Name the top 3 chins of all time in each weight class

Any list not topped by Roy Nelson is illegitimate. The guy has the ability to survive unreal beatings and completely undefended power shots and stay standing.

Great list, but most of the guys in the lower weight classes are still active and haven't had their chins tested as much.

I would have Genki Sudo, Faber, and Hiroyuki Takaya at featherweight. (Edgar and Kawajiri were LWs most of their careers and Conor hasn't fought enough at that weight for me to consider his chin an ATG). Takafumi Otsuka at 135 to replace Faber, Mayhem at MW, and Joe B at FLW

The problem with these lists is that I think chin and heart get mixed up, guys like Nog, Hendo, Fedor and Shogun for example whilst they did have good physical chins were so tough to finish in there primes due to mental strength. You rock them and they keep on ticking...

FlimsyConsiderateCrownofthornsstarfish.gif

Any list not topped by Roy Nelson is illegitimate. The guy has the ability to survive unreal beatings and completely undefended power shots and stay standing.

I would mention Ben Rothwell not being far behind Hunt, Nelson and Fujita as well, does rather highlight how dangerous Arlovski was back in the day to finish Ben and Roy back to back.

I would mention Ben Rothwell not being far behind Hunt, Nelson and Fujita as well, does rather highlight how dangerous Arlovski was back in the day to finish Ben and Roy back to back.
Rothwell is another great candidate.
Arlovski was a killer, yeah.

Gus never KOed. Not even by Rumble throwing GnP bombs, Gus truly has the greatest of all MMA chins.

Frankie didn't have the best chin in those divisions, just great recovering ability.

Bisping has GOAT MW chin. Withstood A Silva knees like a boss. Withstood Hendo 2 Strikes like they were a light snack.

Roy Nelson has the best chin of all time. Not sure how he's on your honorable mention. Other than that, you have a pretty damn good list.

He is definitely top 5 but probably number 4 behind Hunt, Nog and Fujita.

Mark Hunt's chin was already legendary from the kickboxing world before he debuted in MMA. The man took LHKs from Cro Cop in both K1 and PRIDE. Absolute greatest chin ever

Nog was punched flush by Hendo, donkey konged by Bob Sapp, ground and pounded by Fedor for 20 minutes the 1st fight and beat up on the feet for 20 mins in the 3rd fight with Fedor, beaten to shit yet came back against Cro Cop, Sylvia and Sapp. Took every HW's best shot and survived until he was 40 fights deep when he was finally finished by a TKO.

You can't "one punch walk off" Fujita. Fujita could take 30 knees or 30 soccer kicks to the head but still be in the fight. It takes a lot of volume and a lot of cardio to try to stop Ol' Ironhead. I am not quite sure a prime Roy could survive underneath Mark Kerr getting kneed in the head for 8 mins. Perhaps Roy could but I have seen Fujita shake off ridiculously powerful strikes time and time again. Especially knees to the head on the ground

pretty good list. you definitely did your homework!

Heavyweight
1. Mark Hunt
2. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
3. Kazuyuki Fujita

Light Heavyweight
1. Dan Henderson
2. Rampage Jackson
3. Daniel Cormier

Middleweight
1. Dan Henderson
2. Anderson Silva
3. Gegard Mousasi

Welterweight

1. Carlos Condit
2. Chris Lytle
3. Nick Diaz

Lightweight

1. Frankie Edgar
2. BJ Penn
3. Nate Diaz

Featherweight

1. Frankie Edgar
2. Conor McGregor
3. Tatsuya Kawajiri

Bantamweight

1. Dominick Cruz
2. Urijah Faber
3. Jon Lineker

Flyweight

1. Jon Lineker
2. John Moraga
3. Tim Elliot

Honorable mentions:
HW - Roy Nelson, Yoshihiro Takayama, Cabbage, Ben Rothwell
LHW - Gus, Jones, Shogun
MW - Chris Leben, Kazushia Sakuraba, Jake Shields
WW - Brian Ebersole, Rory MacDonald, Jake Shields
LW - Takanori Gomi, Clay Guida
FW - Korean Zombie, Korean Superboy
BW - Eddie Wineland
FLW - Demetrious Johnson

Hopefully I didn't forget too many iron chins.

WHO ARE YOUR TOP 3 ALL TIME CHINS FOR EACH DIVISION?
some dudes were tough muthaz...

Maurice Smith was tough to KO, MMA or Kickboxing.

