My cousin wants to teach me Wing Chun

Thorgrim

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
At a family get together yesterday I saw a cousin I hadn't seen in about 10 years. He's asked me if I was still wrestling (never wrestled in school but did grappling), though it's been a while because I got a fucked up neck. He said he's into Wing Chun, "wrestling is good but it takes a while to beat someone, with Wing Chun you can just tap some pressure points and they will be out in a second". I just nodded and agreed, didn't want to get into a debate or anything. Then he told me some stories about doing a three hit combo on someone and walking away and the guy was like "what the hell was that?" but 5 seconds later he passed out.

When we said our goodbyes he offered to show me some stuff next time we meet up, since he just moved it won't be that long till I see him again. Should I take him up on that? What if he does something and nothing happens, haha, should I fake it? I never met someone who makes these claims, I'm intrigued but also scared of an embarrassing moment of him trying some Jedi shit and I just double leg and mount him as he's trying to find my pressure points.

At a family get together yesterday I saw a cousin I hadn't seen in about 10 years. He's asked me if I was still wrestling (never wrestled in school but did grappling), though it's been a while because I got a fucked up neck. He said he's into Wing Chun, "wrestling is good but it takes a while to beat someone, with Wing Chun you can just tap some pressure points and they will be out in a second". I just nodded and agreed, didn't want to get into a debate or anything. Then he told me some stories about doing a three hit combo on someone and walking away and the guy was like "what the hell was that?" but 5 seconds later he passed out.

When we said our goodbyes he offered to show me some stuff next time we meet up, since he just moved it won't be that long till I see him again. Should I take him up on that? What if he does something and nothing happens, haha, should I fake it? I never met someone who makes these claims, I'm intrigued but also scared of an embarrassing moment of him trying some Jedi shit and I just double leg and mount him as he's trying to find my pressure points.

If I were you, I would beat his ass with love and show him that silly wing chun crap is just silly bullshit. Family members don't let family members practice useless silly bullshit. You are saving his life. He needs your guidance to the right path. That silly wing chun crap is the wrong and bullshit path that he doesn't need to take.

Toe-hold him and ask him to wing chun out of it. That will shut him the fuck up.

Let him show you but don't fake it. These people are embarrassing but it's not your fault.

Bear in mind that there is one pressure point, well at least one I know anyway - chopping the neck with surprisingly little force can knock you. You can see people on YouTube trying it out on each other. Some people call it the "brachial stun"

But delayed action punch combos....obviously bullshit.

"wrestling is good but it takes a while to beat someone, with Wing Chun you can just tap some pressure points and they will be out in a second"
Should've walked out the room after hearing this

Let him show you but don't fake it. These people are embarrassing but it's not your fault.

Bear in mind that there is one pressure point, well at least one I know anyway - chopping the neck with surprisingly little force can knock you. You can see people on YouTube trying it out on each other. Some people call it the "brachial stun"

tumblr_mgu2yzlwx21r72ht7o1_500.gif

You'd be doing him a favor by tapping him out 10 times in a 5 minute round so that he drops this Yellow Bamboo shit and starts training in Jiu Jitsu.

(Youtube search Yellow Bamboo)

You'd be doing him a favor by tapping him out 10 times in a 5 minute round so that he drops this Yellow Bamboo shit and starts training in Jiu Jitsu.

This is correct. +1.

Lmao

Blast double and then check his oil. Only way he'll learn.

Chubby and out of shape brother-in-law told me a good knowledge of anatomy was sufficient to defend yourself. I laughed.

Jackwagons like that is how gracie jiu jitsu became so popular..

Jack Slack aptly explains how all the real pressure points are well known and obvious-- the temple, the sternum, the chin, the nose, etc. Weird to still see people making wild martial arts claims in the post-UFC/post-worldstar world, but the psychology of shame-avoidance is quite powerful.

Why not try it? You have nothing to lose, it could benefit you.

Its interesting to see how mass-suggestion works. I visited a japanese jiu-jitsu club to roll when I was in my hometown and they all tried pressure point-shit. I'd start in their guard, and they'd start to try their point-stuff, I'd withstand a second of discomfort to pass their guard, and then they'd try to pressure-point from below side or mount and I'd armbar them every time. And the pressure point discomfort is literally less than someone trying to force open your closed guard with their elbows.

I had to look at other videos because I wasn't sure what was supposed to happen. Oh god I hope he doesn't think he's going to "chi" me off my feet. These videos are hilarious!

I have actually been in similar situations, when a harmless, but mentally imbalanced TMA guy wants to show me how to fight. It usually is amusing, so I just play along and humor them. Like a mentioned before, many are mentally unbalanced so there is no reason to embarrass the guy. I find these situations comical and fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back