my ribs went *POP*

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotten apple

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
um i tried posting this in the other thread i found in the search that was posted about 6 months ago but people are answering the original quetion instead so..

I was rolling today and and while i was trying to secure an armbar facing the ground my partner quickly threw my legs to the side and tried to stack me (i think...i dont remember exactly what happened...anyways..) after he did that i heard a loud POP sound comming from my rib cage area. After i heard it i grimaced in pain, even though i actually wasnt feeling anything, it was more of me waiting to feel it since i heard something crack i automatically thought that i broke/cracked my rib.

but till now i can breath normal and i dont feel any pain except when i push down on the part that poped...

does anyone know what might have caused that poping sound? im thinking a ligament..if so what do you guys recomend? should i just roll lightly the next couple of days or would it be safer if i took maybe a week off? i just dont want to make it worst, but at the same time i dont want to waste any time not training...

any suggestions would be apprciated.thanks.

didn't i meet you in the las vegas airport?

If you are really that concerned see a doctor. It is better to be safe than sorry so if you think it is serious then head to a doctor or hospital and have in checked out.

the exact same thing happened to me but with a triangle, and I was out for a week; however, i did go to the dr and have my rip popped back into place that night, which may have aided my recovery.

the bitch is that it still hurts from time to time, but nothing like those first 2 days.

possible torn cartilage causing the rib to pop out.

pretty common thing to happen, itll hurt to push in for awhile, then itll go back to normal. get it checked out if your worried

I've had the same thing happen to me, no paid except when you push on it. Just take it easy for a few days and try not to put pressure on it. Mine took about 3 1/2 weeks to heal but I was rolling everyday and bumping it all the time, I'm sure if you laid off of it it'd heal faster.

Happened to me...popped cartilage I think. Hurt for about a week, and now one rib stick out more than the rest.

welcome to the club!!!i've got three separate areas of bones protruding on my ribcage!!!where i train they call it;jiujitsu ribs...

I had that happen to me once. I was transitioning from side control to NS and for some reason a rib popped. It hurt to breathe for a couple of weeks but I guess my body just healed itself?!?

um i tried posting this in the other thread i found in the search that was posted about 6 months ago but people are answering the original quetion instead so..

I was rolling today and and while i was trying to secure an armbar facing the ground my partner quickly threw my legs to the side and tried to stack me (i think...i dont remember exactly what happened...anyways..) after he did that i heard a loud POP sound comming from my rib cage area. After i heard it i grimaced in pain, even though i actually wasnt feeling anything, it was more of me waiting to feel it since i heard something crack i automatically thought that i broke/cracked my rib.

but till now i can breath normal and i dont feel any pain except when i push down on the part that poped...

does anyone know what might have caused that poping sound? im thinking a ligament..if so what do you guys recomend? should i just roll lightly the next couple of days or would it be safer if i took maybe a week off? i just dont want to make it worst, but at the same time i dont want to waste any time not training...

any suggestions would be apprciated.thanks.

do you train at tecumseh martials arts?

I had this guy in my gward, he stood up - poorly. I tried to hook his leg and he dropped his weight and knee onto the left side of my chest - poppedy pop pop pop - went my ribs and he passed my gward!

Now they werent broken but the did hurt and it was righ on the end of the ribs where the cage meets my six pack (and a layer of fat!!!) I was ok to breath but when scrunched up or when pressure was put on - they did hurt. 4 weeks of imbruprofen and defending the injury and its all better - only now its happened on the other side - no need to stop training just have to let people get passed my gward and then try to improve that position. Practicing a different game! thats all

well my ribs dont hurt when i breath just when i sniff and put some pressure on that side...so i guess its a normal occurence huh? probably just some torn cartlidge, i might just take a couple days off rolling and just practice some techniques...

does anyone know if it can get worst if i dont treat it carefully?
thanks for the replies
peace

I recently messed up some rib cartilage. It will take more than a couple days if you really did tear cartilage. That tissue heals very slowly. I would guess more like two weeks.

I did something similiar, rolled after a couple days and made it much worse. It was three weeks before I felt really good again.

I have a similar problem except mine keep breaking. It's like the bones are weaker than the cartilidge and muscle. A break takes 5 to 6 weeks to heal if you stop rolling.

I recently messed up some rib cartilage. It will take more than a couple days if you really did tear cartilage. That tissue heals very slowly. I would guess more like two weeks.

I did something similiar, rolled after a couple days and made it much worse. It was three weeks before I felt really good again.

I had a similar situation where I had pain in my lower back ribs that I got the day after a BJJ class. For me, the pain went away after a day, and I went right back to rolling for two days in a row. I felt fine, took the weekend off (did absolutely NOTHING physical except some stretching) and on Monday my back was a lot worse than before. The pain is going away (after a few days), but there has gradually been a bump developing on my back ribs.

How long after the pain goes away should I not go to BJJ? Can I do ANY exercises during this time off? I don't want to completely get out of shape during this time. I feel like weights are out of the question (because this will atleast put a little stress on my back). Running might jar my back, and stretching might pull my back (as I suspect it did this weekend).

Any suggestions?

I had a similar situation where I had pain in my lower back ribs that I got the day after a BJJ class. For me, the pain went away after a day, and I went right back to rolling for two days in a row. I felt fine, took the weekend off (did absolutely NOTHING physical except some stretching) and on Monday my back was a lot worse than before. The pain is going away (after a few days), but there has gradually been a bump developing on my back ribs.

How long after the pain goes away should I not go to BJJ? Can I do ANY exercises during this time off? I don't want to completely get out of shape during this time. I feel like weights are out of the question (because this will atleast put a little stress on my back). Running might jar my back, and stretching might pull my back (as I suspect it did this weekend).

Any suggestions?

Anybody? Anybody? How long should I wait to start going back to BJJ after my bruised rib pain is completely gone? I don't want to go back early and re-injure myself. I realize it's different for different people, but I just want a ballpark figure (or someone else's previous experience).

EDIT: Also, what kind of exercises can I safely do while I'm resting? Running, stretching, bodyweight squats/lunges, ...

You tore the intra costular cartilage which connects your ribs to your sternum. Smae thing happend to me. Youll be out for 2 weeks to a month.

You tore the intra costular cartilage which connects your ribs to your sternum. Smae thing happend to me. Youll be out for 2 weeks to a month.

NOOOOOO!! Did you train at all during that time? Weights, cardio, stretching, anything? I definitely don't want to re-injure myself, but it's going to be hard to sit still for 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back