NAGA rules

yossarian1979

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
can anyone post the link to where i can get the rules? it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Link - http://www.nagafighter.com/naga_rules.asp
GI RULES (BJJ RULES)
GI DIVISIONS POINTS ARE AWARDED FOR:

Ø Takedowns 2 POINTS

Ø Sweep from the Guard 2 POINTS

Ø Knee on Stomach Position 2 POINTS

Ø Pass Guard to Side Position 3 POINTS

Ø Rear Mount Position 4 POINTS

Ø Mount Position 4 POINTS

You must hold your position for 3 seconds

WHITE BELTS & ALL CHILDREN/TEEN GI COMPETITORS:

Ø No attacks below the waist (No Knee bars, foot locks, etc.)

BLUE BELTS, MASTERS, DIRECTOR, EXECUTIVE WOMEN’S ADVANCE):

Ø Straight Knee Bars, Straight Ankle locks are allowed

Ø Twisting Ankle or Twisting Leg Locks are NOT allowed

ADULT MEN’S PURPLE BELT & ABOVE:

Ø Straight Knee Bars, Straight Ankle Locks & Toe Holds (Figure four) are allowed

Ø Neck Cranks are NOT allowed in any GI division (i.e. Can Opener): You do NOT have to weigh in with your uniform/Gi on

Ø A full Gi must be worn, no cut of sleeves: Rash guards, sports bra’s for women or T-Shirts may be worn under your Gi

NAGA GRAPPLING RULES

GENERAL RULES:

Ø At a minimum a groin protector, mouthpiece, and shorts with a drawstring must be worn, no pockets on the shorts

Ø Wrestling/Martial Arts shoes are allowed.

Ø Anything a fight wears can be used against him/her during the match (Grabbing clothing for example) Women/Girls cannot use shirts for submission

Ø Taping of hands, wrists and feet are not allowed

During the Match:

Ø If there is stalling on the ground, the referee has the right to restart the match standing (Warn fighters first)

Ø If the competitors go off the mat, the match can be stopped by the referee and the competitors will be moved to the middle of the ring/mat in the same position if that position can be determined by the referee.

Ø The referee has the right to stop time and check the condition of the fighters (cuts, injuries, etc.)

Ø If no take down occurs, fighters may be re-started from the Guard Position. The referee will flip a coin to determine who takes the top & bottom position.

TIME LENGTH:

1. All Kids, Teens BEGINNER DIVISIONS are 3 Minutes in Length

2. All Kids & Teens Intermediate & Advanced, Adult Novice/Beginner Divisions will be 4 Minutes

3. Adult Intermediate Divisions will be 5 Minutes

4. Adult Advanced/Expert Divisions 6 Minutes

WAYS TO WIN:

Ø By submission whether by tapping or verbally - Consciously Submitting - It is VERY important that all competitors understand how to "Tap-Out" when caught in a submission technique. Tapping out can be done both verbally or through a physical tap. A competitor can tap with their hands, feet or even a nod of their head. This "Tapping" is a conscious admittance of loss or surrender to an opponent.

Ø Referee Stoppage (TKO, cuts, feels fighter is not capable of defending himself), Doctor Stoppage

Ø Corner throws in the towel

Ø Judges decision

Ø Disqualification

Ø Forfeit

Ø No Contest

LEGAL SUBMISSION MOVES:

Ø Fighters are allowed to grab and use their opponents clothing applying submission techniques, T-shirts are optional (No-Gi Div.)

Ø If the fight does not end by submission the referee will choose the winner based on the NAGA Decision Making Criteria included in this flyer. Our official rulebook is available on our the web page www.nagafighter.com

Ø If a match is considered a “Draw” by the referee, then there will be a 2-minute overtime. Judges are encouraged to choose a winner in every match should it not end by submission.

Ø If fighters are deadlocked, the referee may re-start the match from a standing position

Ø No Gi Divisions (Gi/Uniforms are not required, at a minimum shorts with a draw string, cup and mouthpiece must be worn). Any intentional use of an illegal technique or act of poor sportsmanship will result in the immediate ejection of that competitor/spectators.

