My gym doesn't train the stand up game and I'll be competing in December

The White Mamba

"Cold Stone Steve Austin" - Mike Goldberg
@Blue
Reaction score
Title says it all. This will be my first competition in December and by then I will have about 5 months of training under my (white) belt. I don't care if I win or lose but I obviously want to be competitive. Problem is my gym doesn't focus much on the stand up game. I feel comfortable on the ground but should I give myself some more time to round out my game, primarily on the feet?

Pull guard.

Then start training takedowns after class with guys at your gym with wrestling or judo experience. I guarantee there’s at least a couple.

What ever you do don't burn your self out standing. I see so many guys spending 5 minutes pushing and pulling not doing what they actually know how to do. Think of a simple take down that if you miss it you can immediately pull guard. Then play your game.

What ever you do don't burn your self out standing. I see so many guys spending 5 minutes pushing and pulling not doing what they actually know how to do. Think of a simple take down that if you miss it you can immediately pull guard. Then play your game.
A thousand times this. Most white belt matches are won by the person who gasses last, so don't waste energy doing things you're not competent in.

A basic entry that works at all levels is to just shoot a double leg as soon as you're in touching range, then site back to guard as soon as you meet resistance.

Most white belts pass guard here than they play guard.

I might learn to grip fight and get low. You can learn the techniques in two days you just need to practice some. It's hard to get taken down if you have their grips and sprawling is easy enough. If they don't pull first then you can pull.

Else pull closed guard and hold on for drag live.

But IMO guard is generally a losing strategy for white belts, especially open guard.

Try a snap down - which will be easier as you are allowed to double collar tie iirc - to a front head lock, get them to their knees and spin around to their back.

You have time.

Pick two takedowns and just focus on those until December.

Pull guard is really the right answer, if you are comfortable with your guard. This way you will be able to pick your position and you won't spend all your time doing something you aren't familiar with. Stand up can be a lot more exhausting than ground work, especially if you are not used to it.

Then start to work your stand up during open mats after the competition.

Title says it all. This will be my first competition in December and by then I will have about 5 months of training under my (white) belt. I don't care if I win or lose but I obviously want to be competitive. Problem is my gym doesn't focus much on the stand up game. I feel comfortable on the ground but should I give myself some more time to round out my game, primarily on the feet?

Just your gym not train takedowns at all or do you not make it to the takedown classes? Most gyms have atleast one night a week devoted to wrestling or similar.
I find it hard to believe you don't even drill them occasionally in a warmup or start from the feet in sparring once or twice.

As above chat to your coach and ask them to teach you two complimentary takedowns and drill those early before every practice.
If you have enough mat room you can also focus on getting up to your feet and work your standup game in rolling for a couple weeks.
I like to combine the snapdown, duck under and bodylock and single leg. I barely ever wrestle, but I can usually get these in sparring against people of my level.

My gym does takedowns I just can't make it very often to that specific class even though it's my favourite.

Start on your knees like you do in class and just pretend you are going against a really tall guy.

Just your gym not train takedowns at all or do you not make it to the takedown classes? Most gyms have atleast one night a week devoted to wrestling or similar.
I find it hard to believe you don't even drill them occasionally in a warmup or start from the feet in sparring once or twice.

As above chat to your coach and ask them to teach you two complimentary takedowns and drill those early before every practice.
If you have enough mat room you can also focus on getting up to your feet and work your standup game in rolling for a couple weeks.
I like to combine the snapdown, duck under and bodylock and single leg. I barely ever wrestle, but I can usually get these in sparring against people of my level.

My gym does takedowns I just can't make it very often to that specific class even though it's my favourite.
We don't practice standing whatsoever. I've been there for a little over 4 months now and we haven't drilled any take downs. We've drilled sweeps where are opponents are standing but nothing where both of us are standing.

We don't practice standing whatsoever. I've been there for a little over 4 months now and we haven't drilled any take downs. We've drilled sweeps where are opponents are standing but nothing where both of us are standing.

Do you go to every single class available? That is different... Though if you have only trained for 4 months maybe they wait to teach takedowns.
I would ask the coaches as at least guard pulling needs to be taught before a comp.
They don't run a separate wrestling, judo or mma class at all? Do the higher belts learn take downs?

I find it weird you haven't even learnt a single or double and have never started standing.

It's crazy that they don't show you anything and that you never start standing

I don't consider my gym as being heavy on standup, even far from it

We start almost every rounds standing (the only ones we doesn't do are some rounds in positional sparring)

We have about 2 takedowns in the techniques a week that we drill for 2-3 minutes

But zero like you're talking about just seems crazy for me

Focus on sweeps. Pull guard. Sweep. Win.

I usually tell white belts to wait 30 seconds or so before pulling guard, because there's a chance your opponent will be nervous and wind up taking a sloppy shot that you can easily sprawl on and then take his back or whatever.

Quit and find a gym that does work the stand up game. The number 1 reason you should do this? Because like Faras zahabi(however the hell you spell his name) said, its fun. As deep as the techniques on the ground go, it goes just as deep for standing techniques and if you can find a decent coach to teach you some stuff, you are going to have a great time.

The number 2 reason, a lot of grapplers don't train that side. If you come out at a match and blast double someone right off the bat, you just took control and set the tone for that match.

I think you should find a way to train in at least some take downs. There are judo and wrestling clubs out there.

It's not only good for grappling, but good for self-defense generally.

Train two or three take down chains, set ups that play off reactions.

I love guard. I pull guard almost exclusively in class. When I compete though, I try for take downs....at least for a while (long enough to feel if they are vulnerable or if I am). It's better to start on top in competitions (and self-defense).

Back