My cousin wants to teach me Wing Chun

Also, I'll add my own $.02. I started training striking (mainly boxing) with a guy who did wing chung for a few years and I will say....arm traps are a real thing. If I failed to retract my strikes quick enough or if I got greedy and threw a combo without moving, or getting him to cover up, he was good enough to "trap" an arm and throw a counter, or move me with it....So I guess against a static opponent, who does nothing but throw bolos, it might be effective.

There are traps in boxing. They are just very subtle and rarely used. Some in-fighting could technically be called trapping. However, just going out there thinking that you can trap everything that someone throws at you is unrealistic. One of the things that I have noticed about Wing Chun is that they do a lot of work just to land an arm punch

There are traps in boxing. They are just very subtle and rarely used. Some in-fighting could technically be called trapping. However, just going out there thinking that you can trap everything that someone throws at you is unrealistic. One of the things that I have noticed about Wing Chun is that they do a lot of work just to land an arm punch
Yes! I agree. I helped him with that a bit. After awhile, he would use traps to move me as well. A quick parry and strike to my shoulder to stop my momentum, then snatch the back of my neck and turn and push, followed by a low kick to my thigh (I stole this move from him!)....you could certainly tell he tried to build his wing chung around his MMA skills. We sparred together for maybe a month, and just in that time he stopped pursuing his wing chung and rather seemed to let it happen organically. I suppose you could say his timing and "triggers" became better. Haven't seen that guy since. Fun spar too. Cool headed, and would hit you as hard as you hit him.

Why is no one talking about Carlson's fondness for Wing Chun and how he thought it would be an excellent compliment to BJJ?
I know he taught grappling seminars at Wing Chun schools in UK. But I didn't know he was fond of the system.

My strong suspicion is, this never happened.

That wing chun crap is nothing but garbage. PURE garbage. There's a reason why it's one of the favorite jokes in the martial arts community along with aikido because it sucks. The funny thing is that the hardcore wing chun dorks actually thinks they're the toughest king of the streets badass fighters in the world. But in reality, they are garbage that can't even fight their way out of a wet paper bag. It's sad and hilarious at the same time.

I know he taught grappling seminars at Wing Chun schools in UK. But I didn't know he was fond of the system.

Yeah, he befriended a Wing Chun experted and was really convinced WC was a perfect compliment to BJJ. There used to be videos on youtube of Carlson and this guy teaching seminars together. I don't know if they're still available online.

That wing chun crap is nothing but garbage. PURE garbage. There's a reason why it's one of the favorite jokes in the martial arts community along with aikido because it sucks. The funny thing is that the hardcore wing chun dorks actually thinks they're the toughest king of the streets badass fighters in the world. But in reality, they are garbage that can't even fight their way out of a wet paper bag. It's sad and hilarious at the same time.
There's Wing Chun guys doing MMA. Admittedly the quality control is not so good but WC is far from useless.

To quote the immortal Doug Stanhope, "Take him to the ground and fuck his face. It'll destroy his confidence."

If I were you, I would beat his ass with love and show him that silly wing chun crap is just silly bullshit. Family members don't let family members practice useless silly bullshit. You are saving his life. He needs your guidance to the right path. That silly wing chun crap is the wrong and bullshit path that he doesn't need to take.
I mean it's not today bullshit. Wing Chun has a lot of really useful techniques that you can incorporate into your game to make yourself a more well rounded fighter. The bullshit is these dogmatic practitioners who completely dismiss the ground have when all they know about grappling is a couple hip tosses.

I mean it's not today bullshit. Wing Chun has a lot of really useful techniques that you can incorporate into your game to make yourself a more well rounded fighter. The bullshit is these dogmatic practitioners who completely dismiss the ground have when all they know about grappling is a couple hip tosses.
It's straight up complete bullshit useless garbage. You might as well spend your time practicing real stuff. No need to waste your time practicing useless garbage like wing chun shit. There's a very good reason why wing chun is one of the funniest jokes in the martial arts community. Because it's a fucking joke and a very funny one. That's what those stupid wing chun clowns are good at. They're good at making other people laugh with their bullshit wing chun garbage. LOL

It's straight up complete bullshit useless garbage. You might as well spend your time practicing real stuff. No need to waste your time practicing useless garbage like wing chun shit. There's a very good reason why wing chun is one of the funniest jokes in the martial arts community. Because it's a fucking joke and a very funny one. That's what those stupid wing chun clowns are good at. They're good at making other people laugh with their bullshit wing chun garbage. LOL

This is just dumb. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but most kung fu has lost it's way because they stopped sparring / fighting and developed really esoteric forms in their little bubbles. Wing Chun is one of the most useful forms of kung fu that's not san da / san shou because it emphasizes simplicity and aggression. It's effective against untrained people in the street, which is more than can be said for a lot of martial arts.

I've never seen anyone compare it to Aikido. That's absurd.