Ruas, in Brazil or outside, IIRC, was never really hurt in a fight (legit boxing credentials though...)

Last edited:
Solid list guy.

I would put Lineker at #1 for BW though. The guy walks through bombs without flinching while Dom has been dropped by Faber.

The guy has a MW sized head on a BW frame

Heavyweight
1. Mark Hunt
2. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
3. Kazuyuki Fujita

Light Heavyweight
1. Dan Henderson
2. Rampage Jackson
3. Daniel Cormier

Middleweight
1. Dan Henderson
2. Anderson Silva
3. Gegard Mousasi

Welterweight

1. Carlos Condit
2. Chris Lytle
3. Nick Diaz

Lightweight

1. Frankie Edgar
2. BJ Penn
3. Nate Diaz

Featherweight

1. Frankie Edgar
2. Conor McGregor
3. Tatsuya Kawajiri

Bantamweight

1. Dominick Cruz
2. Urijah Faber
3. Jon Lineker

Flyweight

1. Jon Lineker
2. John Moraga
3. Tim Elliot

Honorable mentions:
HW - Roy Nelson, Yoshihiro Takayama, Cabbage, Ben Rothwell
LHW - Gus, Jones, Shogun
MW - Chris Leben, Kazushia Sakuraba, Jake Shields
WW - Brian Ebersole, Rory MacDonald, Jake Shields
LW - Takanori Gomi, Clay Guida
FW - Korean Zombie, Korean Superboy
BW - Eddie Wineland
FLW - Demetrious Johnson

Hopefully I didn't forget too many iron chins.

WHO ARE YOUR TOP 3 ALL TIME CHINS FOR EACH DIVISION?
some guys in your list (Nick or Big Nog) actually have GOAT recovery, more than GOAT chin...

Pretty accurate except I might put glover in there also

some guys in your list (Nick or Big Nog) actually have GOAT recovery, more than GOAT chin...
They have both chin and recovery.

They also have GOAT cardio.

Put all those things together and that is why Nick and Nog are so damn hard to stop.

Patrick Cote had one of the best beards until recently.

I wouldn't put anderson on any big chin list. In his prime, he never took shots really.

He is definitely top 5 but probably number 4 behind Hunt, Nog and Fujita.

Mark Hunt's chin was already legendary from the kickboxing world before he debuted in MMA. The man took LHKs from Cro Cop in both K1 and PRIDE. Absolute greatest chin ever

Nog was punched flush by Hendo, donkey konged by Bob Sapp, ground and pounded by Fedor for 20 minutes the 1st fight and beat up on the feet for 20 mins in the 3rd fight with Fedor, beaten to shit yet came back against Cro Cop, Sylvia and Sapp. Took every HW's best shot and survived until he was 40 fights deep when he was finally finished by a TKO.

You can't "one punch walk off" Fujita. Fujita could take 30 knees or 30 soccer kicks to the head but still be in the fight. It takes a lot of volume and a lot of cardio to try to stop Ol' Ironhead. I am not quite sure a prime Roy could survive underneath Mark Kerr getting kneed in the head for 8 mins. Perhaps Roy could but I have seen Fujita shake off ridiculously powerful strikes time and time again. Especially knees to the head on the ground

Mark Hunt's chin is great. However, not only has he been stopped much less often, I give Roy the edge because of how much better defense Hunt has. Hunt doesn't eat things as flush as Roy does. Roy walks into straights and uppercuts and gets caught by bombs with no head movement. Mark is actually a legit technical striker, so in the average fight he doesn't take the same kind of frequency. I don't think Hunt would have survived the beating that Stipe put on Nelson at 181, with something like 100 significant strikes to the head. Yes, Hunt made it to 5 rounds in his own fight with Stipe, but Hunt is a more legit defensive fighter and didn't get beat up in the same way.

Big Nog has a very good chin, but what made him so tough is recovery. He could get rocked and dropped, but he didn't quit. Bob actually knocked him out with the piledriver, but he was jolted back awake by the punches and went back into it. I'd put him in a general toughness list, but I'm not sure about pure chin. The GnP from Fedor wasn't really composed of knockout punches, so Nog's ability to survive was largely toughness, not some kind of freak chin. I'd actually put guys like Rothwell above him in a list of this format.

Fujita for sure belongs up there. What must be noted however, is that he fought smaller guys than Roy and his chin had a shorter life. Wand is a LHW and he stopped Fujita with punches. Roy has been tough his entire career up to this day.

Back