My first sensory deprivation tank experince

Hotora86

war in the ring, never outside
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_tank

An isolation tank, usually called a sensory deprivation tank (also known as float tank, flotation tank, or sensory attenuation tank) is a lightless, soundproof tank filled with salt water at skin temperature, in which individuals float. Flotation is widely advertised as a form of alternative medicine with claims that it has beneficial health effects.

Joe Rogan has always been a huge proponent of this:

Other people, including sportsmen, celebs and scientists have praised the experience. I tried it for the first time last Saturday and my overall impression is... meh. I did not come with high expectations but was still slightly disappointed.

First of all, the session started out with 15 minutes of music by Jean-Michel Jarre which was supposed to "set the tone" but was more of a distraction. Another thing is that either I was making waves somehow or the tank wasn't large enough cause I kept bumping into the walls from time to time, which was distracting and unpleasant since I didn't see it coming (literally). I never actually felt "emerged" to the point of not feeling my body - it was always there, I felt the warmth of the water, my tongue moving in my mouth, the beating of my heart, my breath etc. It probably doesn't help that I had to leave the tank twice during the 1 hr session - once because my neck got very stiff and I went to get a floating head cushion (it helped) and another time because I had to pee (I did pee before entering the tank as advised but still had to go again).

The only two things that were "extraordinary" were:

1. White light patterns that I started seeing after a while due to the complete darkness. They were mildly interesting to watch for a while, though the feeling was also slightly uncomfortable like squinting at one's nose. Once they stopped and I saw sheer blackness again I felt rather relieved.

2. Enhanced hearing. I had ear plugs to prevent water going into the ears but MAN did I hear everything VIVIDLY. When tiny droplets of water fell from the tank's ceiling they really went BANG! When there was rumbling in my stomach it was like the rumbling of a waterfall. And, sadly, I also heard my phone vibrate outside the tank (forgot to turn it off), people entering the facility, steps, doors closing etc. Very distracting and rather unpleasant. So either the tank itself was shit or I have super-hearing. :p

When it was over I had a hard time getting up at first because the body got used to floating I guess. After I took a shower and left the room I felt slightly dazed and "soft", like after a long steam bath - in fact it was quite warm in the tank, IMO much warmer than body temperature (which it's supposed to be) since I even felt sweat on my forehead when I was inside.

Maybe I just had a lame experience for some reason but in general it was not nearly as "mind-blowing" as Rogan describes it. I thought about philosophical concepts for a while in the tank too but the thinking wasn't any different from my "regular" thinking about them. No new ideas, no sudden discoveries or sensations, nothing special.

Overall, I can't say it was "bad" but I also can't say it was "great" or "fun". It was definitely a new kind of experience and interesting to witness but I don't think I'll be coming back for more or recommending it to friends.

How about you, Sherbros? Have you tried it? How was it? Discuss.

I would be so relaxed I might take a shit in there.

I think smoking weed on an hourly basis and regular use of DMT may be the missing factors preventing you from having a mind blowing experience.

I would be so relaxed I might take a shit in there.
Funnily enough, it's explicitly mentioned in the "terms of service" that shitting and pissing in the tank is strictly prohibited. :D

I've done it a few times. They're pretty relaxing

It sounds like you had trouble spinning your mind down to a restful state. Maybe practice getting good at meditation first? Then perhaps you can bring that mindset into the tank?

They should also eliminate your sense of smell and taste.

It sounds like you had trouble spinning your mind down to a restful state. Maybe practice getting good at meditation first? Then perhaps you can bring that mindset into the tank?
I've tried various meditation in the past but the "classical" yoga meditation with all the "clear your mind" and "focus on breathing" stuff was never enjoyable to me. I prefer to soak in all the surrounding sounds and sights without reacting to them, "take the world as is" so to speak - much more relaxing and easier to do. The sensory deprivation tank actually made relaxing HARDER for me because there was so little stimuli that each and every tiny sound or touch stood out like a sore thumb.

Besides, people without ANY kind of interest in meditation or philosophy have tried sensory deprivation and were very impressed (as evidenced by tons of YT vids about it). So I don't think there is any "pre-work" required?

Last edited:
This is the kind of meditation I enjoy:

But like I said above, it's hard to "soak in" and accept all sounds when there are no sounds at all... except from time to time suddenly and very vividly (they stand out so much) - and that's much more distracting than the usual racket outside the window. It might sounds backwards but that's just how I feel.

Last edited:
you actually drowned and have entered heaven....yes...sherdog is all there is in the afterlife.

it was a decision god made because he forgot his password for his jesus account. just said "fuck it" and logged into sherdog...then quit his job.

you actually drowned and have entered heaven....yes...sherdog is all there is in the afterlife.

it was a decision god made because he forgot his password for his jesus account. just said "fuck it" and logged into sherdog...then quit his job.
<mma3>

Since its completely dark I'd be too afraid that there would be floaters in there to relax.

I'm tempted to try a sensory deprivation tank experience, but I have this fear that the light will turn on and i'll find Joe Rogan floating naked beside me.

Should have choked out a couple pumps of baby batter while in there . Missed opportunity to becum one with the universe imo.

I agree with TS. It was an ok experience, nothing too special, and not good enough to pay for again.

Is the water fresh for each person? Is the tanks cleaned between each person. Just sounds gross to me otherwise - my mind would wander and think about all the other people who floated in this same water.

Back