Naive Dumbbells Question

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Guess what, I lost 26 lbs! I just did elliptical 3x a week, Jiu Jitsu/Judo 2x a week and ate relatively healthy. Anyway, while I'm happy with the weight loss, I'm not tone really at all. So I've decided to lift weights.

Besides a little weightlifting in high school, I've never really lifted and quickly realized I hardly know where to start. But my apartment complex has a full set of dumbells in its fitness room, so I figured I'd start with those. Turns out the internet provides plenty of great workouts with dumbells. But the sites rarely explain how to determine which level weights to use, and should I be using different weights for different moves. Like, if I'm doing bicep curls with 15lbers, i assume I should be using something heavier when I'm doing a bench press type motion right?

Anyway, I'd love some suggestions on how to know what weights I should use as a beginner and if I should be using different weights for different muscle groups. BTW, if this info helps:

I'm not trying to get shredded, just a little more tone.

More like this:

gerard_butler_3.0.0.0x0.420x851.jpeg

Not this:
l.jpg

I'm 6'1" 186 lbs, age 35.

I'm thankful for any tips.

1)There's a Strength and Power FAQ in this sub-forum. Read it and pick a beginner's program.

2)I love me some dumbbells, but if you're just starting out, they are not the best method of training. Join a decent gym that has barbells. They are easier for a beginner to use and offer faster progression. Also, some exercises like Squats and Deadlifts cannot be done optimally with dumbbells.

3)This sub-forum is more concerned with performance than appearance. Posting pics of the body type you wish to achieve will not be well received.

Join a gym and start a beginner barbell program like Starting Strength.

Jesus Christ you people suck. "Find a barbell, join a gym". Just let the dude do whats convenient for him, he's not aiming to be a fucking athlete. Dumbbells will be good enough.

Hey OP, it's really hard to prescribe what specific weights to use considering we don't really know how strong/weak you are. A better way to figure out what weights to use is to pick a weight that's difficult for the amount of reps you want to do. So you'll have to experiment a bit, you have to find out the answer to your question about what weights to start with on your own.

At first you should aim for doing heavier weights at the 5-10 rep range on multi joint lifts like the (bench press), while for single joint exercise (like curls or tricep extensions) you can opt for slightly lighter weights at the 8-20 rep range. Start light, and if it was really easy to hit the upper portion of the rep range, move up in weight for the next set (or on the next day). Do this until you find a suitable weight for the rep range you want to hit. It should be difficult, but no so difficult that you can't carry on or that your form breaks down while doing it.

The most important thing as a beginner is that you do lots of volume, and to increase that volume over time. So let's say you are doing bench press. Maybe do 3 sets of 10 reps (30 reps total) one workout, and then next time do 4 sets of 8 (32 reps total). If you aren't increasing your volume, then you should be increasing the weight. But as a beginner, the important thing is to always be moving forward in some way.

And most importantly, lift with good form. If you hurt yourself training it'll hold you back more than anything.

Jesus Christ you people suck. "Find a barbell, join a gym". Just let the dude do whats convenient for him, he's not aiming to be a fucking athlete. Dumbbells will be good enough.

What will likely happen is he'll lift with those dumbbells for a few weeks, not have a clue how to program with them or make any decent progress, he'll get fed up with a lack of results and quit. I'm not telling him to run out and join Westside Barbell or anything, but even some crappy gym like Planet Fitness he can have access to barbells for pennies a day and he'll actually have a chance at achieving the results he's looking for.

What will likely happen is he'll lift with those dumbbells for a few weeks, not have a clue how to program with them or make any decent progress, he'll get fed up with a lack of results and quit. I'm not telling him to run out and join Westside Barbell or anything, but even some crappy gym like Planet Fitness he can have access to barbells for pennies a day and he'll actually have a chance at achieving the results he's looking for.

If you can't possibly fathom a scenario where a person can look half decent without using barbells, then you suck as a trainer. In fact, I'd probably say you are just outright blind because if you went to any gym you'd see 10 dudes in good shape who have barely touched a barbell in their life (outside of a bench press).

Programming isn't difficult either. Move up in weight or volume as frequently as possible while maintaining decent form. Bam, progress. I've seen some of the dumbest people I've met have success in the gym just because they understand this principle.

Lastly, people make more progress when they work out more often. Do you think he'll work out more if he has to go to the trouble of going to a gym everyday, or do you think he'll work out more if he can use the gym that's 30 feet away from him? For regular people not obsessed with training, the choice is obvious.

If you can't possibly fathom a scenario where a person can look half decent without using barbells, then you suck as a trainer. In fact, I'd probably say you are just outright blind because if you went to any gym you'd see 10 dudes in good shape who have barely touched a barbell in their life (outside of a bench press).
From what the guy has given us, I'd say it's safe to say he's not one of those genetic outliers.

