My Ward vs Kovalev Scorecard - Round by Round

Two people in that thread seriously considered that it might have been a robbery. Half the boxing fans on the internet continue to bitch about Kovalev/Ward.

you yourself said it was a robbery.

so because they dont mention "fight area control" that reinforces your theory?

i think that one can make an argument that since they dont mention "fight area control" as not being a criteria then one may subjectively use it since mma rules specifically say that it is used when striking/grappling and effective aggressiveness are equal...which was the case in many of the kovalev/ward rounds

Uh, yeah, if the boxing guidelines don't mention something as relevant to scoring we probably shouldn't automatically intuit that it matters because we want those guidelines to apply. This might be me misreading things, but are you saying MMA guidelines should impact the way we score boxing?

but when ward wins every close round(5-11) that is where i believe kovalev has an argument.

you can concievably give andre every single close round and thats why its not a robbery but a bad decision
Yes you can. If he did the same thing to pull out the round in their eyes.
Every round is on its own. You have to have consistency in any scoring method. Not unfair or far fetched. Especially when you consider Ward is a master of making adjustments and Kov is not.

It would be better served to just point out the rounds you have a problem with.

you yourself said it was a robbery.

lol, when I had lost money on the fight and was drunk. Even in that state I said I'd have to rewatch the fight before I made any concrete claims and repeatedly said after rewatch that it wasn't a robbery (which I clearly stated in that thread).

Uh, yeah, if the boxing guidelines don't mention something as relevant to scoring we probably shouldn't automatically intuit that it matters because we want those guidelines to apply. This might be me misreading things, but are you saying MMA guidelines should impact the way we score boxing?

yes, although scoring is somewhat subjective when a round is even. i always give it to the fighter that is trying to make the fight. some people might still give it to a fighter that is fighting off the ropes if he is a notorious counter-puncher like floyd, jmm or canelo as they are trying to set up their opponent

yes, although scoring is somewhat subjective when a round is even. i always give it to the fighter that is trying to make the fight. some people might still give it to a fighter that is fighting off the ropes if he is a notorious counter-puncher like floyd, jmm or canelo as they are trying to set up their opponent

Okay. I'm just saying that it's not part of the judging guidelines.

thats the thing with this fight. If you scored it for Ward you basically gave him all the close rounds.....

I though Kov won pretty clear. Could have done more of course. Ward did good in the middle-late rounds. But i thought Kov did what he wanted when he wanted to.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Ring_generalship

my guess is that ward fought off his backfoot more often than not whereas andre has never been a fighter known as a counterpuncher. he has always fought of his frontfoot

sergey never fights off his backfoot and didnt in this fight as well

Ward has regularly fought on the backfoot on several occasions, the most notable likely being against Froch.

looking at the judges scorecard the only thing was round 3 which 2 judges gave to kovalev when it was a clear ward round
and round 10 all 3 judges gave to ward when I felt it was a clear kovalev round.

round 4 was a close round.
round 12 was a close round

round 1,2,6,10 were clear kovalev
rounds 3,5,7,8,9,11

if you gave round 4 and 12 to kovalev I can see a kovalev win. I can't see a score card any wider than 114-113 for kovalev however.

Kovalev was robbed but we will see in the rematch. I think Ward will pull out via fake injury

Back