Name one band that came out in the last 10 years that is now a household name

Imagine Dragons is what now considered rock music. Pitiful. Youngsters do listen to metal, but not many.
Even if we take those Imagine Dragons, they have hundreds of millions of views, while Despasito and Drake have billions. Rock music is not as popular as it used to be.
Think I've got 3000+ songs on my ipod and I'd say maybe 100 were written after 2000.

Thing is likes of Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, U2 etc etc still draw huge crowds so I think Rock is still mainstream enough it's just no one has come along to replace them......or alternatively us 38 year olds are not interested in discovering new stuff. Probably both.

Do the under 25s not listen to metal anymore?

Younger friend of mine got me to listen to Imagine Dragons a few weeks ago. Their videos were getting 100s of millions of views on Youtube. I hd never heard of them and found them to be rather bland.
Kids still listen to metal. I'm not sure it's as popular as it was when I was in school, but there's so many different kinds now, almost everyone digs a little of something. And there's still pure-blooded "metalheads" walking around, so it's in a healthy state... Just give up on mainstream rock tho. Shit's been dead for a while. I've nearly shot my radio 1000 times in frustration

There are a couple, here and there. Whether they are "good" rock or not is subjective.

Alabama Shakes, Mumford and Sons, Cage the Elephant, The Civil Wars, Foster the People, etc.

There aren't many traditional, mainstream rock bands anymore. It's sad. Pop, hip hop and country have taken over.

Also one of the new bands that is popular and is good is The Killers

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

Judging by this performance, these guys have a chance.

Think I've got 3000+ songs on my ipod and I'd say maybe 100 were written after 2000.

Thing is likes of Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, U2 etc etc still draw huge crowds so I think Rock is still mainstream enough it's just no one has come along to replace them......or alternatively us 38 year olds are not interested in discovering new stuff. Probably both.

Do the under 25s not listen to metal anymore?

Younger friend of mine got me to listen to Imagine Dragons a few weeks ago. Their videos were getting 100s of millions of views on Youtube. I hd never heard of them and found them to be rather bland.

There is plenty of demand for rock 'n roll and that's why established bands do so well on their tours. The reason why nobody has come along to replace them is that most of the major record labels went out of business because of illegal downloading, Napster and similar sites. There are small labels around but they don't have the money for artist development and marketing that the majors had. Punk Flod's first 6 a;bums didn't make a dime. But they were fortunate enough to be in a thriving music industry where money for artist development existed. They and Queen (another good example of a band whose first several albums didn't do much but went on to great success) had people in the major record labels who believed them and kept spending money on them so they could continue until they matured and became great. Nothing like that exists today. If your first album does badly, you'll likely be dropped even if you are on one of the few remaining major record labels.

Forget about household names from thefts 10 years; try to name a band that made its debut in this century who are major rock stars now.

The Lumineers? I think it's garbage but II remembe that song being everywhere.

Forget about household names from thefts 10 years; try to name a band that made its debut in this century who are major rock stars now.
the question is are there any major rock stars now?

The problem for the artists and the industry is that the days of releasing a record that everybody will get and talk about because there are only so many releases per month are gone.

Long gone. So it's had what I call a blurring effect: there are so many choices all the time that there isn't enough room for something to go huge the way it used to. It's already old, you see.

The problem for the artists and the industry is that the days of releasing a record that everybody will get and talk about because there are only so many releases per month are gone.

Long gone. So it's had what I call a blurring effect: there are so many choices all the time that there isn't enough room for something to go huge the way it used to. It's already old, you see.

Back