my wee Auntie Maisie just passed away...

AgentSmecker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I got a message from one of my Aunts on monday telling me my wee Aunt Maisie was in a very bad way and was asking for me so I went to see her in her nursing home. I nearly burst out crying when I walked into her room but of course for her sake I couldnt do that, laying there on her bed she must've been all but 3 maybe 4 stone tops and was barely recognisable as the woman I once knew. She was literally skin and bone, her eyes were sunken in and her skin was stretched out over her skull like parchment paper. I have never seen anyone like this irl, she barely looked human anymore, almost like a living breathing skeleton.

Anyway at least she was still lucid enough to recognise me and was happy to see me, I sat with her for a while then kissed her and said goodbye and told her I'd come around again tomorrow. Next day my other aunt messaged to say she was dying now. I went around to see her but she was completely out of it, jacked up on morphine and wasnt aware of anyone there in the room with her so I knew she was on her way out and I kissed her on the head and said my final goodbye. Just a short while ago I got the message that she had passed. To be honest after seeing the pitiful state she was in it is a relief to hear her suffering is now over.

It's something I've thought about before but it's made me think about it once more and with more insight now. My Aunt remained positive and cheery right up until the end even when she was unable to care for herself anymore and I'm sure it's not something she would have considered but I'd hate to get to the point were I can no longer feed myself or even go to the toilet and wipe my own ass.

If any among you are willing to speak of such things have you had any experiences with loved ones or anyone who were dying and shared their thoughts on their own mortality? Have you heard them speak of longing for death or did they fight for every last breath until the end? If euthansia were an option do you think a lot of people would choose it?

Hard to say so with great certainty until I'm in that position (if it ever comes to that) but right now I feel that I'd want to be put to sleep. The question is would I still feel that way when my time was all but done or would I yet cling to my miserable existence until the bitter end?

Sorry for your lost. I was raised by my aunt(my choice). If I knew I was dying I'd probably spam dick pics to the bitter end.

My grandfather asked me to take him home to die. My dad didn't know who he was or where he was for the last 6 months. My mother quit dialysis because she was ready to die. They both had living wills to keep them off medication and life support. I hope I remember to kill myself before I get too bad. I also have a living will.

I'm sorry to hear that man. RIP Auntie Maisie. What caused her to be in such bad shape? Some kind of illness?

I saw my dad deteriorate rapidly not long ago due to cancer. He was feeling perfectly fine, except for some back pain. Turned out it was cancer that had spread everywhere. It was in his pancreas, liver, spine, lungs and a few more places. Never had any symptoms though. Felt absolutely great until the back pain showed, and even then he was still fine. A few days after he was diagnosed he couldn't walk anymore and was bed ridden. Couldn't eat anymore. Passed away at the end of the month. He probably lost around 50 or 60 pound over that time if I had to guess. We talked a lot during that time. He was very restless in the hours before he passed and he really just wanted it to be over. If he didn't die then, he probably would have asked the doctor for euthanasia the next day.

Sorry for your loss...rest in peace

I'm sorry to hear that man. RIP Auntie Maisie. What caused her to be in such bad shape? Some kind of illness?

I saw my dad deteriorate rapidly not long ago due to cancer. He was feeling perfectly fine, except for some back pain. Turned out it was cancer that had spread everywhere. It was in his pancreas, liver, spine, lungs and a few more places. Never had any symptoms though. Felt absolutely great until the back pain showed, and even then he was still fine. A few days after he was diagnosed he couldn't walk anymore and was bed ridden. Couldn't eat anymore. Passed away at the end of the month. He probably lost around 50 or 60 pound over that time if I had to guess. We talked a lot during that time. He was very restless in the hours before he passed and he really just wanted it to be over. If he didn't die then, he probably would have asked the doctor for euthanasia the next day.

