My theory about bigfoot.

• Thread starter Deleted member 457759
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 457759

I've been thinking about this for a while and I wanted to pitch my not so well thought out theory of how the bigfoot myth came to North America and although I don't believe in the existence of bigfoot, I believe it's origins come from something real.

As recently as 100,000 years ago an ape now known as gigantopithicus lived in Asia roughly around the same time humans migrated there. These times are estimated, and as most history buffs have been learning lately early migrations of humans and civilizations are constantly being pushed further back in time.

Some of you may have read about early American Indian accounts of bigfoot particularly in the rockies.
http://www.bfro.net/legends/

These stories were passed down through the ages long before Columbus or any Europeans set foot on North American soil. These indigenous people are believed to have crossed the land bridge from Asia.

I believe that current bigfoot legends are real stories from humans in Asia that shared habitat with this great ape, passed the stories down generation to generation and brought it over to north America and pollenated the European settler culture.

Discuss.

Here's my theory which has the benefit of simplicity:
Observation: People are dimwitted and not very careful observers.

Conclusion: Bigfoot doesn't exist

Here's my theory which has the benefit of simplicity:
Observation: People are dimwitted and not very careful observers.

Conclusion: Bigfoot doesn't exist

I agree that explains today's believers. But why did indigenous people believe the same legend?

I agree that explains today's believers. But why did indigenous people believe the same legend?
Same basic idea.
Also in the mix is an element of the fantasist in us all, the desire to see something unusual. But it's mostly ordinary things being mistaken, seen without clarity at distance, in poor lighting conditions, etc.

Although it could all turn out to be true...

Same basic idea.
Also in the mix is an element of the fantasist in us all, the desire to see something unusual. But it's mostly ordinary things being mistaken, seen without clarity at distance, in poor lighting conditions, etc.

Although it could all turn out to be true...

Sure. But I don't think indigenous people would make the kinds of mistakes we would. They were largely hunter gatherers who were very familiar with their environment and the fauna. North America was an incredibly dangerous place and grizzly bears reached all the way down to California before they were killed off by European settlers. Natives would have been very familiar with Grizzlies and i think they're the only candidate for mistakening for bigfoot. I agree that many "sitings" by modern north Americans are likely bears, but I don't buy that the natives were that easily fooled, there was simply way too much on the line foer them to make those kinds of mistakes.

Sure. But I don't think indigenous people would make the kinds of mistakes we would. They were largely hunter gatherers who were very familiar with their environment and the fauna. North America was an incredibly dangerous place and grizzly bears reached all the way down to California before they were killed off by European settlers. Natives would have been very familiar with Grizzlies and i think they're the only candidate for mistakening for bigfoot. I agree that many "sitings" by modern north Americans are likely bears, but I don't buy that the natives were that easily fooled, there was simply way too much on the line foer them to make those kinds of mistakes.
Well, your argument as encapsulated in your first sentence there relies heavily on a rather rosy assumption about the abilities of native Americans when it's a natural thing that people all over the world throughout history have been easily fooled by a tendency to poor observation.
If we're to use assumptions, though, as man has encroached on their presumptive habitats, we would have an increasing likelihood of running across at least some proof that they exist as opposed to relying on records of old claims.

Bigfoot was a hoax.

- Planet of the Apes was filmed in 1967, the same year the Bigfoot photo was released. Coincidence?
After post production and editing, Planet of the Apes was later released in theaters in 1968.

- Look up images for Ghillie suit
People claiming to have seen Bigfoot recently have a Sniper in their backyard.

Not sure this is really a good argument for anything... many indigenous people believe in the Thunderbird as well, all the while worshiping tress and "ancient spirits."

I also think you're overestimating the early human's capacity for both oral history and memory retention. Without any real form of writing or known language (you're talking about 100,000 ago) there is no way for any legend to be passed down.

Not sure this is really a good argument for anything... many indigenous people believe in the Thunderbird as well, all the while worshiping tress and "ancient spirits."

I also think you're overestimating the early human's capacity for both oral history and memory retention. Without any real form of writing or known language (you're talking about 100,000 ago) there is no way for any legend to be passed down.
It's a form of argument from authority.
Which is fine if you're citing a person who's achieved recognition in their field...

Wouldn't it be plauible for them to pass down a story and only have it altered and not completely forgotten?

Bigfoot was a hoax.

- Planet of the Apes was filmed in 1967, the same year the Bigfoot photo was released. Coincidence?
After post production and editing, Planet of the Apes was later released in theaters in 1968.

- Look up images for Ghillie suit
People claiming to have seen Bigfoot recently have a Sniper in their backyard.

I've never heard of that explanation, I like it.

Wouldn't it be plauible for them to pass down a story and only have it altered and not completely forgotten?
Certainly.
That's the essence of oral tradition.

I once read a sci fi novel where a tribe of indigenous people were a key story element, and details of ancient tales become vital.
"We recall our stories with clarity. Details may be lost, but we do not add fiction." says one character significantly.

But of course that's idealized.

Certainly.
That's the essence of oral tradition.

I once read a sci fi novel where a tribe of indigenous people were a key story element, and details of ancient tales become vital.
"We recall our stories with clarity. Details may be lost, but we do not add fiction." says one character significantly.

But of course that's idealized.

Well there you have it, that's the essence of my theory. Again I'm just shooting the shit here with an idea I've had for a while, I'm opened minded to it being incorrect. i think given the scarcity of evidence I wouldn't be surprised if the Gigantopithicus lived up until a few tens of thousands of years ago, and humans possibly shared habitat with them more recently. If they did at all. It makes sense to me that a Giant urangutan walking on it's fists would evolve into a bipedal humanoid through oral tradition.

Native Americans believed in dragons (or dragon like) creatures, so....

Well there you have it, that's the essence of my theory. Again I'm just shooting the shit here with an idea I've had for a while, I'm opened minded to it being incorrect. i think given the scarcity of evidence I wouldn't be surprised if the Gigantopithicus lived up until a few tens of thousands of years ago, and humans possibly shared habitat with them more recently. If they did at all. It makes sense to me that a Giant urangutan walking on it's fists would evolve into a bipedal humanoid through oral tradition.
Well, people were shocked as shit when a coelacanth turned up, right?

That's an animal that was known to exist, but still. I don't discount that it could happen.

How do you pass down a story without any standardized language (either oral or written) ? Unless you can provide some evidence that people from 100,000 had some kind of written and oral language then no, I don't think it's plausible for them to be capable of passing down legends.

Well, people were shocked as shit when a coelacanth turned up, right?

That's an animal that was known to exist, but still. I don't discount that it could happen.

I'm a lot more skeptical of bigfoot slipping throught he cracks like the coelacanth because the Bigfoot is thought to share habitat with the Grizzly. Grizzlies smell as good as blood hounds and I don't believe for a second these two wouldn't cross paths and we'd see evidence of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back