My journey to become a professional fighter

LISS

-55 minute swim.

Muay Thai

-It's my birthday today so I skipped this, had a big dinner with friends and family then went out, everything went really well.

________________________________________ _______________________________

Sleep: 8 hours
BW: 83.9kg
3 sets of COC#1.5: COMPLETE
5 sets of 8 chin-ups: COMPLETE
Recovery workout: INCOMPLETE
Diet: INCOMPLETE (for dinner went out to my favorite Restaurant with friends and family and had french fries and steak with an amazing sauce, also the restaurant people offered me a free shot and I thought it nice of them so I had it)

Throws, jumps

-Overhead backwards throw 4 x 3 (did 1 more set because one of them got interrupted by my mum yelling at me about throwing the ball to the balcony lol)
-Box jumps onto ~95cm box 5 x 3

5-3-1 Cycle 14 Week 2

-Deadlift 1 x 5 x 62.5kg
1 x 5 x 82.5kg
1 x 3 x 97.5kg
1 x 3 x 112.5kg
1 x 3 x 127.5kg
1 x 10 x 142.5kg (PR) (my DL is feeling awesome lately, my technique isn't breaking down and I'm finally gonna be able to start pulling the weights I could pull 8 months ago (with terrible technique)).
-Military press 1 x 5 x 25kg
1 x 5 x 30kg
1 x 3 x 37.5kg
1 x 3 x 42.5kg
1 x 3 x 47.5kg
1 x 5 x 55kg
-High-bar squat 1 x 5 x 55kg
1 x 5 x 70kg
1 x 5 x 82.5kg
-CGBP 1 x 8 x 60kg
1 x 8 x 70kg
1 x 6 x 80kg
-Weighted planks 1 x 60sec x BW+15kg
1 x 60sec x BW+20kg
1 x 60sec x BW+25kg (wanted to do more sets/time but ran out of time)

Muay Thai

-No time for this.

New cycle training maxes (re-starting very light with everything):

Sleep: 8 hours
BW: ?
Diet: INCOMPLETE

-It's my birthday today so I skipped this, had a big dinner with friends and family then went out, everything went really well.

Smash an easy, drunk, English broads? If not, then did it really go well?

LISS

-Already swam on Thursday.

Jiu Jitsu

-Free-rolling session. 2 hours. Did maybe 10 6 minute rolls, tapped all white belts I went to except one. Went with purple/brown that used to own me and held my own really well, I've improved a lot in 3 months and this has really solidified my confidence in my coaches in the UK.

Sleep: 10 hours (very interrupted, constant dreams and waking up, been sleeping very badly lately in general)
BW: ?
Diet: INCOMPLETE

Sounds like operation domination is going well. Happy late birthday too.

Smash an easy, drunk, English broads? If not, then did it really go well?

No sir, sadly drunk sex is not a tradition in Portugal. In fact, sex in general seems to be regarded as something married women use on their rich husbands to bargain for jewelery/clothes.

Sounds like operation domination is going well. Happy late birthday too.

Operation domination? I like it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've had a bit of a tough week and really wanted some advice from you guys as I feel you're the only ones who will understand lol. I really don't mean to come across whiny, and those who follow this log will know that is not really my style. I just really need some advice, as I feel I'm losing perspective on this. This is not going to be well-written, as it's just a collection of my incoherent thoughts on the matter, hopefully some of you can make sense of it.

