My dog killed a rabbit last night, Australian Shepherd. Should I be worried?

rokzilla

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So my dog is a blue Merle Aussie and he's 9 months old. I've seen him accomplish amazing feats of athleticism. Sometimes he only jumps a foot off the ground but I've seen him jump as high as 5 feet. He also chases dogs around the dog park herding them and he will sometimes just kinda jog but every once in a while he turns the burners on and can outrun any dog there if he's focused.

So last night he did something that left me in complete awe. He chased a rabbit up the side of a hill about 100 yards through thick brush and rocks and caught it. I've never seen a dog move like this and I've had dogs my whole life I.e. 3 German shepherds, Husky, Lab mixes and a Rottweiler mix. He caught it and just destroyed this poor thing.

I live in a densely dog populated apartment complex with a lot of smaller dogs. I always leash him up but not everyone does. Do I need to be worried about my dog going after smaller dogs now? I've never had this problem before.

Hell no!! Your dog dominated that rabbit and deservedly so!! Give him an elk antler and let him lounge about a little more than usual for the next couple days.

Dogs suck in general but if this one plans on taking out a few small shit dogs then I'll give him a pass

only if he grows rabid from killing the rabbit.

There was an old story I read on here about a guy that finds his dog trotting around the yard with neighbors dead rabbit in his mouth.

He finds that his dog dug under the fence and killed it.

He freaks out and climbs over the fence to put the rabbit back in its cage in the yard.

The next day he's outside and his neighbor comes over and says "hey I just wanted to tell you that there's some sick fuck around here..... my kids rabbit died last week and some motherfucker dug it up and put it back in the cage"

Last edited:
You don't have to worry, it sounds like the smaller dogs have to worry.

It has tasted blood. You are next! :eek:

only if he grows rabid from killing the rabbit.

cujo-25th-anniversary-edition-20070912112212093-000.jpg

Attacking a rabbit shouldn't normally translate into being aggressive to other dogs or people, my two Golden Retreaters have always chased rabbits(never caught one though) and are totally non aggressive to people and need aa lot of provocation from other dogs to even bark at them.

dogs are dope, my grandparents had one as a kid (aussy shepherd)

just watch out all the jumping, IIRC they can get hip dysplasia really easily

I have had 2 Australian Shepherd's. One thought he was a person. The one I have now is pretty wild. Chases everything. Leaves go by and he will chase them. He's 2 1/2 now. Will get aggressive with some other dogs as he is trying to heard them, but never people. He's pretty alpha.

It's just in his nature I guess.

I had a dog named ROKKO he was part pit bull and part Australian Shepard. He was intelligent and athletic. One time he broke a truck headlight with his head (it was dark and he was off the leash and the truck was speeding through the neighborhood racing his friend)

I have nothing to contribute to your question. I just never pass up an opportunity to brag about the greatest dog that ever was my friend.

That dog's a pyscho. He'll probably kill you next and assume your identity.

Do you have a wife and kids? If you do he'll probably make her his wife raise the kids as his own.

Are you at home right now?

If you are get the fuck out of there before it's too late!!

Mine kill rabbits all the time its no big deal.

I have an Australian Shepherd/Labrador about the same age as yours. She already caught a mouse and a dove.

The bitch moves like a fucking cat, I tell you whuat.

Also an Aussie owner. Mine is mixed with sheltie so he's a little smaller than a usual Aussie but has all of the characteristics. He's lightning fast, super smart, very athletic and doesn't even realize it, and obviously neurotic as hell. He shows interest in rabbits and other small animals and would love to chase one but I don't think he'd ever harm anything. All around awesome dog.

UJXZi7W.jpg

Back