Programming isn't difficult either. Move up in weight or volume as frequently as possible while maintaining decent form. Bam, progress. I've seen some of the dumbest people I've met have success in the gym just because they understand this principle.
Obviously programming hold the same, but there is no denying it is more difficult with dumbbells. Average dumbbells go up in multipliers of 5, and with two that means each jump is going to be 10lbs, so they have to become more creative with waving rep schemes. Again, it can obviously be done, but since he's asking if he should be benching with a different size dumbbell than he's curling, it appears to me he's likely going to benefit from a much simpler linear program.

Lastly, people make more progress when they work out more often. Do you think he'll work out more if he has to go to the trouble of going to a gym everyday, or do you think he'll work out more if he can use the gym that's 30 feet away from him? For regular people not obsessed with training, the choice is obvious.
With my experience people are much more likely to stick with a program if they're lifting at a gym. The gym membership puts some skin in the game and they're more likely to make sure they're getting their money's work. Plus the biggest reasons I see people quit lifting are a lack of progress and from lifting alone. Most people do not stick with the gym that's 30 feet away from them.

In my brief experience in the gym, most people who would fail to adhere to a program are pretty much helpless unless you have the time and energy to spoon feed them. And the others waist a whole hell of a lot of time and energy on shitty gym routines, and almost always fall back to the barbell for real results.

Unless you have an impingement that doesn't allow you to use a barbell, Id always recommend it. Its your best tool for getting stronger, and looking sexy!

Hey OP, it's really hard to prescribe what specific weights to use considering we don't really know how strong/weak you are. A better way to figure out what weights to use is to pick a weight that's difficult for the amount of reps you want to do. So you'll have to experiment a bit, you have to find out the answer to your question about what weights to start with on your own.

At first you should aim for doing heavier weights at the 5-10 rep range on multi joint lifts like the (bench press), while for single joint exercise (like curls or tricep extensions) you can opt for slightly lighter weights at the 8-20 rep range. Start light, and if it was really easy to hit the upper portion of the rep range, move up in weight for the next set (or on the next day). Do this until you find a suitable weight for the rep range you want to hit. It should be difficult, but no so difficult that you can't carry on or that your form breaks down while doing it.

The most important thing as a beginner is that you do lots of volume, and to increase that volume over time. So let's say you are doing bench press. Maybe do 3 sets of 10 reps (30 reps total) one workout, and then next time do 4 sets of 8 (32 reps total). If you aren't increasing your volume, then you should be increasing the weight. But as a beginner, the important thing is to always be moving forward in some way.

And most importantly, lift with good form. If you hurt yourself training it'll hold you back more than anything.
937202-facepalm_implied_super.jpg

I actually started with dumbbells. I like them for starters, because most peoples dominant side is so much stronger than the off hand. dumbbells help to even that out, and I like the extra range of motion.

I think you can get good results with what you are trying to do. Look up videos on proper bench techniques, and look up some dumbbell exercises and focus on the form in the workout.

Get use to the form of the exercise, and not so much on moving weight. You really need to focus on working only the muscle group that you are trying to target. start light, and move up every week, until it gets difficult. If you start to realize yourself getting out of form, drop the weight back down. That's my best advice. Don't ego lift, the form is THE most important part.

From what the guy has given us, I'd say it's safe to say he's not one of those genetic outliers.

Obviously programming hold the same, but there is no denying it is more difficult with dumbbells. Average dumbbells go up in multipliers of 5, and with two that means each jump is going to be 10lbs, so they have to become more creative with waving rep schemes. Again, it can obviously be done, but since he's asking if he should be benching with a different size dumbbell than he's curling, it appears to me he's likely going to benefit from a much simpler linear program.

With my experience people are much more likely to stick with a program if they're lifting at a gym. The gym membership puts some skin in the game and they're more likely to make sure they're getting their money's work. Plus the biggest reasons I see people quit lifting are a lack of progress and from lifting alone. Most people do not stick with the gym that's 30 feet away from them.

Man this is deluded. Sorry.

Those people are not genetic outliers. People got in good shape before starting strength and barbells and they'll continue to get in shape without it. Programming is no more difficult with dumbbells. Or bodyweight. It's pretty much the same, actually. Increase resistance, frequency, or volume (do the last two until you can make that "massive" jump of 5lbs). Not freakin' rocket science. In my experience dealing with normal people who are beginners, not young dudes with something to prove and fuck all to do, is that they're busy and what's most convenient is usually best. Besides, OP didn't come in here asking for advice on where he should train or if using DBs is alright. At least answer his actual question.

Speaking of which - if your answer to someone's question of "how can I look like I'm in shape?" is starting strength, it's time to re-evaluate what you think you know, unless you think giant legs are the cornerstone of aesthetics. Because doing 45 reps of upper body work per week will totally get you jacked and tanned in all the places that count.

Back