HW - Roy Nelson, Yoshihiro Takayama, Cabbage, Ben Rothwell
LHW - Gus, Jones, Shogun
MW - Chris Leben, Kazushia Sakuraba, Jake Shields
WW - Brian Ebersole, Rory MacDonald, Jake Shields
LW - Takanori Gomi, Clay Guida
FW - Korean Zombie, Korean Superboy
BW - Eddie Wineland
FLW - Demetrious Johnson

Hopefully I didn't forget too many iron chins.

WHO ARE YOUR TOP 3 ALL TIME CHINS FOR EACH DIVISION?
How about the two guys in your profile pic!

Mark Hunt's chin is great. However, not only has he been stopped much less often, I give Roy the edge because of how much better defense Hunt has. Hunt doesn't eat things as flush as Roy does. Roy walks into straights and uppercuts and gets caught by bombs with no head movement. Mark is actually a legit technical striker, so in the average fight he doesn't take the same kind of frequency. I don't think Hunt would have survived the beating that Stipe put on Nelson at 181, with something like 100 significant strikes to the head. Yes, Hunt made it to 5 rounds in his own fight with Stipe, but Hunt is a more legit defensive fighter and didn't get beat up in the same way.

Big Nog has a very good chin, but what made him so tough is recovery. He could get rocked and dropped, but he didn't quit. Bob actually knocked him out with the piledriver, but he was jolted back awake by the punches and went back into it. I'd put him in a general toughness list, but I'm not sure about pure chin. The GnP from Fedor wasn't really composed of knockout punches, so Nog's ability to survive was largely toughness, not some kind of freak chin. I'd actually put guys like Rothwell above him in a list of this format.

Fujita for sure belongs up there. What must be noted however, is that he fought smaller guys than Roy and his chin had a shorter life. Wand is a LHW and he stopped Fujita with punches. Roy has been tough his entire career up to this day.
I do agree with much of what you say. I just feel Hunt has been fighting FOREVER. You are right about him having better defense than Roy but Mark also took some ridiculous shots from world class kickboxers in K1 before he even began his MMA career.

Nog is definitely the toughest but he also has a ridiculous chin.

Fujita took like 10 or more soccer kicks flush to the side of the head before Wand started throwing punches and the ref finally waved it off. He wasn't even KO'ed but just overwhlemed with Wand's aggression. Wand is likely the only MW that had the combo of power and speed and destruction to finish Fujita. Wand was also bulked up for the Heavyweight Tournament. No shame there. Plus Fujita was like 4 or 5 years past his prime. He was most dangerous from 2000 to 2003.

Inb4 WMMA/best chin comments from the basement dwellers.

You're on the wrong drugs not having Aldo on there.

Until he literally launched himself face-first at the best KO artist in divisional history Jose Aldo's chin was un-cracked for 11 years straight. The speed with which he bounced back up after being dropped by FW Powerhouse Chad Skincream was amazing. You don't recover like that if you don't have a GOAT chin.

At FW his only other loss aside from Conor - the Max fight - was due to fatigue, not a bad chin.
I was actually suprIsed at how good his chin was in the Holloway fight . I mean he got finished but man he took some CLEAN shots near the end of the fight when max was trying to finish and took them all

Brock has P4P best chin. He has eaten bombs from monsters and hasn’t gone out. Have you ever seen him even rocked?

I do agree with much of what you say. I just feel Hunt has been fighting FOREVER. You are right about him having better defense than Roy but Mark also took some ridiculous shots from world class kickboxers in K1 before he even began his MMA career.

Nog is definitely the toughest but he also has a ridiculous chin.

Fujita took like 10 or more soccer kicks flush to the side of the head before Wand started throwing punches and the ref finally waved it off. He wasn't even KO'ed but just overwhlemed with Wand's aggression. Wand is likely the only MW that had the combo of power and speed and destruction to finish Fujita. Wand was also bulked up for the Heavyweight Tournament. No shame there. Plus Fujita was like 4 or 5 years past his prime. He was most dangerous from 2000 to 2003.

All 3 people you name are tough, of course, but I just dont see the argument against Roy. With little to no defence and minimal head movement, the guy eats knees, kicks and uppercuts non stop for often the full duration of fights (the fights against Stipe, Werdum, JDS etc). Nobody else can be used as a heavy bag and keep trudging forward. I've never seen anything like it in MMA. Hunt is a legit striker, Roy really isn't.

Back