My rear cross sucks in sparring..

So, this is a question on the rear hand (since this thread is about the rear hand and I don't want to clog up the forum making the new one) that doesn't directly apply to Frode, but it could be useful for him.

Does the right hand (or left, in my case, since I'm a southpaw) involve powerfully extending the rear hip? I've been looking at examples of triple extension, which involves extending the ankle, the knee, and the hip, preferably in that sequence, to maximise power output. Trying it in shadow (although I'm just a dilettante and a hobbyist) feels powerful, but I'm not currently at a gym due to health issues and I'm curious.

Because my flexibility and joints aren't great, when I do it, I feel a stretch in my hips when I try to throw the punch this way. As said, it feels powerful, but I'm only a dilettante and my approach is very analytical and based on logical suppositions and cross-referencing - I looked at hip extension in punching by looking at baseball pitching, actually. I'm aware that boxing is boxing and baseball is baseball, but I like looking at common movements between sports, especially ones that involve power generation.

@Reyesnuthugr your post on the first page was full of great advise, so I suppose that my question is directed at you, but anyone else who can help - a guy, if he sees it, for example, or Sano, etc, would be much appreciated.

Good mention. The hip movement works the EXACT same in baseball as with the right/rearhand in boxing. You keep that rear hip sat-on and folded (also the front hip will be bent instead of kept straight) , and then you unfold it suddenly and that's where the power comes from. I think that throwing in baseball actually helped codify and refine the proper right hand in boxing. Sports of certain eras bleed into each other sometimes. Similar to how the best kickers in MMA usually come from soccer backgrounds.

*Don't unfold the front hip, just the rear hip when throwing the rear hand. This takes practice/ strengthening and getting used to.

As mentioned before, it wont work if you're not putting the weight on that leg/hip before and during the execution of the punch. So if someone is standing on their front foot or doesn't have the weight shifted to their back leg when throwing the back punch, it doesn't transfer correctly (makes sense, right?)

Getting the whole body timing right is important. Starting slower than full speed is a must when practicing. Watch the pros, the elite-- they don't practice at 100% power or intensity. Beginners have to start even slower, but it's worth it and you can speed up bit by bit over several weeks, that's not very long. Get the timing down, don't start a speed contest with yourself while trying to learn the mechanics (you can do that AFTER you've got it polished, but not while still learning it-- no one listens to this part and that's why so many of them are awful even after years and years of training)

You don't have to go moon-footage slow. Just go as slowly as you need to in order to be in complete or near complete control of your entire body. Also be as slow as needed to be able to monitor yourself and make adjustments. If something FEELS wrong, then it is wrong and needs adjustment (a very important part of practice). If something isn't working right (the outcome is not what you want), then something is not being done right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back