my title fight

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I just won a belt for the IFS show. I wanted to share my experience and what I learned so if anyone is in the same shoes or if it can help anyone out.

I took this fight short notice, and was still partying celebrating my last fight, I was not in good condition/stamina for this fight, I knew I was going to gas out in this fight, and I did. I knew I was going to have to fight smart to make it through. I also got injured the week of the fight, I had a lump on my R shin which was painful but not enough to really feel it in a fight because of all the adrenaline, but in sparring week of the fight I got that lump absolutely smashed, it swelled up, caused pain just to walk, and I knew it was going to hurt very bad in the fight (which it did), I still used it anyways, but not as much as I would like to or could have. But with one weapon basically gone, I still had 7, so I had to adapt to the situation, I couldnt really use my Right leg, I was forced to rely on my boxing which I have been practicing lately. Its hard to do in a fight what we can do at the gym/sparring, not being able to use the R leg forced me to use my boxing, so in essence was a great help, blessing in disguise. My opponent was from sityodtong, a good gym with good fighters and coaches. He had good kicks and I knew this going into the fight. He liked to utilize his left kick alot which I worked on countering prior to the fight. Luckily for me, my boxing is what gave him trouble rather than kicks, once I figured this out I used my hands more in the fight and ended up getting the win via split decision. It was a very close fight and could have went either way. I blocked the majority of his attacks but he outworked me for sure, I landed solid big punches, but less quantity. So what I learned from this fight is how to make it through a fight when your exhausted, and how to utilize my boxing/footwork/head movement, much better than I ever have before, and that even with my leg basically useless, I was still able to take the fight. There are definteley things I could have done better, but coulda woulda shoulda but didnta, so I will just learn from this fight and move onto the next.

Belt.jpg

Heres a picture of my side after the fight, he never landed a solid kick to my ribs, they were all either taken on the arm, or countered, but still the damage was done. I had no idea it looked like this. lol

sore.jpg

Thats great you got the win!

Always learning, always improving! I think you have the right attitude as a fighter.

Thats great you got the win!

Always learning, always improving! I think you have the right attitude as a fighter.

thanks man, yeah muay thai is insane, you can train your entire life and only see the tip of the iceburg.

Awesome that you got the win nice work! How did you find blocking with the right shin if he was left kicking a lot?

Oh shit, a real fighter on Sherdog! :eek:

Don't worry, in a few days time you'll have whitebelts posting that you have no idea about MT or fighting in general and sharing their couch-bred wisdom. ;)

Until then, bask in the glory! BASK IN IT! :D

Nice! Congrats man! Sounds like a rough fight, dat head movement.

Any video of the event by chance?

Awesome that you got the win nice work! How did you find blocking with the right shin if he was left kicking a lot?

I took the kicks on the arm and did the underneath catch. I still used my R leg when I had to, it just hurt to use it.

Oh shit, a real fighter on Sherdog! :eek:

Don't worry, in a few days time you'll have whitebelts posting that you have no idea about MT or fighting in general and sharing their couch-bred wisdom. ;)

Until then, bask in the glory! BASK IN IT! :D

lol thanks, it wouldnt be sherdog without it! lol

Congrats man.

thanks bro!

Nice! Congrats man! Sounds like a rough fight, dat head movement.

Any video of the event by chance?

thanks man....Yes, let me work on editing a small clip, I dont make my full fights, or even much of my clips online/public to prevent people from studying me before a fight.

I
thanks man....Yes, let me work on editing a small clip, I dont make my full fights, or even much of my clips online/public to prevent people from studying me before a fight.
Makes a lot of sense, even though it would be cool to see!

Makes a lot of sense, even though it would be cool to see!

ok you talked me into it, quick clip I put together of me utilizing boxing/footwork/headmovement in the fight.

That has to be one of the roundest belts I have seen in my life

Good stuff @shincheckin . You fight at 147?

