N/s kimura - stop opponent from turtling

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys ,

I have been watching Ryan halls open elbow and been having some success with kimuras from n/s but a few of the stronger Guys still seem to be able to rotate and get to turtle .

I've tried keeping my legs tight , but I constantly have to battle to keep them there .

Any tips from some of the experiance guys at this move to keep the guy on bottom stationary ?

Thanks in advance

Got to ask Dave Camarillo about exactly the same problem recently. His suggestion was when you go N/S don't switch arms at the normal point, keep the arm that was your underhook in as that will give you a lever to put him flat on his back again if he tries to turtle. Only swap arms once you feel he's stuck and stopped struggling, kneeling on the bottom arm also helps make it difficult to rotate.

Got to ask Dave Camarillo about exactly the same problem recently. His suggestion was when you go N/S don't switch arms at the normal point, keep the arm that was your underhook in as that will give you a lever to put him flat on his back again if he tries to turtle. Only swap arms once you feel he's stuck and stopped struggling, kneeling on the bottom arm also helps make it difficult to rotate.

That's a great point on the bottom arm , I could pin that down with my knee .

The thing I find most difficult is the ratio /opportunity between controlling my opponent and getting the submission .

I think it helps to step in between their bottom armpit and ribs with your heel.

So say you pull them up on their side and you're trying to finish the kimura on their right arm. Use your left heel against the floor and drag it in between their left armpit and their chest. Almost like you were going to fall on your right side and shoot for an inverted triangle. This sort of pinches their bottom shoulder and back stops it a little bit so it's harder for them to turn.

Not sure exactly what you're referring to TS, but, this is my go-to from N/S. This video is 3 or 4 years old, so I've gotten a lot smoother at it now lol, but yeah, keep your main arm laced through their arm nice and tight, while scooping under their neck and ideally cupping their armpit while sitting them up and forward towards their chest to put them into a neck crank.

This will break their grip usually to alleviate the pressure o their neck/spine.

Like i said, I've refined this a lot since this video was made, and I use it all the time; maybe I'll do an updated video.

Back