My Grandfather made me look very poor during a small family reunion :(

I think the bigger issue is being missed here. What was the tip?

We did a Cape Breton thing where everyone throws money in the middle of the table, I think everyone threw in fives - so that waitress made out good that night

I see!!!!!!!

I dunno - he is military like and we come from a family of good genes and longevity. Hes in great shape and has a jim in his basement - still jogs. Puts ketchup on everything including omelets and fish

It's what works for him, everyone is different - nobody knows why people live long

Make a joke about erectile dysfunction to set his old ass straight.

If that doesn't work old people are prone to sucker punches. Just World Star his ass when you are leaving the restaurant to assert your dominance.

Should have taken that old fart to suplex city. But knowing you, he would have kicked your ass.

I dunno - he is military like and we come from a family of good genes and longevity. Hes in great shape and has a jim in his basement - still jogs. Puts ketchup on everything including omelets and fish

It's what works for him, everyone is different - nobody knows why people live long

Oh yeah I wonder about his bowel movements looks like I am going to lose HARD!

What an odd way to make things awkward by offering to pay for only the women? This is basically a family gathering right? So he was paying for people’s wive’s bills and the men pay for themself? Not an alpha thing, just weird.

Unless 84 year old gramps is loaded, everyone should insist on paying for their meals, a couple of the youngins split the bill, or someone grab the whole tab.

Did you tell him you feel better b/c you eat a banana everyday?

My 84 year old Grandfather had his 75 year old cousins come down and another friend of the family - plus others, my aunt etc - 12 of us I think

Went to a nice restaurant -- My Grandfather organized this gathering and felt like he should pay for the women's meals/drinks and the guys would be on their own. He kept saying he would pay for everyone's but can't afford it, so he'll get the womens. Cool I can totally pay for my own, no problem at all.

When the waitress handed him the bill for him and the women and each other guy's individual bills my Grandfather loudly asked me in front of everyone.

"You sure you can pay for this?

Yeah I can and I've taken him out plenty and he knows I have money. But he repeated that a few times.

"You SURE You're OK for the bill!?" as everyone in my family and friend re looking at me

Then I pull out my credit card and he loudly goes

"Oh thank goodness you have your CREDIT CARD"

What in the fuck

I love my gramps but he made me look like a charity case in front of everyone, now everyone is going to go home and start a go fund me page.

I talked to my Grandfather later about this in a similar fashion as I told you guys and he just had a hearty laugh about it, he thought it was hilarious- I mean he laughed his ass off when he realized how he made me look in front of everyone

<mma3>
the fact that your grandfather laughed his ass off when you brought this to his attention makes him fucking awesome

You should have just said "Yeah I'm fine, why would you think I'm not?" in a calm manner, puts all the pressure on him.

My grandpa is dead. You feel better now?

lol I remember you saying you haven't worked in four years or something

But my Gramps knows me and the wife both have jobs, I got the house, I got the car, I got the 3 cats, I'm doing just fine - my extended family are going to think I'm struggling with life lol
In your grandpa's defense, if your family read your threads...

It sounds like gramps just likes you extra and really wanted to pay for you too. Are you the young'n of the family?
He probably didn't even realize he was calling you a woman, that's why he laughed later.

He was trying to goad you into paying the entire bill. Hoping you would play the big shot and get him off the hook because he was in fact the poor one.

Good job not falling for it.
Exactly this. I bet we are the only ones seeing trough that shit.

If that were an Irish reunion there would have been uppercuts gallore.
They are black... Surprised it didn't turn out into a drive by.

My 84 year old Grandfather had his 75 year old cousins come down and another friend of the family - plus others, my aunt etc - 12 of us I think

Went to a nice restaurant -- My Grandfather organized this gathering and felt like he should pay for the women's meals/drinks and the guys would be on their own. He kept saying he would pay for everyone's but can't afford it, so he'll get the womens. Cool I can totally pay for my own, no problem at all.

When the waitress handed him the bill for him and the women and each other guy's individual bills my Grandfather loudly asked me in front of everyone.

"You sure you can pay for this?

Yeah I can and I've taken him out plenty and he knows I have money. But he repeated that a few times.

"You SURE You're OK for the bill!?" as everyone in my family and friend re looking at me

Then I pull out my credit card and he loudly goes

"Oh thank goodness you have your CREDIT CARD"

What in the fuck

I love my gramps but he made me look like a charity case in front of everyone, now everyone is going to go home and start a go fund me page.

I talked to my Grandfather later about this in a similar fashion as I told you guys and he just had a hearty laugh about it, he thought it was hilarious- I mean he laughed his ass off when he realized how he made me look in front of everyone

<mma3>

<WellThere>
<{poor?}>

Good thing your grandfather will probably die before you, because he sounds like he would probably throw some heat at you even at your funeral.

Back