Good stuff. How did your body feel after and how does it feel now

Good stuff. How did your body feel after and how does it feel now

Hey @biscuitsbrah !! thanks for asking

My side where I had all the bruising, I actually didnt even know it was there. None of his kicks connected to my ribs, I took them all on the arm and did the underhook counter. The bruising is actually from his toes wrapping around my arm when he kicked. so its pretty much just the top of the skin, looks worse than it really is, still makes cool pics though. Its totally fine though.

R shin: Swollen and sore. It was injured prior to the fight, I still fought with it, didnt think I would be able to use it, but did. Its more swollen now. Everytime I kicked with it, I now think of the saying: this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you lol.

L shin: a little sore from checking kicks

L thigh: a little sore from kicks I didnt manage to check

L side of my head: a little sore, he I am not sure what he hit me with but its a little sore. I think the best shot of the fight he landed on me was a switch into southpaw, R hook.

Despite being injured and gassing out quickly, this was the funnest fight I have had so far. Not being able to use my R leg, FORCED me to utilize other techniques I probably wouldnt have. So I was FORCED to learn and improve. Being tired forced me to fight smart. I am quite happy with this.

check the smile lol
23243998_10215518626705192_593751592570168179_n.jpg

ok you talked me into it, quick clip I put together of me utilizing boxing/footwork/headmovement in the fight.

Looking like Willie Pep in there!

Haha seriously though, congrats, and well done! Looking forward to hearing about your future fights.

Speaking of studying your tapes, I like how you showed all the bad things. Touch gloves and immediately back peddles. Looked like you were running away from him for half the fight. Good knee though. Grats on the win! You are a true fighter. I'd be crying if I have injuries like yours let alone fight in them. shit...you were smiling too. A fucking beast!!!

Hey @biscuitsbrah !! thanks for asking

My side where I had all the bruising, I actually didnt even know it was there. None of his kicks connected to my ribs, I took them all on the arm and did the underhook counter. The bruising is actually from his toes wrapping around my arm when he kicked. so its pretty much just the top of the skin, looks worse than it really is, still makes cool pics though. Its totally fine though.

R shin: Swollen and sore. It was injured prior to the fight, I still fought with it, didnt think I would be able to use it, but did. Its more swollen now. Everytime I kicked with it, I now think of the saying: this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you lol.

L shin: a little sore from checking kicks

L thigh: a little sore from kicks I didnt manage to check

L side of my head: a little sore, he I am not sure what he hit me with but its a little sore. I think the best shot of the fight he landed on me was a switch into southpaw, R hook.

Despite being injured and gassing out quickly, this was the funnest fight I have had so far. Not being able to use my R leg, FORCED me to utilize other techniques I probably wouldnt have. So I was FORCED to learn and improve. Being tired forced me to fight smart. I am quite happy with this.

check the smile lol
View attachment 297505
Ouch man. Take care of that shin.

Were u mentally stressing the days before the fight because you had injuries and knew you were out of shape? Why did you take a fight and not get into prime shape anyway? Wanted that title huh?

Ouch man. Take care of that shin.

Were u mentally stressing the days before the fight because you had injuries and knew you were out of shape? Why did you take a fight and not get into prime shape anyway? Wanted that title huh?

Yeah, I wanted the belt. not much mental stress, as I was confident that I could beat him. I knew I was going to get fatigued and the plan was to fight smart to combat the fatigue. The injury was unplanned, so the only thing I had to worry about was the fatigue originally. The injury happened the week of the fight, I didnt want to pull out. And just figured that I wouldnt be able to use my R leg in the fight, and to strategize around that. Not being able to kick forced me to use my boxing. Being fatigued forced me to be use my footwork and be elusive. These are things I generally dont rely on in my fights. But now that I have used them in a fight, I will be able to use them next time around. So I will be that much better and well rounded. This is a major improvement for me that Im quite happy about. I truly relied on technique, tricks, and strategy to make it through. I wont be fatigued for my next fight though!

for the mental aspects of fighting. I find Cus D'Amato a great help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back