If my cousin wants me to train in a martial art I don't think is effective with him, the question is not "in what way can i prove or disprove the efficacy of his dumbness", it's "do I want to spend some time indulging in mildly physical hobby with my cousin because i like being around him". It's not fundamentally different than if he wanted to get you into disc golf or what have you. You don't need to ruthlessly evaluate it's effect on every other life goal you have, you just need to figure out if you like doing stuff with said person enough to make doing the activity you wouldn't normally do fun. As long as the time committment isn't crazy it's just not a big deal.

If my cousin wants me to train in a martial art I don't think is effective with him, the question is not "in what way can i prove or disprove the efficacy of his dumbness", it's "do I want to spend some time indulging in mildly physical hobby with my cousin because i like being around him". It's not fundamentally different than if he wanted to get you into disc golf or what have you. You don't need to ruthlessly evaluate it's effect on every other life goal you have, you just need to figure out if you like doing stuff with said person enough to make doing the activity you wouldn't normally do fun. As long as the time committment isn't crazy it's just not a big deal.
I mean I think all types of martial arts are just plain fun, so if that's what you're looking to get out of it then absolutely yeah. Do it.

This is just dumb. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but most kung fu has lost it's way because they stopped sparring / fighting and developed really esoteric forms in their little bubbles. Wing Chun is one of the most useful forms of kung fu that's not san da / san shou because it emphasizes simplicity and aggression. It's effective against untrained people in the street, which is more than can be said for a lot of martial arts.

This whole idea of "effective against untrained people on the street" is a cop-out that I see far too often. It is implied that untrained street is the lowest bar, as though MMA is only for serious proven arts but all you need for the street is some broad concept of self-defense. In truth, if I was really training a martial art for that purpose then I would want to be 100,000% certain that it would be effective. If your training is not up to that level of proof then you're setting yourself up to be sucker punched or embarrassed or both. Don't pretend like untrained people on the street are these drunk weaklings who'll fall on their face as soon as you bust out your stance.

This whole idea of "effective against untrained people on the street" is a cop-out that I see far too often. It is implied that untrained street is the lowest bar, as though MMA is only for serious proven arts but all you need for the street is some broad concept of self-defense. In truth, if I was really training a martial art for that purpose then I would want to be 100,000% certain that it would be effective. If your training is not up to that level of proof then you're setting yourself up to be sucker punched or embarrassed or both. Don't pretend like untrained people on the street are these drunk weaklings who'll fall on their face as soon as you bust out your stance.

For certain.

If you want to be able to beat someone larger than you, or more than one guy at a time, then you have to be able to whip the living shit out of one guy your own size. That's only going to happen if you are great at the combat sports (great in the regular guy sense).

Yeah, well, you've got stupid ideas about a lot of things. Some of the immensely big, strong and aggressive douchebags on the street can be a nightmare, but they are very small in number and most streetfights are between spazzy idiots who don't know what they're doing. There are some martial arts that are pretty worthless against anyone, but then there are some that are good against people who aren't training to be fighters.

do show me a single video of someone actually doing some of the stuff they practice.

there is a whole series of wing chun vs karate, 9 full contact fights in youtube.... didnt see any real application in those vids.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, you've got stupid ideas about a lot of things. Some of the immensely big, strong and aggressive douchebags on the street can be a nightmare, but they are very small in number and most streetfights are between spazzy idiots who don't know what they're doing. There are some martial arts that are pretty worthless against anyone, but then there are some that are good against people who aren't training to be fighters.

where do you get this from? the myth that just because someone is in a bar and drinking doesnt mean he cant fight, some of the most violent persons are in bars and lke to pick up fights, some can fight some cant, but some will really fucking hurt most people, and that include even trained people.

let me tell you something, you go into a bar full of rugby players, those dudes never ever trained a single day in their life, they are probably drunk as fuck, but they beat the living shit out of most normal people. Size power and violence is not something you should overlook in a fight.

where do you get this from? the myth that just because someone is in a bar and drinking doesnt mean he cant fight, some of the most violent persons are in bars and lke to pick up fights, some can fight some cant, but some will really fucking hurt most people, and that include even trained people.

let me tell you something, you go into a bar full of rugby players, those dudes never ever trained a single day in their life, they are probably drunk as fuck, but they beat the living shit out of most normal people. Size power and violence is not something you should overlook in a fight.

Or just the countless videos of trained cops with weapons trying to subdue some random person full of adrenaline. Completely ludicrous suggestion that "yeah this martial art sucks but at least it's effective against totally unpredictable people who are enraged enough to fight me."

Last edited:
do show me a single video of someone actually doing some of the stuff they practice.

there is a whole series of wing chun vs karate, 9 full contact fights in youtube.... didnt see any real application in those vids.

Are you asking for videos of wing chun in street fights? I don't have that. But I do know that the wing chun straight blast is effective against untrained people and I don't know how anyone could deny that flurrying aggressively as your opening move isn't an effective attack on the street.

Back