in the category of plodders the sport of boxing possesses.the idea that all pro boxers are all elusive with ali like footwork is a myth.

The fact diaz has been able to go this long in the stand up department off basically boxing alone is a credit to himself and his coachs.

always a good read when discussing diaz boxing

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/3...e-diaz-brothers-the-sweet-science-of-bruising

Most good come forward Mexican fighters (and by no means have all great Mexican fighters been pure pressure fighters; arguably the best Mexican fighter of all time, Salvador Sanchez, was a fairly prototypical boxer-puncher, and none of the three great Mexican fighters of the last two decades - Barrera, Morales, and Marquez - were pure pressure fighters), let alone the great ones, had very good footwork. Neither Diaz brother does. They are very good boxers for MMA, but they have fairly obvious flaws that can be exploited. The thing is, in MMA, there aren't that many who can exploit these weaknesses.

Only thing is, Conor got 'gassed' after Nate hit him clean with that 1-2. Conor tried to use his uppercut that he used the whole time that night but Nate saw right through it and countered the uppercut perfectly, hitting Conor flush and unexpected. Those hurt the most. After this Conor got dazed and more tired because of it. After that he knew he was going to get finished and resorted to panicwrestling, admitting his defeat in the boxing department.
Look the fight back, Conor was still doing good cardiowise, until Nate landed that counter flush on the chin. After that Conor 'gassed'.
Conor barley attempted a take down in the second fight and Nate had about one good flury towards the end of the third round and then Nate got out boxed once again in the 4th, your talking about the first fight but we have the second fight which is the more logical fight to refer too as it is most recent

I'm a huge Conor fan but he won the striking battle in the second fight because of the kicks. If it was pure boxing it woulda been favored Nate
Thats a good point but the hand speed, shot placement and the fact Nate got dropped a couple of times i'd say that he had the better hands that fight, in straight boxing who knows, or gives a fuck because that would never happen

What happened at the end of the second round, and the whole of the third round?

When Conor was running and Big John had his head half-way into the exchanges.

You guys and your false narratives.

48-47 fight, arguably a draw with Nate's huge end to the third round, and you guys sit there and act like this was a mauling.

One man was running away, the other man with blood running down his face like a warrior was flipping him the bird and walking him down like a zombie.

I know who I respect more.
Your a deluded Diaz fan who cant admit your boy Nate beat, as far as the running goes, he was gassed and to avoid shots, avoid loosing a fight where you've outclassed your opponent for 2 and a half rounds, the fact you think that him being bloodied up and walking him down like a zombie is a point in your favour kind of sums you up, hope Nate enjoys that brain damage

Your a deluded Diaz fan who cant admit your boy Nate beat, as far as the running goes, he was gassed and to avoid shots, avoid loosing a fight where you've outclassed your opponent for 2 and a half rounds, the fact you think that him being bloodied up and walking him down like a zombie is a point in your favour kind of sums you up, hope Nate enjoys that brain damage
Yeah I guess Nate will be a victim of brain damage, like every other MMA fighter to ever live. I wonder how much trauma Conor suffered when he was eating clean shots to the face from mount, or getting lit up with 1-2's on the feet that had him completely out and on ice-skates?

Outclassed on the feet? Sure, it did seem that way, but unfortunately for your boy Conor a fight is 25 minutes long when you're in a main event. The sheer fact he gasses after 8 minutes each time out, is nothing short of embarrassing for a fighter of his caliber.

I'm not saying that walking around like a zombie is a good thing, but Nate never stayed down, he kept coming, and Mr. I'm so rich I can spend 300k on a fight camp, ended up gassing and running like a coward over 10 times in that fight. It was a close fight, which I can accept that Conor won, but don't ever act like your boy was on another level, it was touch and go when the judges read the cards - all because your boy cannot handle the championship rounds.

Yeah I guess Nate will be a victim of brain damage, like every other MMA fighter to ever live. I wonder how much trauma Conor suffered when he was eating clean shots to the face from mount, or getting lit up with 1-2's on the feet that had him completely out and on ice-skates?

Outclassed on the feet? Sure, it did seem that way, but unfortunately for your boy Conor a fight is 25 minutes long when you're in a main event. The sheer fact he gasses after 8 minutes each time out, is nothing short of embarrassing for a fighter of his caliber.

I'm not saying that walking around like a zombie is a good thing, but Nate never stayed down, he kept coming, and Mr. I'm so rich I can spend 300k on a fight camp, ended up gassing and running like a coward over 10 times in that fight. It was a close fight, which I can accept that Conor won, but don't ever act like your boy was on another level, it was touch and go when the judges read the cards - all because your boy cannot handle the championship rounds.
I mean Nate defiantly lost the battle on the feet which is my point and to say otherwise would be false all the other shit is kind of null and void in this discussion

Till Conor outclassed him on the feet in the first two rounds of the 2nd fight right?
Its funny the first thing conor didn't in the 2nd fight is throw multiple leg kicks to get nate of balance lol certainly strictly outboxed him

Yeah because Nate just blasted Gomi, Miller, Cerrone, Conor, Markham and David at WW (both strikers with credentias), MJ..

