Mystery moves...no can repeat...

or maybe your opponents are just bad and have a weak center of gravity. Sometimes I fall over from just being in the butterfly guard.

Or sometimes I'm so dumb I tie myself into a pretzel and I tap from my own stupidity.

I almost want to put that in my sig! "i'm so dumb I tie myself into a pretzel and tap from my own stupidity." heh heh.

one very successful sweep i started doing out of instinct I eventually figured out how I was doing it and would show it to my teammates and instructor. A while later we had a seminar with a BlackBelt from Brazil and he showed the sweep...and the defense

Its threads like these that remind one of yet another good reason on the long list of good reasons for recording your rolls.

You are entering and exiting positions without planned techniques. This is called scrambling. It is a major part of wrestling in general.

In wrestling, it is understood that while entering positions may be highly planned, maybe only 50% of the exits/enters into a different position are going to be planned; for sure, they will be scrambles. Wrestlers do something that not a lot of other combat sports do: they drill positional scrambling in a very methodical way. It is usually in the form of daily drills that start in a certain position but do not have sequential techniques. These drills instill muscle memory that allow you to be fractions of a second faster in scramble positions and are the difference between JV high school wrestlers and Olympic champions.

Many people, including wrestlers, think that these scrambles are chaotic or free flowing zen moments of movement, and for many, they are. However, the guys who put the time and structure into drilling scramble positions have a much higher level of positional awareness. When they are entering and exiting scramble positions against someone just "going with the flow", it is like a shark in deep water against a hobbyist surfer.

Back