My first day in a boxing class from AKB/TaeKwonDo

with three years of tkd and a year or two or boxing you could do a kickboxing amateur fight. I had 6 years of karate and a year of boxing and I did well against muay thai guys who competed as amateurs and had good records.

You competed in Muay Thai? I have sparred guys who competed in Muay Thai amateurs. I don't think it means much.

You competed in Muay Thai? I have sparred guys who competed in Muay Thai amateurs. I don't think it means much.
Amateur is such a vague classification it can mean anything from a guy who's 1-0 with 6 months under his belt or a killer with 20-2.

Where I'm at, going pro is an absolute nightmare due to legislation and was banned for awhile, so everyone built their exp. up in the amateurs.

Its just a classification, I know guys who go pro after training for a year, and they'd get whooped by most ammy's I know.

Amateur is such a vague classification it can mean anything from a guy who's 1-0 with 6 months under his belt or a killer with 20-2.

He had competed 5 years in Muay Thai

One Muay Thai fighter who did fight out of a somewhat more sideward stance was Samart Payakaroon, but he was able to do this because of his incredible teep that he would use to defend himself.

So in other words not pure boxing. Samart had to kick to survive in a boxing stance.

Here's the handsome son of a bitch stepping into the boxing ring: IGP6659.jpg

Does that look like a guy who gives a fuck? I can't wait to get out of the beginners class and start sparring real men. All I get now is nerds who complain I punch too hard

Have you tried just eating the blows and countering right back? The snappy, fast guys tend to not have alot of power in the shots anyway.

This fight may be useful reference for you:

Have you tried just eating the blows and countering right back?

This guy throws combinations.. Jab jab, bob and weave, and then gets inside ... Kinda of like Tyson. When he kicks its Roundhouse kick followed by spinning sidekick... His head leans back with the spinning back kick,, I can't reach him to counter.

Everything he does is in combinations. I'ts hard to corner him in a dojo where he just circles forever.

I talked to a boxer who says it's a fucking disgrace that a guy at 178 cm is allowed to control the events. I am 186 cm tall and should dictate more. Fuck whatever he tries to do. He recommends faking against the head and then go for bodyshots.

He had competed 5 years in Muay Thai
Can't really take much from sparring, its not a fight, its practice. You might be there going for the kill whereas he's looking to work a combination he's been drilling all week.

I talked to a boxer who says it's a fucking disgrace that a guy at 178 cm is allowed to control the events. I am 186 cm tall and should dictate more. Fuck whatever he tries to do. He recommends faking against the head and then go for bodyshots.
He's clearly the better striker at this point, and you're shutting down, which is why he's able to control the pace, flow, and ringmanship.

Can't really take much from sparring, its not a fight, its practice. You might be there going for the kill whereas he's looking to work a combination he's been drilling all week.

He's clearly the better striker at this point, and you're shutting down, which is why he's able to control the pace, flow, and ringmanship.

. I can dominate taekwondo black belts in there with boxing combinations. Even the little boxing I did so far helped my motor skills. But it's far easier against stationary targets. That guy is never still and also crouches. Everything is akward with him. I prefer sparring taller, slower guys.

I have been inactive for a year. No hard sparring. He competes and wins. Also, two dimensions of fighting was too much. That's why I intend to take away one dimension (boxing) and only have to worry about his kicks.

I'm on the east coast, there are a lot of gyms here that have super high level amateurs. One gym in particular will fly their fighters down to brazil to train before a ' big ' match. They take it very seriously.

It's unfair when people assume that an Amateur fighter is an unskilled fighter.

@spacetime you shouldn't look to 'win' with people at your gym when you spar ( unless it's a friendly competition and you're both trying to get the better of each other in a fun atmosphere. ) . You should be looking to try new things - like counter punching, body shots, switch kicks, nullifying punching with the clinch, etc.

Save the gym wars for Smokers - where you spar with other gyms with higher intensity to ' win ' ( even though there is no winner usually. )

Does that look like a guy who gives a fuck?

Yeah well you staged a photoshoot in what I'm assuming is your favorite outfit so you probably give a lot of fucks.

Last edited:
nah I did hard sparring sessions with some amatuer muay thai and mma guys. If you can hold your own against the those muay thai amatuers why not compete in an amateur fight or smoker?

I'm on the east coast, there are a lot of gyms here that have super high level amateurs. One gym in particular will fly their fighters down to brazil to train before a ' big ' match. They take it very seriously.

oh for real bro? where are you on the east coast? im from jersey.

Yeah it's kind of a pet peeve of mine really. As I mentioned, over here legislation for pro fighting is a nightmare and people here build their exp. up in the amateurs.

Its also the trend these days for people to build a strong amateur "career" before going pro. People who go straight pro like CM punk are dying out. Its not 2004 anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back