My first job interviews (ever) coming up. Wish me luck!

I hate dumb interview questions

"where do you see yourself in 5 years"

.. writing your paychecks.

Would ya look at this gem of a thread

@Fawlty
Oh man.

I'm pretty sure he had to interview for the gas station job he used to talk about here. Or maybe he was just a walk-on there. Maybe they recognized the talent.

Oh man.

I'm pretty sure he had to interview for the gas station job he used to talk about here. Or maybe he was just a walk-on there. Maybe they recognized the talent.
I'm guessing he aced the pump test without having to study and by noon the manager was taking instruction from him

Maybe they recognized the talent.

"I'd never seen such a natural pump jockey in all my years running an ARCO. It's like he just knew what to do. I turned over to Leon and said by God, this kid aint never studied for a test and he won't ever need to. He's gonna be a doctor some day."

"I'd never seen such a natural pump jockey in all my years running an ARCO. It's like he just knew what to do. I turned over to Leon and said by God, this kid aint never studied for a test and he won't ever need to. He's gonna be a doctor some day."
Great genius is peculiar. Sometimes it inspires us to greatness of our own, and sometimes it's really really alienating and makes everybody feel very uncomfortable.

When they ask why you left the last job, don’t say “My manager was terrible.” That seems obvious, but I can’t tell you how many interviews I’ve conducted where that was the answer I received. It may be true, but to the interviewer that answer sounds like “Hi, just a red flag you should know about, I struggle to get along with managers.”

Can always count on @Fawlty and @Limbo Pete for potshots from the peanut gallery. Must be a slow day at the community college.
It was a slow day. I reviewed for an accounting exam. Took it as an elective, if you can believe that. Oof. The only thing more boring than accounting is being kind of bad at it but doing it anyway. That said, best of luck in the job interview. I hope you don't make them feel really uncomfortable because of the way you communicate.

unless it's an academic spot.. it's just the employer trying to sell you the job and making sure you're not insane 90% of the time...

academic situations are a bit more rigorous

btw.. they should be paying for transportation, hotel and meals unless they are cheap fucks

More of an academic affiliate. Academia pays way too low.

Interview was chill as could be. The first question I was asked was why I was so dressed up. It was mainly just conversational stuff, what I was interested in, where I grew up, some questions to gauge my interest in the position, details of the work, salary, benefits. No typical interview questions. Nothing stressful. Job is mine if I want it. It did really seem like the employer trying to sell me the job. I hope all interviews this month are as chill.

It was a slow day. I reviewed for an accounting exam. Took it as an elective, if you can believe that. Oof. The only thing more boring than accounting is being kind of bad at it but doing it anyway.

Glad to hear you had an easy Monday. Those are the best.

That said, best of luck in the job interview. I hope you don't make them feel really uncomfortable because of the way you communicate.

I tried to keep the conversation on the interviewer's level.

Last edited:
I guess I haven't ever had a -real- job interview before. I'm curious to see how this will go. Will it be all serious and formal or more laid back? Time will tell!

try not to be nervous. i would go into it almost thinking you're not going to get it, and try to visualize how things will be if that happens. it's not the end of the world. once you can relax, you'll do a lot better. maintain eye contact. smile and have an upbeat attitude. don't come across as needy. ask questions about the company, and how the day-to-day operations go. i think the more questions you ask that pertain to the workings of the job, the more they'll see that you really want to become a part of their team. thank them for taking the time to interview you. i'm no expert, but that was my approach during interviews in my last year of college. our recruiter told me that i was the #1 pick for two of the three employers that came to interview us. so take that for what you will. good luck!

Pro tip - If they ask you what weaknesses you have, Do NOT say that you are a perfectionist. It's one of the worst answers you can give.

i remember being asked that question. i said that i can sometimes try to take on too many tasks, and that overstretching myself is something i need to work on. don't know if that was a good one, but i don't think it hurt me.

wow. you went from having trouble with a gas station pos system to actual fake doctor in just a few short years. you go, glen coco.

wow. you went from having trouble with a gas station pos system to actual fake doctor in just a few short years. you go, glen coco.
Education provides one of the most promising chances of upward social mobility.

Back