My Ward vs Kovalev Scorecard - Round by Round

kovalev is crying a lot on social media. kryer kovalev will look silly if he loses again

I scored both of those rounds for Ward too.

4 could have been kovalev
round 3 really couldnt be clear ward round. who cares if kovalev dropped him last round he didnt land a meaningful punch in round 3 and landed maybe 4 punches at all and im being generous.

3 5 7 8 9 11 were all clear as day for ward. round 12 was close bug i gave it to ward as well.

I had no problem with the decision.

I didn't think it was a great fight though. Lots of grappling, often initiated by Kovalev when Ward tried to get inside. Not a lot of punching, especially meaningful punching.

Kovalev is going to need to do something a little differently than just jab jab jab straight right this time. Those are two of the best punches in the sport but Ward is too good for such a basic attack.

I figured people scored it on based of what kovalev in their opinion could have done vs what actually happened. Kovalev showed that he is not good vs inside fighters. he also showed he is pretty strong on the outside. Ward found something that bothered kovalev and it won him 5 of the last 6 rounds regardless of how you scored it you cant deny that ward dominated the second half. then there are the odd scorer that have the second have 4-2 kovalev or 3-3

Wouldn't you say they are similar fights?

other than ward getting kd and winning and jacobs getting kd and losing yes. that is conceivably a three-point swing which obvioulsy could be the difference between losing and winning. in sergeys case, absolutely pathetic that if ward wins the kd round then andre beat sergey 116-112.

116-112?

i thought that the kovalev decision was bad whereas i could see either danny or golovkin winning. i believed the sergey was the aggressor in the fight, held the center of the ring(ward is not traditionally a counter-puncher like floyd) so when no one is doing much of anything, which was the case in many if not the majority of the rounds, i scored them for sergey.

the fact that the judges gave ward rounds 6 to 7 consecutive rounds is indefensible in what most believed were rounds that couldve gone either way.

other than ward getting kd and winning and jacobs getting kd and losing yes. that is conceivably a three-point swing which obvioulsy could be the difference between losing and winning. in sergeys case, absolutely pathetic that if ward wins the kd round then andre beat sergey 116-112.

116-112?

i thought that the kovalev decision was bad whereas i could see either danny or golovkin winning. i believed the sergey was the aggressor in the fight, held the center of the ring(ward is not traditionally a counter-puncher like floyd) so when no one is doing much of anything, which was the case in many if not the majority of the rounds, i scored them for sergey.

the fact that the judges gave ward rounds 6 to 7 consecutive rounds is indefensible in what most believed were rounds that couldve gone either way.

Holding the center of the ring nominally mattered in MMA until they clarified the rules. It means sweet shit in boxing.

just the same that people are mad that danny jacobs didnt win.

Is there any meaningful outcry in the boxing community that Jacobs was robbed? Because there is a considerable contingent that insists Kovalev/Ward was some travesty.

116-112?

Thought they were both close fights

See thats the argument im hearing the most and I just dont get it.
If its a round that could go either way it absolutely doesnt matter how many of the prior close rounds the winner got.
To me that shows Ward was doing something to edge out or steal the rounds based on the judges subjective scoring style. It kind of shoes consistency in how the judges were scoring those close rounds.
Its no different than having a razor close fight with a wide score. People have problems with that too but its perfectly logical based off of how fights are scored with a silly 10 point must.

Holding the center of the ring nominally mattered in MMA until they clarified the rules. It means sweet shit in boxing.

fight area control still matters in mma and where does it specifically state that it means "sweet shit" in boxing?

http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/unified-rules-of-mma-amended-by-association-of-boxing-commissions/

Lastly “Fight Area Control” is the third tier of criteria and “is only to be assessed if Effective Striking/Grappling and Effective Aggressiveness are 100 percent equal for both competitors.”

See thats the argument im hearing the most and I just dont get it.
If its a round that could go either way it absolutely doesnt matter how many of the prior close rounds the winner got.
To me that shows Ward was doing something to edge out or steal the rounds based on the judges subjective scoring style. It kind of shoes consistency in how the judges were scoring those close rounds.
Its no different than having a razor close fight with a wide score. People have problems with that too but its perfectly logical based off of how fights are scored with a silly 10 point must.

but when ward wins every close round(5-11) that is where i believe kovalev has an argument.

you can concievably give andre every single close round and thats why its not a robbery but a bad decision

fight area control still matters in mma and where does it specifically state that it means "sweet shit" in boxing?

http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/unified-rules-of-mma-amended-by-association-of-boxing-commissions/

Lastly “Fight Area Control” is the third tier of criteria and “is only to be assessed if Effective Striking/Grappling and Effective Aggressiveness are 100 percent equal for both competitors.”

I'll have to look through the rules to see if they use the term "sweet shit". One would think literally no mention of it would reinforce the point. The clarficiation of the rule in MMA makes fight area control essentially meaningless just as the rules clearly state.

I'll have to look through the rules to see if they use the term "sweet shit". One would think literally no mention of it would reinforce the point. The clarficiation of the rule in MMA makes fight area control essentially meaningless just as the rules clearly state.

so because they dont mention "fight area control" that reinforces your theory?

i think that one can make an argument that since they dont mention "fight area control" as not being a criteria then one may subjectively use it since mma rules specifically say that it is used when striking/grappling and effective aggressiveness are equal...which was the case in many of the kovalev/ward rounds

Back