NASA gets made great again with new budget

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Sorry if there's been a thread about this already:

"President Trump's administration has handed down a budget for 2019 to NASA – and it effectively kills off key projects in exchange for a vague promise to go back to the Moon."

"The agency's department of education, which inspires kids into science and technology careers, will be eliminated. Five climate studies are also axed, the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope project is dead, and funding for the International Space Station will be cut off in 2025."

Seriously, in what way can this possibly be a good thing?

A left wing, foreign website complaining about Trump? Why didn't you want to include the actual title of the article? Too embarrassing and transparent? OMG, the gov't is wasting less of your money and might require some people do shit themselves instead of spending a shitload of your tax money on another agency. Be a goddamned decent person and raise your kids properly, and you won't need a gov't agency to spend billions directing them. What in the absolute hell is wrong with everybody?

Reading the article, without knowing much about the existing projects, the thought of having an emphasis on exploration, manned missions to the moon and Mars is exciting.

The ISS is not going anywhere, especially with the countries that are also investors in it though would suspect that potentially not being able to launch from the US may be problematic.

I have always been of the opinion that because the Sun at some point is going to explode that we should be looking at ways to get ourselves off of the Earth and into space as quickly and safely as possible.

Sorry if there's been a thread about this already:

"President Trump's administration has handed down a budget for 2019 to NASA – and it effectively kills off key projects in exchange for a vague promise to go back to the Moon."

"The agency's department of education, which inspires kids into science and technology careers, will be eliminated. Five climate studies are also axed, the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope project is dead, and funding for the International Space Station will be cut off in 2025."

Seriously, in what way can this possibly be a good thing?

Seems like he is trying to de-politicize NASA. NDT is gonna be pissed. If Earth was the size of an orange, his anger would be the size of a cantaloupe.

Ha, ha. I was right about the SLS. It will be awesome to see that thing go up in about two years time.

"Delivering the astronauts to the Moon will be done by a combination of commercial space vehicles and NASA's Space Launch System (SLS), a massive non-reusable rocket still under development. The SLS will get enough cash to operate its basic launch system that can handle decent-sized payloads – that's up to 70 tons – but not enough dosh for upgrades to heft much larger loads into orbit."

@V-2

A left wing, foreign website complaining about Trump? Why didn't you want to include the actual title of the article? Too embarrassing and transparent? OMG, the gov't is wasting less of your money and might require some people do shit themselves instead of spending a shitload of your tax money on another agency. Be a goddamned decent person and raise your kids properly, and you won't need a gov't agency to spend billions directing them. What in the absolute hell is wrong with everybody?
Because it's the facts in the story that are important, the ones I quoted, not any spin the writer was attempting to apply to it. Take your whining elsewhere.

Reading the article, without knowing much about the existing projects, the thought of having an emphasis on exploration, manned missions to the moon and Mars is exciting.

The ISS is not going anywhere, especially with the countries that are also investors in it though would suspect that potentially not being able to launch from the US may be problematic.

I have always been of the opinion that because the Sun at some point is going to explode that we should be looking at ways to get ourselves off of the Earth and into space as quickly and safely as possible.
I agree wholeheartedly, but there's absolutely no need to do it at the expense of educational programs or projects that are already on the drawing board.

SpaceX will beat NASA on a manned mission to Mars

So, you're telling me that Trump and his people have no aptitude in a given area, and settle with vague promises?

WHAT?!?!?!

Because it's the facts in the story that are important, the ones I quoted, not any spin the writer was attempting to apply to it. Take your whining elsewhere.
You make a shit thread, and it's my fault? Raise your own kids, asshole, and stop asking for everyone else to "inspire" their career choices. Every gov't agency that is completely useless pretends they're "inspiring kids" to keep getting funding. It's not my fault you're a shitty parent and expect perfect strangers to pay for your shitty kid's "inspiration". Fuck right off and do your job.

You make a shit thread, and it's my fault? Raise your own kids, asshole, and stop asking for everyone else to "inspire" their career choices. Every gov't agency that is completely useless pretends they're "inspiring kids" to keep getting funding. It's not my fault you're a shitty parent and expect perfect strangers to pay for your shitty kid's "inspiration". Fuck right off and do your job.
You know nothing whatsoever about me. You're defensive because you know you went off for no reason and now you feel stupid. It's ok though, I understand you can't help it. Take a nap, it might help.

You know nothing whatsoever about me. You're defensive because you know you went off for no reason and now you feel stupid. It's ok though, I understand you can't help it. Take a nap, it might help.
Raise your own kids, it might help. Or you can name 1 top scientist who decided on the career path because of this program. Right, it's right around 0 and this whole thing's a waste of money. You posted a straight up rag trying to complain about less spending, and I'M the one who should feel stupid? Are you high?

I really wonder how people think we're going to keep up with China in anything technology related.

We're educating they're best and brightest and then refusing to fund our best. What is the thought pattern here?

Even if we could keep up, which I'm not sure of, we're more concerned with creating amazing Amazon/Google employees than we are anything else. People are going to go where the money is.

Back