My dog killed a rabbit last night, Australian Shepherd. Should I be worried?

Also an Aussie owner. Mine is mixed with sheltie so he's a little smaller than a usual Aussie but has all of the characteristics. He's lightning fast, super smart, very athletic and doesn't even realize it, and obviously neurotic as hell. He shows interest in rabbits and other small animals and would love to chase one but I don't think he'd ever harm anything. All around awesome dog.

UJXZi7W.jpg
How do I post a picture like that??

There was an old story I read on here about a guy that finds his dog trotting around the yard with neighbors dead rabbit in his mouth.

He finds that his dog dug under the fence and killed it.

He freaks out and climbs over the fence to put the rabbit back in its cage in the yard.

The next day he's outside and his neighbor comes over and says "hey I just wanted to tell you that there's some sick fuck around here..... my kids rabbit died last week and some motherfucker dug it up and out it back in the cage"

Lmao

So my dog is a blue Merle Aussie and he's 9 months old. I've seen him accomplish amazing feats of athleticism. Sometimes he only jumps a foot off the ground but I've seen him jump as high as 5 feet. He also chases dogs around the dog park herding them and he will sometimes just kinda jog but every once in a while he turns the burners on and can outrun any dog there if he's focused.

So last night he did something that left me in complete awe. He chased a rabbit up the side of a hill about 100 yards through thick brush and rocks and caught it. I've never seen a dog move like this and I've had dogs my whole life I.e. 3 German shepherds, Husky, Lab mixes and a Rottweiler mix. He caught it and just destroyed this poor thing.

I live in a densely dog populated apartment complex with a lot of smaller dogs. I always leash him up but not everyone does. Do I need to be worried about my dog going after smaller dogs now? I've never had this problem before.
I hate those fucking heel biters. One bit my leg with i was about 9.

Dogs know the difference between a prey animal like rabbits and their own kind. It doesn't matter if they're small and yappy; even manlet dogs still smell like dogs.

You only need to worry if he's showing negative behavior in dog-on-dog interactions.

Australian Shepard's are some of the most loyal dogs ever. My grandparents used to have a pair of them and they were just all around great dogs. They lived out in the sticks so the dogs grew up killing small animals so maybe it's just in there nature.

Having more than 1 of them is definitely gonna lower the chances of them being social retards around other dogs.

Dogs kill rabbits all of the time. Mine did. He will probably think a small dog is just a puppy or something. He might show him who is boss but he is not going to kill a dog.

Your dog is a future serial killer bro. That's how it starts

I have nothing to add about your murdering dog, but one time I saw a cat kill a rabbit.
I watched it happen on my lunch break. Rabbits were known to come out around the bush/grass area at night near the parking lot. Out of nowhere this big ass, mangy, street cat creeped up on one, killed it and carried it off.
I Never even knew rabbits could make noises until that night

To the actual conversation, dogs can recognize the difference in other animals. Cats cannot. I.E. a dog can tell that a human is not a dog but a cat thinks a human is just a shitty cat. So if you are worried about your dog killing small dogs, I don't think you have to worry about it.

Nothing to worry about. Its actually great for the dog's mental well being imo.

I had a friend with a sick cat. It had a urinary problem, wasn't eating, was losing hair, etc. They took it to several vets and nobody could get to the bottom of the issue. Finally a guy online told him that it sounds like the cat was stressed and needed to hunt and do what cats do. My buddy went and bought a shit load of crickets per the guys advice. He'd let the cat hunt and kill a few crickets everyday. Believe it or not the cat's health issues started getting better pretty quick. After a few months the cat was back to normal.

Carnivores like dogs (and cats) need to hunt! It's in their DNA

Oh, and my bulldog has brought home 2 groundhogs, 2 rabbits and a opossum over his 6 years. He never turned mean or anything crazy like that. He brings them right to me every time. He's so excited and proud of himself. He's like "look dad, I found this dumb shit in our yard, but I took care of it for you!"

My dog is an aussie mix and he loves chasing rabbits and squirrels, but has never been particularly aggressive against other dogs and is great with people. You should be fine.

Your dog is to aggressive. Best to him down before he kills a child

You should have cooked the rabbit and served it to him so that it would not go to waste. At least it was dead when you found it unlike dog who mutilated a baby possum who had its guts sticking out in 3 places. Poor baby was still alive

Did you at least win a caravan after the chase?

One that is periwinkle blue?

Back