My first ever Sparring after 1 month of training boxing

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
A link for the full video of my 4-round light sparring with my coach below.
I'm the one wearing white shirt. Yea this is my first ever sparring, never fought in my life before.

1st round: Learning phase. Since this is my first ever sparring, the feeling was unfamiliar punching a guy's face instead of bags and pads. I kept throwing my 1-2 combination, but gets countered. I threw a left straight that sent him back all the way to the ropes (2:59)

2nd round: I started connecting some straight. I've learned a lot from round 1. But I still lack combinations. I easily got countered by his lead hook, everytime. I gassed lol

-5 minute break-

3rd round: Learned to adjust, be patient, and counter. I even connected a counter left uppercut (at 7:52). Still learning.

4th round: Threw everything I had lol lacking enough stamina in me. I don't know what punches to throw anymore, my 1-2 keeps getting countered by hook.

I gladly need your advice, opinions, comments for me to keep on getting better.

FULL VIDEO:

Last edited:
-Dont overreach

-Be confident and let your right hand go (and make sure it comes back to your face!!)

-just because youre not going hard doesnt mean you need to punch slowly...100% speed 50% power

-stop plodding, use your feet to get in and out not your head/body

-your opponent looks new also, make him come to you and counter him sometimes...make him PAY (he seems to be moving confidently but lacks skill, get him for that shit)

GOOD WORK ENJOY IT!

Last edited:
-Dont overreach

-Be confident and let your right hand go (and make sure it comes back to your face!!)

-just because youre not going hard doesnt mean you need to punch slowly...100% speed 50% power

-stop plodding, use your feet to get in and out not your head/body

-your opponent looks new also, make him come to you and counter him sometimes...make him PAY (he seems to be moving confidently but lacks skill, get him for that shit)

GOOD WORK ENJOY IT!
Appreciate it man!

-throw combinations, you're just throwing single shots right now
-when you back out, you're backing out too much where you have to get back in to strike. The point is to avoid and counter.
-interrupt his flurry ASAP, longer you wait, the worse it gets

For a 1 month guy, it is a big stepping stone to do this, but it'll come in due time

When in doubt, just bang

Nice, great to watch. You guys have a lot of respect for each other and that's refreshing to see. Light and controlled, no big egos. Keep up the good work and keep practicing. Most important for you is to keep working on the fundamentals.

I wont get too much into it, but there is one specific thing from the first round.

The reason why you kept getting tagged with the hook is because you lean forward, lead with your head and drop your lead hand every single time you throw the cross. He barely has to do anything but to throw the slap hook, your head is there to be hit.

When you throw the straight left, step in with your rear leg under you instead of reaching and keep your lead hand up. It's good to have a few different ways of setting it up and throwing it, so try that out.

Again, keep up the good work!

I don't know if you're doing it intentionally or instinctively, but you do a good job of stepping to the outside of his lead foot. Don't be afraid to throw when you get that angle on him. Try throwing some right hooks. You don't throw them and it looked like there was a lot of opportunity for it to land.

Lomachenko would be a great person to watch a video of for the footwork I'm talking about. He constantly takes the outside angle on his opponents and punishes them for it.

The first round, you did good you were working on your jab I could tell, to me that jab looked like an arm punch, try put a little bit of hips into it. Use some more head movement too. An old instructor of mine he was big on using the jab he always said to make your opponent respect your jab by throwing a good jab. You look very gun shy, and I can tell your trying to set up punches, but your just trying to get a reaction everytime, you should jab to the head and jab to the body mix it up. Something I did last Tues when I went to a fight gym that I signed up for, when we were sparring I went for a jab to the body and came up with an overhand.

Round 2 is the same thing in certain ways, your doing what @BillytheFish and @Sano said your over reaching with your left hand, and your dropping your lead hand when you throw it which is a bad habit. Your getting a little too tired, which you got to work on cardio for sure.

Round 3 you were pushing the pace a little more. Same thing as rounds 1 and 2, you did land a bit more.

Round 4 counter the flurry immediately obviously use your head movement more. And same thing as every other round.

In conclusion: use more headmovement, try some side steps and shifting (what Mike Tyson did but just not try to be like Mike Tyson because you will get hit if you do everything Mike Tyson did), try using some feints, and don't just go for the 1-2 try 1-3 or mix up some body shots and head shots, don't over reach and don't drop your lead hand when throwing a left hand. You did good for your first spar.

I don't know if you're doing it intentionally or instinctively, but you do a good job of stepping to the outside of his lead foot. Don't be afraid to throw when you get that angle on him. Try throwing some right hooks. You don't throw them and it looked like there was a lot of opportunity for it to land.

Lomachenko would be a great person to watch a video of for the footwork I'm talking about. He constantly takes the outside angle on his opponents and punishes them for it.
I see the right angle of hitting him when I go to my right, which is moving away from his cross so yea stepping to the outside of his lead foot was based on my instincts :)

Yea, I missed a lot of opportunity of throwing right hooks, I was so focused on throwing jab-jab-straight combinations. I will do better next time

A link for the full video of my 4-round light sparring with my coach below.
I'm the one wearing white shirt. Yea this is my first ever sparring, never fought in my life before.

1st round: Learning phase. Since this is my first ever sparring, the feeling was unfamiliar punching a guy's face instead of bags and pads. I kept throwing my 1-2 combination, but gets countered. I threw a left straight that sent him back all the way to the ropes (2:59)

2nd round: I started connecting some straight. I've learned a lot from round 1. But I still lack combinations. I easily got countered by his lead hook, everytime. I gassed lol

-5 minute break-

3rd round: Learned to adjust, be patient, and counter. I even connected a counter left uppercut (at 7:52). Still learning.

4th round: Threw everything I had lol lacking enough stamina in me. I don't know what punches to throw anymore, my 1-2 keeps getting countered by hook.

I gladly need your advice, opinions, comments for me to keep on getting better.

FULL VIDEO:

Your gym culture seems super relaxed. Maybe it's the time of day. My gym culture is super on edge, and annoyingly competitive. Guys are literally yelling outside of the ring, which I think turns sparring into a brawl. They honestly think there is one speed in sparring, or at least that is what they portray.

As far as what I saw, you did very well, especially for your first time. I would only humbly suggest the following:

1) Get some boxing shoes if you can afford them. Wrestling shoes are pretty cheap at the local sports retailers and work as well (Dicks, Dunhams).

2) Try changing your levels more. 1-2 is fine, but perhaps attack the body vs strictly head hunting.

3) Don't try to absorb everything at once. You will develop your own style with time. Keep sparring (smart) and the rest will come.

4) Analyze everything you did in the ring, and improve it outside the ring. Ex: you didn't like the body shot he hit you with? Watch for flaring elbows when you shadowbox. Do more core work. Your shoulders got tired? Do more speed bag work. Condition with the dumbbells. You weren't as accurate as you'd like to be? Work on the double end bag. You gassed? Try interval work, running farther, or running faster. etc.

Focus on relaxing. And do not be afraid to take a beating. I mean even play few rounds on defence mainly. You need to feel it when you are relaxed and not afraid to get hit. It takes time.

It's pretty awesome that you have tape of your first spar. Months or years from now you're gonna look back at it and see how far you've progressed.

Back