Mystery moves...no can repeat...

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm concentrating on butterfly and x guard at the moment. I've been hitting sweeps and I don't know how I am finishing them. I can't repeat them afterwards. I don't even know how I'm doing them. I think I am just disrupting their balance and eventually they just fall over. It is effortless.

Over the years I have had mystery submissions. Things I don't claim to invent, but I have never seen before. I might have unlocked some invisible jiu jitsu unknowingly.

I don't want to record my rolls. The magic might know its being watched. ;-) I'll just keep flowing and keep messing with their balance.

Am I alone here? Is anybody else inventing stuff unknowingly?

I don't know that I invent stuff, but a huge part of learning for me is trying entirely new things and messing with both my and my opponent's anatomy, balance and structure. I'm sure any of the crazy shit I've seen myself do has been done somewhere, and there's probably even a youtube video about it, but to me that's the ideal way to learn. Experiment with your body's capabilities, experiment (gently) with your partners, and in trying new movements you learn what works and what doesn't, and you learn about the human body. And sometimes you pull some weird shit and get mounted, or immediately subbed, it happens.

Yeah, it usually happens when I am slow rolling, but lately its been happening in competitive "hard" rolls. I have abandoned some instinctual tendencies and letting a "mysterious power" take over.
Getting their weight on me, rocking back and forth, stretching out their legs, etc. I am sure Marcelo or Caio have done instructional videos on it.

You are Neo

lol... I was thinking that I was using a type energy field created by all living things, but I'm not one for those hokey religious explanations.
I'm just happy to know that as I approach 50 years on the planet and twenty on the mat, there are still so many jiu jitsu phenomena to explore.

I hit the weirdest armbar ever when i was still a white belt. And I have some "rare submissions" that I created from gift wrap, but rarely hit because there are usually better options. But I've never seen them anywhere else.

Yeah, it usually happens when I am slow rolling, but lately its been happening in competitive "hard" rolls. I have abandoned some instinctual tendencies and letting a "mysterious power" take over.
Getting their weight on me, rocking back and forth, stretching out their legs, etc. I am sure Marcelo or Caio have done instructional videos on it.
It's funny. Sometimes I'll just watch a Marcelo video and then think about a specific move or series he does when I'm rolling, and just BAM. Hit it. I tapped a really good dude the other day with the butterfly rock back like you're swreping to one side then straight armbar the opposite arm the other day, and had never drilled it before. He said he knew exactly what I was doing, but it still worked

At a tournament I was in bottom closed guard and pulled my opponents sleeve to try to take the back (pulled his right sleeve). I was too slow to take the back but instead my left arm was behind his head and so I gripped his right side of his collar. I had a really good grip there so I pulled hard and swept him, kept the grip and went kind of into s-mount and pulled and got the tap. My teammate said it was like a modified bow and arrow choke. I've tried to do it a couple times since then but I can never seem to get that grip tight enough to sweep them anymore.

One of my friend is the same. He would hit some awesome moves but could explain or remember them later on.

For butterfly and x guards, I found that the missing link was the single x guard which make things a lot smother later on.

I get weird sweeps like that sometimes too. it's fun and one of the main reasons why i like playing butterfly/xguard.

I find that this happens a lot when people get really desperate to avoid the traditional sweeps and do dumb things.

Interestingly I think this kind of thing happens more the better you get. I suspect this is because experienced grapplers have internalized (consciously or unconsciously) effective grappling principles. Take the idea of sweeping, for instance: there are plenty of "premade" sweeping techniques that work really well (butterfly hook sweep, scissor sweep, RDLR spin-under, etc., etc.,) but there is also a lot of room for creative improvisation in a given situation that can result in a sweep. Intuitively grasping how to off-balance an opponent, get underneath of them, force them to post in a certain way (allowing you to come up on a single, for example); all of these ideas can be used to set up various sweeping movements. This idea of improvising is especially useful because your opponent will be adjusting in real-time as well. I actually suspect that a great deal of high level BJJ done during sparring or competition is done below the level of conscious awareness. It often takes a lot of awareness and backwards engineering to figure out exactly what you did and why it worked. Competition footage is very helpful for this purpose.

or maybe your opponents are just bad and have a weak center of gravity. Sometimes I fall over from just being in the butterfly guard.

Or sometimes I'm so dumb I tie myself into a pretzel and I tap from my own stupidity.

And while I'm on this tangent, I think that the ability to become aware & fully conscious of what makes your BJJ effective is a skill that comes easily to some and not to others. There are a lot of elite competitors who aren't able to do this. Their BJJ is still elite, but they will usually struggle mightily to teach it well to others. Of course, there are those who are excellent at grasping the intricate and nuanced details of their skillset (Ryan Hall immediately comes to mind), but it's not usually an easy thing to do.

I know what you mean, sometimes I'm in the middle of a roll and all of the sudden I'm laying on my back with someone holding my feet in the air. i don't even know how I got there.

Whether in grappling euphoric flow, or even occasionally in sparring.....

Prob some endorphin release like a runners high

Just being in the moment

State of Mu

I call it Tapping Into the Matrix

At a tournament I was in bottom closed guard and pulled my opponents sleeve to try to take the back (pulled his right sleeve). I was too slow to take the back but instead my left arm was behind his head and so I gripped his right side of his collar. I had a really good grip there so I pulled hard and swept him, kept the grip and went kind of into s-mount and pulled and got the tap. My teammate said it was like a modified bow and arrow choke. I've tried to do it a couple times since then but I can never seem to get that grip tight enough to sweep them anymore.

I got this same sub today during a roll. I don't recall it being the same setup, I believe I was on top this time and my partner went a little to their side so I went for seatbelt to take the back but I grabbed the collar with my overbook side and I went for the sub (step over into S mount kind of and with that grip just pull)

Anyone know what the sub is called?

today I had guard and was fishing for butterfly hooks off of a double paw grip, i ended up getting my shins underneath his ass, lifted, rolled onto my right shoulder which dumped him into turtle with a double ball-and-chain, re-grabbed both of his sleeves at the wrist with my left hand, slipped the collar with my right, and then popped up and rodeo choked him for the tap. all in like 5 seconds.

then i went and threw up.

Sounds like you are becoming one with Marcelo Garcia.

Back