Ø All Submission Techniques are legal (including heel hooks, knee locks, guillotine chokes etc.) except:

NAGA ILLEGAL TECHNIQUES

SPECIAL RULES FOR KIDS & TEENS:

Ø NO HEEL HOOKS allowed in the KIDS & TEEN divisions.

Ø NO SLAMMING from the Guard allowed in any of the KIDS & TEEN divisions.

Ø NO NECK CRANKS ALLOWED

NO STRIKES OF ANY KIND:

Ø No strikes of any kind allowed to any part of the body or head at all

Ø No elbows or forearm strikes are allowed

Ø No butting with the head

Ø No knees to the head

Ø No ridge hands or back fist strikes

Ø No kicks to an opponent

OTHER FOULS not allowed:

Ø Attacks to the front of the windpipe (i.e. Finger in throat), eyes (elbows, palms, fingers, etc.) or groin. No pushing palm or elbow directly into nose.

Ø Striking of any kind including: headbutts, punches, elbows, knees, kicks etc.

Ø Dropping or slamming of opponent on their head, no slamming from the Guard Position (From above the waste)

Ø Eye Gouging

Ø Attacks to the windpipe either by strikes or clutching the trachea

Ø Fish Hooking

Ø Biting

Ø Spiking an opponent on his/her head

Ø Pulling Hair

Ø Pinching, twisting of skin

Ø Sticking a finger into a cut of an opponent

Ø Small Joint Manipulation

Ø Putting a finger into any orifice

Ø Interference by a corner with any official or fighter

Ø Attacking an opponent in any of these circumstances:

1. Before the fight has started

2. After the fight has ended

3. During a rest period between rounds

4. When an opponent is being looked at by the medic or any other official

Ø Spitting and or swearing

Ø Throwing an opponent off the mat

Ø Unsportsmanlike conduct

NAGA NO-GI POINT SCORING SYSTEM

Throughout history the goal of wrestling in every form is control of the opponent. For thousands of years, this control has been understood in three distinct ways - Pinning, throwing, and Submission. The greatest exhibition of control of all sports is forcing your opponent to consciously submit. It is this standard by which NAGA contests are instantly won. In the event that no submission occurs, the match must be decided by “Advantage” which is defined below. The player in a Grappling contest should attempt to get the Takedown, secure Dominant Control, and take the Submission.

-TAKEDOWN- Full Advantage (2 Points) is awarded for all Takedowns.

In determining the Takedown, the referee will look to who initiated the takedown, and how it ended up. Thus if one player shoots, his opponent sprawls, and the sprawling opponent then pulls Guard, a Takedown is awarded, as the initial movement was a Takedown attempt. If however a player aggressively pulls Guard from standing, no Takedown is awarded.

Note: The NAGA Scoring System is designed to award each player according to the standards defined above – Takedown, to Control, to Submission. Playing for points is not rewarded. Thus, if a player gets a Takedown, lets his opponent up, and then again goes for the Takedown, no consecutive points need be awarded.

-DOMINANT CONTROL Full Advantage (2 Points) is awarded - Controlling your opponent is a crucial step to obtaining a Submission, thus Full Advantage (2 Points) is awarded for aggressively obtaining Dominant Control. Dominant Control is any secure form of control that lends itself to submission. The control has to be long enough to set up a submission attempt, which can be as short as a second or two. These forms of control include: -Back Mount*; -Cross Side; -Head and Arm; -Knee on Stomach; -Mount; -North/South; *Hooks are not required for Back Mount control.

Among the most common ways to get Dominant Position are: -Ending a Takedown with a Dominant Position. In this situation, two points are awarded for a Takedown, and another two points are awarded for obtaining Dominant Position, for a total of Four Points.

GUARD PASS or SWEEP- Full Advantage (2 Points) is awarded

-Sweep From Guard to a Dominant Position. Further, if you take the Back from Guard, this is the functional equivalent to a Sweep. -Full Reverse, defined as going from the bottom of a Dominant Position to the top of a Dominant Position, leaving the situation totally reversed. For Example: You are bottom North-South, you roll the top player, and end up with top North-South.

