Name one band that came out in the last 10 years that is now a household name

Sure, there are plenty of them but they're all people who became established before the industry died.
can you really call them major stars? their popularity is not so impressive compared to artists of other genres, sadly.

Run the Jewels is a hip hop group that came together in 2013, although Killer Mike's been around a lot longer than that. Not quite a band, but a group/duo.

But they suck and aren't a household name at all.

El-P has been doing the rounds in the Hip Hop for years as well. He was in Company Flow in the 90's and was head of Def Jux records in the 00's. He released loads music and produced for a lot of artists on the underground Hip Hop scene for so long that it's kind of strange seeing how big Run the Jewels have blown up in mainstream music. Fucking love those guys.

Heh. Just posted some Company Flow in the 90's Hip-Hop thread.

can you really call them major stars? their popularity is not so impressive compared to artists of other genres, sadly.

I sure can call Metallica and Guns 'n Roses major stars because they've filled major stadiums with the best of them on recent tours. Iron Maiden still draws huge crowds as well.

Theres pop artists that have gotten huge in the past 10 years but bands? The answer is nobody.

It takes longer than 10 years to reallg make yourself a household name. Especially with your criteria and in this day and age

The problem for the artists and the industry is that the days of releasing a record that everybody will get and talk about because there are only so many releases per month are gone.

Long gone. So it's had what I call a blurring effect: there are so many choices all the time that there isn't enough room for something to go huge the way it used to. It's already old, you see.
Is it though?

I just dont hear anything worth a shit.

The black keys had a really good record and they blew up. I dont even like those guys but they wrote alot of hits and got recognition.

I like the Lumineers, theyre just so tame. If they could use vocals and melodies but also rock.. They could be badass. But they dont.

I do like Cage the Elephant.. But i just feel like im listening to some kids, it doesnt really sound "mature" if that makes since.

I think rock and roll is just not progressing. I think it will have a resurgance. Too many of these up and coming rock bands dont seem to have any of the blues roots that you need to make good rock n roll. They just sound gay

I'm trying to think of a band that has came out in the last ten years that I listen to and other then Ghost and Tedeschi Trucks Band there isn't any.

Every one seems to at least heard of Ed sheeran.

Wish I never heard of him, though
The stuff ive heard recently seems to strayed really far from what made him in the first place.

But yeah that dudes talanted. I didnt realize he was only 27

The stuff ive heard recently seems to strayed really far from what made him in the first place.

But yeah that dudes talanted. I didnt realize he was only 27
I would say that of modern singers Weeknd and Bruno mars stand out for me. They even have non-shit material sometimes. I dislike Sheeran's voice and songs.

There’s plenty that do real well for themselves but if you’re looking to somebody to match with the Stones or Metallica you’re going to have a hard time.
It’s not just that rock isn’t mainstream to that level anymore, it’s just newer bands aren’t as good as those bands. Younger people will be rightfully inclined to listen to older rock which is still very mainstream and not just with the people who grew up with it.

Another thing to realize is that every year, more and more diversity in music is being introduced, making it that much more difficult to be heard/liked by a large amount of people. Beatles and Stones were massive because you didn't have genres like Clown-core and Ambient Industrial back when they were active. People's tastes are much more varied as time goes on. These thread responses pretty much show that few intentionally listen to mainstream.

21 pilots?

Lol, no. The only reason I even know what that mediocre shit is, is because some millenial coworker of mine was trying to get me to listen to them. They aren’t even awful. That would require their music to elicit an emotional response. They can’t even do that. They’re background noise at best.

Lol, no. The only reason I even know what that mediocre shit is, is because some millenial coworker of mine was trying to get me to listen to them. They aren’t even awful. That would require their music to elicit an emotional response. They can’t even do that. They’re background noise at best.
like most bands of 201x, sadly

We live in a world where Imagine Dragons is the biggest rock band, U2 still makes the most money, and that god awful Zombie metal cover gets tons of play. Can't really complain about 21 pilots.

Back