Basically, I got sick for 3 days after christmas with a nasty virus and a high temperature, I didn't train for this time and then didn't feel like coming back to training afterwards, but I did anyway. And now that it's my 1 year logiversary tomorrow, I guess it's a good time for a summary. In the last year of training, I have followed 5-3-1 for strength training the entire time (completing 14 cycles), I have missed 3 planned work-outs, I have missed less than 10 meals, eating the same exact thing everyday (whenever I had to go somewhere I would pack meals). I have drank alcohol once. I have had less than 8 hours of sleep less than 10 times, and in most of those times I have caught up the next day.I have done extensive research in order to realize the best way to reach my goals. I have made detailed plans based on this research and stuck to them to a T. I have pretty much achieved the fitness and strength/sport-specific goals I wanted, and I am much further along than I planned to be at this point. And yet with all this I am not really happy often, I realized some time during this year that I didn't want to be a professional fighter (to just fight for a living), and many times I feel chained by this discipline, and I often don't know if I'm resisting the temptation to skip training and watch series, or to go out and drink, or if I'm just domesticated by routine. I think of vacations/trips but immediately think of how much training I'd miss and how far behind it'd set me. If I skip training to do something else, either I don't enjoy that other thing because I'm feeling guilty, or I enjoy it but feel guilty afterwards. I'm not sure if I should just try to be more balanced, and not put so much emphasis on training, but I find it hard to do something half-assed, as I feel like either I do it to the best of my ability or I don't at all. Bear in mind I'm pretty organized with training and do manage to fit in hanging out a fair bit with friends/study/chill on the internet, but it just doesn't seem the same when it has to be fit in in between a pre-set schedule, nothing is spontaneous or spur of the moment.

I don't really know what else to add, but I'll definitely think of more stuff and will edit when I do. Just wondering if any of you guys, specifically you guys who do something competetively or just take training seriously would comment something, even if it's I've never felt like that before.

I might just be a whiny bitch on my period, and maybe I'll come back a year from now and laugh at this like I did that other terrible post I made, but right now I feel like the best thing would be to take some time off and come back slower and less rigidly.

I occasionally feel the way that you described. I think everyone does at least some of the time. Ultimately it's good to question what you are doing and why, and whether it is worth it.

Everyone needs a holiday at some point. Nothing wrong taking some time off. I'm sure Cain Velasquez is about to enjoy a nice holiday!

I occasionally feel the way that you described. I think everyone does at least some of the time. Ultimately it's good to question what you are doing and why, and whether it is worth it.

Everyone needs a holiday at some point. Nothing wrong taking some time off. I'm sure Cain Velasquez is about to enjoy a nice holiday!

This. Nothing like some time off to relax and re-evaluate your training / life in general.
It really depends what motivates you.

For example, what motivates me now is being able to support my family and give them the best quality of life I can. As the sole income in my household, that meant having to re-evaluate a few things.

Before my son was born, I was training Muay Thai 3 times a week, Submission Grappling / MMA 1-2 times a week, plus "regular" gym work. My training costs each month were over

Ultimately it's good to question what you are doing and why, and whether it is worth it.

This. If I don't train, I often miss training. It's during those times I realize my desire to still train at a high intensity / frequency.

I have certainly tempered some of my goals due to life demands. I used to think I wanted to compete in MMA; now I'm not sure, as I can't really afford to get injured career-wise, and don't want to sustain any unnecessary injuries due to the psychological and physiological impact it would have.

I am starting a new job soon, and the new job won't prevent me from competition. So I do plan on taking some boxing matches, and have selected several grappling competitions I plan on competing in. I hope these things might satiate my competitive appetite, and help me decide if I really want to continue training at a high level of intensity/frequency in hopes of competing at a high level.

I don't want to give you the cliche "you only have one life to live," but there is some truth to the sentiment. I think it's important to live your life the way you want to; it's just difficult to find out what way that is. If you're unhappy, maybe you should try to find what makes you happy. It's a personal journey and needs a very personalized answer, though, and I don't think anyone one here can answer it for you.

Fight. You need to take a fight and it will either restart your fire for training or you will realize that you don't enjoy it like you thought you would and there might be less of a point to continue training the way you have been.

The sentiment around here that someone should train for a year minimum before taking an ametuer fight is not something I've ever agreed with. It's an amatuer fight. It's really not that big of a deal. It lets you know if you are good enought to go pro or not, and there is no time frame that you have to work around. If you do well and want to take a fight again soon then you can, and if you see alot of stuff that you need to work on and want to wait a while before stepping in the cage again then that's fine too.

The gym I used to train at used to recommend about 15 amatuer fights before going pro. Your record didn't matter because it was about learning. Your going to get punched in the face and if that bothers you then this isn't for you, but that is the worst that will happen. A loss does not matter. It's ammy. Do it.

Edit: Having your entire life based around training and prepping for something that you never compete in is enough to drive anyone crazy.

Back