My thoughts on TJ vs Henry Cejudo

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Interesting matchup. I wonder how Henry looks at 135. Even his wrestling career was at 121 lbs, but I know he has a tough weight cut. Never really seen TJ against too many dominant wrestlers, wont count Asuncao as one.

MMA wrestling is different than straight up wrestling.

I think TJ is far too well rounded for Cejudo... Cejudo's takedown threat won't be a factor in this fight like it was in the Mighty Mouse fight, since TJ is a high level wrestler himself.

TJ is actually leaps and bounds ahead of Mighty Mouse, which is why Mighty was ducking him so hard. He knows. BJJ might be the only area where DJ is better than TJ.

TJ has better striking and a D1 wrestling background, plus a solid grappling game. I think he's gonna light Cejudo up with ease and knock him out.

It's at 125 not 135. TJ will have a tough weight cut. Hoping Cejudo wins but it will be a tough fight.

MMA wrestling is different than straight up wrestling.

I think TJ is far too well rounded for Cejudo... Cejudo's takedown threat won't be a factor in this fight like it was in the Mighty Mouse fight, since TJ is a high level wrestler himself.

TJ is actually leaps and bounds ahead of Mighty Mouse, which is why Mighty was ducking him so hard. He knows. BJJ might be the only area where DJ is better than TJ.

TJ has better striking and a D1 wrestling background, plus a solid grappling game. I think he's gonna light Cejudo up with ease and knock him out.

is TJ really a High Level Wrestler? He wrestled in high school, that's about it; similar to DJ. I think DJ was actually better. Tj doesn't really do much with his top game, but he has good takedowns.

I think his movement will be a problem for Henry but its not an easy fight at all. Tougher matchup than DJ IMO

is TJ really a High Level Wrestler? He wrestled in high school, that's about it; similar to DJ. I think DJ was actually better. Tj doesn't really do much with his top game, but he has good takedowns.

I think his movement will be a problem for Henry but its not an easy fight at all. Tougher matchup than DJ IMO

What?

TJ is a D1 wrestler... That's the highest level before the Olympics.

His style when he first came into the UFC was purely takedown & GNP.

DJ has no real wrestling credentials at all.

IMO TJ is the most complete fighter in the UFC, and has been P4P #1 since he destroyed Renan Barao.

giphy.gif

I think tj lights him up on the feet while stuffing desperate takedown attempts.

Cejudo is going to get lit up like a christmas tree. He's actually really hit-able, which is a horrible thing to be against a guy like TJ.

What?

His style when he first came into the UFC was purely takedown & GNP.

DJ has no real wrestling credentials at all.

IMO TJ is the most complete fighter in the UFC, and has been P4P #1 since he destroyed Renan Barao.

There's actual wrestling then there's MMA wrestling. TJ is honestly more versed in MMA wrestling than Cejudo.

If the weight cut goes well for TJ, this fight is gonna be sooooo bad for Cejudo..

Agree with most here... I think TJ is on his way to being a P4P great. I see him having no issue with Cejudo. Could see him finishing in the first 2-3 rounds.

TJ's wrestling is solid, his striking has become great, and supposedly his BJJ is getting really sharp (he talked about this on the JRE podcast a month or two back), though he hasn't had a chance to use it because no one has taken him down. Maybe we'll see that against Cejudo, but I don't see how Cejudo wins.

Interesting matchup. I wonder how Henry looks at 135. Even his wrestling career was at 121 lbs, but I know he has a tough weight cut. Never really seen TJ against too many dominant wrestlers, wont count Asuncao as one.

The fight will be at 125.

Edit: Did not see the earlier replies.

No. It isn't.

D1
D1 NCCA invite (TJ)
D1 NCAA champ
D1 All American Team
Olympic Alternate
Olympian
Olympic Champion (Henry)

That being said, I think TJ takes this. He should take it, he's significantly bigger than Henry, and his game features reach more than Henry's does.
TJ is a strong, well rounded fighter; but it's pretty pathetic that he's looking to face much smaller fighters in order to make his mark. Beating smaller guys--regardless if they are a champ or not--should do absolutely nothing for p4p ranking.
Personally, I think superfights are stupid in general...but this is the most stupid of all of them. To me, this is as weak as McGregor putting the entire division on hold to run it back against Diaz. At best, it's an accomplishment that only matters to one fighter's fans, at the expense of two divisions and the integrity of the sport.

Interesting element is TJ's kicks. They're a key part of his striking, but super dangerous against a guy like Cejudo. Think TJ still takes it, but might be an interesting one.

I don't give a shit about this fight. TJ should fight Moraes or Asuncao instead of looking for this pointless crap. Hell, even TJ-Cruz would be a more compelling fight than this one.

Only way to make this remotely interesting is if they somehow make a stipulation that if Cejudo wins, the 125 lbs stays in the UFC. At least there'd be something at stake.

Based on what? If Cruz can outwork TJ, DJ probably could too.

No. It isn't.

D1
D1 NCCA invite (TJ)
D1 NCAA champ
D1 All American Team
Olympic Alternate
Olympian
Olympic Champion (Henry)

That being said, I think TJ takes this. He should take it, he's significantly bigger than Henry, and his game features reach more than Henry's does.
TJ is a strong, well rounded fighter; but it's pretty pathetic that he's looking to face much smaller fighters in order to make his mark. Beating smaller guys--regardless if they are a champ or not--should do absolutely nothing for p4p ranking.
Personally, I think superfights are stupid in general...but this is the most stupid of all of them. To me, this is as weak as McGregor putting the entire division on hold to run it back against Diaz. At best, it's an accomplishment that only matters to one fighter's fans, at the expense of two divisions and the integrity of the sport.
My opinion is that if both competitors can make a weight, then its a fair fight

My opinion is that if both competitors can make a weight, then its a fair fight
yes, but that fair fight doesn't have shit to do with pound for pound.
bigger fighters are supposed to beat smaller fighters. it's not a test of skill, which is what pound for pound is supposed to discuss.

Based on what? If Cruz can outwork TJ, DJ probably could too.

1. MMAth doesn't work.

2. Even if you want to use MMAth, TJ and Dominick had a very competitive razor thin split decision fight while Dominick wrecked DJ with ease.

I don't give a shit about this fight. TJ should fight Moraes or Asuncao instead of looking for this pointless crap. Hell, even TJ-Cruz would be a more compelling fight than this one.

Only way to make this remotely interesting is if they somehow make a stipulation that if Cejudo wins, the 125 lbs stays in the UFC. At least there'd be something at stake.

If they are going to merge the divisions, the 2 champions are going to have to fight each other anyway. Before any contenders challenge for the belt, the belts need to be unified.

I really don't understand why people are crying about this fight so much.

In order to merge the divisions, the champions have to fight. There really is no other fight to make.

Back