Thanks man. She was 85 yo so fair innings tbn. She was riddled with arthritis and her hands were all knotted up but other than that I dunno. She had been getting bad for a while but deteriorated rapidly this year and just kept on losing weight. I think she was so frail and weak that any kind of invasive examinations to find out if there was any other underlying conditions would have been too much for her to take. I'm sad but relieved she is at peace now.

I felt similarly last week with a very ill pigeon I was nursing but it became clear there was no way he would pull through and so I ended up having him pts. I would like to have that option if ever I end up in such a pathetic and miserable state.

I always liked the account of Aldous Huxley taking lsd on his death bed. I think that might help me on my way.

[edit]
delete pliz

Last edited:
Im sorry for your aunt OP. Was in the exact same position with my uncle,Ill never forget how horribly skinny he looked. Take care man.
I saw my dad deteriorate rapidly not long ago due to cancer. He was feeling perfectly fine, except for some back pain. Turned out it was cancer that had spread everywhere. It was in his pancreas, spine, lungs and few more places. Never had any symptoms. Felt absolutely great until the back pain showed, and even then he was still fine. A few days after he was diagnosed he couldn't walk. Passed away at the end of the month. We talked a lot during that time. He was very restless in the hours before he passed and he really just wanted it to be over. If he didn't die then, he probably would have asked the doctor for euthanasia the next day.
Youre freaking me out. There mustve been some indication,perhaps that he in retrospect realized? Was he leading a healthy life otherwise? My condolences.

I remember what my great grandfather Serratelli said to me on his death bed.
He had been one of the major Dons in the East Coast Cosa Nostra at one time, survived murder attempts, federal wiretaps, internal power struggles by power greedy subordinates but finally succumbed to a liver infection that led to sepsis and death.

as I held his frail, wrinkled hand he whispered in a rasp "La vita è un sogno".
(Life is a dream).

he died later that night, hopefully in another dream in another place.
despite his position, he was a kind and gentle man.

Hang in there brutha just realize you and everyone u love will meet sane fate. No escaping it . Accepting that doesn't take away the pain , but it does add some comfort in knowing it's an inevitable cycle of life and we're all a part of it . Hakuna Matata.

What does "wee auntie" mean.. like was she a midget???
R.I.P (or r.i.p)

What does "wee auntie" mean.. like was she a midget???
R.I.P (or r.i.p)

I'm a Scot. Wee just means small and it may very well be the most commonly used word in the Scottish language suitable for any occasion i.e. look at his wee face, he's a wee rascal, shut yer mouth ya wee dick, alright wee man (usually when talking to a child or a manlet) how ye doin?, I fancy a wee drink tonight (in that instance usually not so wee) or in this case bless her wee soul.

So there you have it wee baws ;)

Youre freaking me out. There mustve been some indication,perhaps that he in retrospect realized? Was he leading a healthy life otherwise? My condolences.

Thank's for your condolences.

I can't think of any indications tbh. He hurt his back while doing some work around the house and in his garden, but that's not unusual. Just muscle soreness or something or a pulled muscle. This time however, it turned out it was because a vertebrae was weakened due to cancer and it collapsed when he was doing stuff. He even went to a physical therapist for his back and that guy never noticed anything wrong either. He had a small spot on the back of his head that looked suspicious. Went to the doc with that, they took a biopsy. Results showed that he probably had cancer in his lungs or pancreas and maybe the liver. So he went to an oncologist, got an MRI and it turns out it was everywhere. Probably started in the pancreas tail, which sucks because it usually doesn't results in any symptoms until it's too late, like in my dad's case. That's why pancreatic cancer is usually so deadly. People often only find out when it has spread everywhere. At least from my understanding.

He was leading a pretty healthy life. Was active, always going for a walk or working in his garden. Growing some potatoes and vegetables. Never drank, smoked or did drugs. Ate pretty healthy most of the time, fruits and vegetables everyday. Occasionally snacked on some cookies or ice cream, but not often. Blood values were also good whenever he got checked.

Thing is, sometimes people have shit luck. Sometimes obese, smoking drunks live a long life while healthy, active regular people die young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back