Only with cardio and a chin. You're a fucking dumbass and a hater. They know how to take punches.. Here's a hint, they don't have magical chins, theyre scrawny as fuck. They see the shots coming, and have boxing defense.
Nate rolled with almost all of conors punches in the 1sr fight. Hence the cuts on his face from the leather.

GSP probably would struggle in a high school 170 pound div.

Bahahahahahaha. This is maybe the dumbest thing I've ever read on Sherdog. GSP is the best wrestler in a sport that includes Olympic wrestlers. At most, it would take him a few weeks to make sure he knows all the rules and ins and outs of amateur wrestling, then he'd dominate any HS kid in his weight class in the nation maybe unless there's some Cael Sanderson type out there right now.

<36>
The only time in both fights that Nate mounted any offense is when Conor slowed down. That's it. Even in the first fight, Conor looked gassed going into this corner after the first round. Dude was taking heavy breaths.
Sure, that's why he screamed 'i can do this all day' to Nate just before round two started.
{<jordan}{<jordan}

Last edited:
Eh, I don't really see any Pryor in them. At his best, Pryor was one of the more creative and dynamic offensive boxers ever (and so much of that had to do with his footwork, likely the biggest area of weakness for both brothers).

I was speaking to the swarm and combination types. While the Diaz boys don't throw the exact style.... it's akin in it's pressure and swarming during cover up. I'm not saying it's 1-to-1 by any mean, because they utilize the style for MMA and boxing is a different game.

Sure, that's why he said 'i can do this all day' to Nate just before round two started.
{<jordan}{<jordan}
kobe-laughing_1350060747.gif

The Conor gassed theory is a stretch.

He dominated Holloway for 3 rounds with a torn acl and had to grim reaper cut to 145. Didnt even look gassed after the third.

Diaz was tagging him.

Never realised how good he actually was

His skills can be summarized as throwing a long, loungey 1-2 without head movement or chin down. He doesn't have good boxing skills, but he is good with what he has. The Diaz bros are often an anomaly.

His skills can be summarized as throwing a long, loungey 1-2 without head movement or chin down. He doesn't have good boxing skills, but he is good with what he has. The Diaz bros are often an anomaly.

You're doing a disservice to his skillset. Yes, his 1-2 is masterfully employed. He doesn't put his chin own because he's watching the bodylanguage of the opponent. It's necessary to know the counter that can come, as well as keeps your eye on the target. His distancing, while takes time for him to find, is masterful once established. His lead hook is fantastic and very old-world boxing, though he uses the slap instead of the turned-over backhand. His bodyshots are used less than his brother but are sharp and properly placed.

The Diaz boys actually use a pretty old-school style of boxing. And as I noted, they employ a Pryor-esque swarm tactic at points when they push on the gas.

dare I say, the Diaz's boxing is good because it is effective for them in mma (it's nothing out of this world or the mythical boxing beasts they get promoted as weekly) . Their knowledge of boxing plus their cardio (and lack of natural explosiveness) is how and why they prefer to overwhelm opponents.

They're very good mma fighters and it should be left at that. Their jiu jitsu is also a very strong point but again, it is because mma allows them to grapple when needed and box when needed.

GSP is the best wrestler....in mma bar none (maybe prime Jon Jones). but GSP probably would struggle in a high school 170 pound div. MMA lets things shine more and it's ok, it's how the game works.
LOL no GSP wouldn't. In 2012 our National wrestling team said he had a serious shot of making the team. He is know for wrestling some of the top wrestlers in Canada.

You're doing a disservice to his skillset. Yes, his 1-2 is masterfully employed. He doesn't put his chin own because he's watching the bodylanguage of the opponent. It's necessary to know the counter that can come, as well as keeps your eye on the target. His distancing, while takes time for him to find, is masterful once established. His lead hook is fantastic and very old-world boxing, though he uses the slap instead of the turned-over backhand. His bodyshots are used less than his brother but are sharp and properly placed.

The Diaz boys actually use a pretty old-school style of boxing. And as I noted, they employ a Pryor-esque swarm tactic at points when they push on the gas.

Masterfully? Part of using the 1,2 is using the correct fundamental technique such as keeping chin down, bringing the arm out for the shoulder to protect the jaw, etc.

They fucking suck balls at boxing but have good hands. I don't see blocking, dodging, countering, angles, lateral movement, etc that makes me think they are very skilled in the sweet science. They are usually flat footed too. The fuck kind of boxing are you guys used to?

Everyone can take the 1-2 and fire back except glass jaw Conor lol

Back