My evaluation of Khabib vs. Tony

I see two realistic routes to victory against Khabib (besides getting lucky).

A. Unreal takedown defense while not sacrificing striking in the process. No one outside of Tibau has shown the ability to stop Khabib's takedowns, and Khabib has evolved since that fight. I don't think anyone can consistently stop Khabib's takedown. This ain't gonna be how Tony wins.

OR

B. The ability to retain more gas in the tank from the bottom than Khabib from the top. The ability to tire out Khabib from the bottom. Seems crazy right? But It could happen, and I think Ferg is the guy who can do it.

I think Ferg poses a serious problem for Khabib. Khabib relies on his ability to make fighters wilt under his top pressure. Ferg is too good on his back, and will neutralize a lot of Khabib's top offense with ease. Ferg will not get tired even being pressured from the top, because he is so good and so aggressive off his back. I think Ferg is way too wily to get his legs tied up the way that Khabib ties everyone else's legs up.

McGregor showed that he could prevent damage in round 1, but he lost too much energy in the process. Khabib was gassed after his offensive explosion at the end of round 2, but Conor was too tired to take advantage in Round 3 (though it was his best round).

I don't think Khabib's cardio is as legendary as everyone makes it out to be. He gets tired in his fights. He takes breaks from shooting for takedowns to stand, not because he wants to "show off", but because he's legit tired and needs a break from the exhausting work of grappling someone to the ground. He's won in those circumstances because he sapped his opponents so badly that they have nothing left to come back with.

I think Khabib will be able to take down and control Ferg in the early rounds, possibly through round 3, but don't be surprised if Ferg doesn't slice Khabib up with his razor sharp elbows from the guard.

I think Khabib will work extremely hard to hold Ferg down, and Khabib will wilt in the later rounds. Ferg will start piecing up Khabib on the feet in round 4 or 5.

Khabib will take round 1 and 2.

Round 3 will be a tossup

Round 4 and 5, Khabib will have very few takedowns, and simply survive on his feet.

It'll either be a very close, bloody decision for either of them, or Tony will finish Khabib in the 5th.

I have no bias, and I'm probably a bigger fan of Khabib than I am of Ferg, but I think Ferg has every tool he needs beat Khabib.
This

And Khabib has shown "zero propensity" putting fools on their ass with a right hook, yet here we are. It's called gameplanning for a specific opponent. You're acting like RDA doesn't know what a front headlock is when he's many times the BJJ adept Tony is. You're acting like he's too stupid to realize its usefulness in a fight against Khabib. You're dissing fighter credentials and achievements because it fits your retarded nuthugger agenda. You're implying that a fighter who has faced a higher level of competition in his background martial art should not be considered as having mastered the said art to a greater degree. Honestly, your behavior is absolutely disgusting. People like you and your butt-buddy 5 posts above are the reason why I can't stand Tony fans anymore.

You are getting too emotional here. I realize that type of thing gets said too often here and I'm sure you'll reply that you aren't but I assure you I'm not saying it to be an asshole. "Your behavior is disgusting"? Seriously man, we are just talking about MMA. Calm down a bit.

As I said previously, I witnessed quite possibly the greatest pure grappler of all time get thoroughly dominated on the mat in an MMA fight vs someone with no creds at all. Have you seen the fight? There are obviously plenty more examples but this one stands above them all. And it's why you are pretty much just going to get tuned out when you start ranting about the lack of grappling accomplishments of the guys Tony has subbed. It's not all that relevant in MMA. It just isn't.

Back