Note: The NAGA Scoring System is designed to award each player according to the standards defined above – Takedown, to Control, to Submission. Playing for points is not rewarded. Thus, if a player simply transitions between Dominant Positions, he does not achieve additional points. For example, if you have Side Control, and you go to Mount, and then Knee on Stomach, no additional points are awarded. Further, in The NAGA Scoring System no points are awarded for Escapes. This, if you are Bottom Mount, and you bridge to In Guard, no points are awarded as you went from a disadvantageous position to a neutral position.

-SUBMISSION- Full Advantage (2 Points) is awarded for a Full and Strong Submission Attempt. A Submission is recognized as Full and Strong when is one or more of the following occurs:

-The opponent takes time to escape; -Upon escaping, the opponent does not instantly move to an attack of his own, but instead assumes a defensive posture; -The defender is 'In Danger' - the finish has the potential for completion (if a kneebar, the hips have to be placed correctly, if a choke, the neck must have been reached, etc.);

-The finish in question is not a low percentage submission (wrist lock, body scissor, etc).

Minor Advantage (1 Point) is awarded for a Submission Attempt that is significant but does not meet the above criteria.

-TIE- In the event that players are equal in terms of Advantage, judges will determine a tie by considering first, who skillfully controlled the Pace, Place, and Position on the mat, in order to ultimately set up an eventual submission. Pace is which Grappler determined the

tempo of the match. Place is which Grappler dictated where on the mat the match took place. Position is which Grappler successfully initiated the tie ups and other action.

If they are still equal, Judges will give the decision to the player with less warnings or cautions. Last, in the absence of any warnings or cautions, the edge shall be given to the fighter who better exemplifies the sport as an exciting, colorful, viable contest. If the players are still equal, then an overtime period can be called for.

I'm thinking about competing in March at the NAGA in NJ. How late is too late to sign up, and are there any advantages to me signing up sooner rather then later?

if you pre-register you save like 10-15 bucks, but other than that there is no benefit to pre-registering....if you dont pre-register you'll have to wait in a longer line at the tourney that morning but other than that you can sigh up at the day of the tournament if you want. Good luck bro!!

Thanks man, might as well pre-register then. Hope everything runs semi-smoothly at least at this tournament.

I was going to take my brother-in-law with me, but after hearing some of the horror stores of how long some people waited to compete, I’m not to sure about it. I don’t want him to have to sit there and wait all day, when he is really just coming to see me compete.

Question:
Can you wear or has anyone here seen half and half gi's (black pants white top) and how strict are they on sleeve length for gi??

Ø Taping of hands, wrists and feet are not allowed

how do u tap then ? ? ? ?

Question:
Can you wear or has anyone here seen half and half gi's (black pants white top) and how strict are they on sleeve length for gi??

I have only seen either one color or the other at these competitions, and the naga and GQ's that i have been to never check sleeve length, although anyone that i have grappled with the gi on has had legal sleeves so....if they weren't legal i'd bring it to the refs attention before the match

I'm extremely dissapointed to see there are no slams from the guard that is just a stupid rule IMO.

Mike2Cold said:
I'm extremely dissapointed to see there are no slams from the guard that is just a stupid rule IMO.
Wow..

Anyways, don't follow much of the rules since they change them. Last comp they allowed everyone to go for leglocks. It was gay.

I have a question though.

Back control, u dont need to put the hooks in? so if the guy turtles up and i just go on top of him and work on his neck without entering my hooks, i get 2 points?

Thanks to who can inform me

I got a feeling that this is only applicable in no gi if your butt or hips are on the ground.

ShadowNINku said:
Question:

naga, as with most bjj tournaments, implements a sleeve length/width of ones 4 fingers stuck in the sleeve virtically. ive only seen them check if guys either complain to the judges, or if the guy wears famous gi's that dont meet sleeve requirements (most adidas gis).

but if you can stick 4 fingers into your sleeve virtically, you have nothing to worry about.

sry for reviving an old thread, but i got a question in the rules, it says you cannot attack the front of the windpipe, does that mean you cant push there elbow onto there throat if they are on gaurd to tire them out?

Back