My conclusions of HW boxing.

gogogoalex

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
1) AJ is clearly overrated: Povetkin showed his flaws, a near the end Wladimir nearly beat him, Dillian Whyte rocked him, Parker lost the match because of his lack of reach, but he never was in danger of KO, and didn't have any respect to him in the fight, he never ate a hard punch. So for me its clear that Joshua is clearly worst boxer than the Klitschko brothers, and Vitaly will smash him if they meet between them. Obviously we don't talk about Lewis, Tyson, and Holyfield.
2) This era is clearly worst than the Klitschko previous era, its clear the level has gone down, but its more competitive, because they have retired and things have open for others, and if u show several new faces, u can sell the product again.

3) Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder: they have massive size, they use their massive size just to win combats but most of them without dominating. Wilder has been exposed several times and against B level competition, like Ortiz (Ortiz dominated him, KO him, rocked him, and nearly finish him except from the friend referee that gave him extra time to recover ignoring all rules of boxing), Fury exposed him again, less than Ortiz, but something similar, just to be handed a decision.
Tyson Fury, he is the anti heavy weight boxer, the anti boxing, he doesn't engage in fights, he just boxes the enough to get the decisions, he doesn't risk anything for the win, he just cruises to the win. He uses his size like Valuev did some time ago, but if he wasn't so tall and with so much reach, he'll have been smashed and exposed long time ago like they did with his cousing Hughie, which has his same style, except his height and reach isn't the same.

4) Dillian Whyte has been exposed by Chisora and Parker, i rate him worst than this 2.
5) Parker he lacks level to be in the top, and he lacks size too.

Its obvious that when your best wins are the boxers of the old generation Povetkin, Kubrat Pulev, Klitschko and they all have 40 years old, then its clear this era its not the best, and its clearly worst than the previous.

1) Povetkin is probably the most technical HW out there right now and was for a long time considered the second best in the division until failed drug tests and the emergence of Joshua/Wilder/Fury and others

And end of the line Klitschko was still an all time great HW. He showed his skill and heart, just couldn't take the beating and could capitalize on Joshua after he had him hurt. People now give Fury more credit for the Klitschko fight than Klitschko not showing up that night (i have my suspicions he wasn't fully healthy and the change in mat pad affected him post calf surgery), but credit to Fury for what he did. Also, Wilder may be one of the most undersized HW's out there, just has freaky power and is tall.

3) Ortiz isn't B talent, most people avoided him for a long time due to his power. He's like A-, B+ talent and a bit more technical than most give him credit for, an olympian.

4) If he got exposed by parker then so did AJ, I just chalk it up to a damn good fighter making things hard on another fighter, not everyone will always look great in a fight.

5) Parker may not be top level but is a former champion and gave AJ a CLOSE fight. He's also 6'4, 235+

I think depending on how things play out in the next few years this may actually looked at as a pretty good era 20+ years from now. Its hard to fully appreciate things until its over and done with and you see the full picture. A lot of the current crop easily have another 5+ years in them before they go into decline, for all we know one or more could end up being considered an all time great HW.

I agree that even the top 3 heavyweights have many flaws in their game. But I don't think that's what defines an era. This JOSHUA/WILDER/FURY era could end up being one of the most exciting ones actually due to the fact that each one of them is very beatable and not so dominant.

I can't understand how anyone can think that Parker had no respect for AJ. He showed AJ an excessive amount of respect when they fought and didn't take any risks, instead allowing himself to just be outboxed by the rangier guy on the outside. He's a good fighter and would have beaten Whyte if he'd just started putting on the pressure a little earlier, instead of leaving things so late, and relative to the current crop of heavyweights, Parker is top level.

Parker is definitely not too small either. If you think Parker is too small then you'll think practically everyone who isn't Lennox/Klitschko/Fury/Joshua type size is too small for heavyweight as well, which would be dumb. Whyte is also clearly better than Chisora and if he just uses his jab and boxes with Chisora instead of trying to prove a point with machismo, then he comfortably beats him.

I agree that even the top 3 heavyweights have many flaws in their game. But I don't think that's what defines an era. This JOSHUA/WILDER/FURY era could end up being one of the most exciting ones actually due to the fact that each one of them is very beatable and not so dominant.

And I think people tend to have a more favourable assessment of a fighters ability if that fighter delivers big, exciting fights and moments that fans are invested in. Its already happening to an extent with Fury after the Wilder fight.

No matter how things play out, I see how Deontay Wilder boxes and he's not very good. Just a hard puncher.

The division is indeed very poor.

You've said a lot of bizarre and demonstrably false things, but I'll ignore most of that and deal with the spirit of the post.

The division has more depth than it did for the majority, if not the totality, of the Wlad's reign. Wlad and certainly Vitali, at their best, were still a level above anyone in this era, though (although, I can see Wlad always potentially struggling with Joshua, Fury, and Wilder due to some of his flaws).

HW boxing is very exciting right now.

Even if Klitch was better than the current top 3 in his prime, there are 3 great guys at the top that can all beat each other. Then a group of good fighters after that that can all scrap.

How could anyone complain about this HW set up.

Kind of. He's seemed a bit undersized in his big fights with Joshua and Whyte.
He’s a good 240-245 lbs, so not at all small. I guess he is a bit soft, but that’s easily correctable with hard work in the gym. Assuming he wants to work hard. From what I gather he likes to spend a lot of time playing golf and bowling.

When I think undersized a Chris Byrd type pops into mind.

He’s a good 240-245 lbs, so not at all small. I guess he is a bit soft, but that’s easily correctable with hard work in the gym. Assuming he wants to work hard. From what I gather he likes to spend a lot of time playing golf and bowling.

When I think undersized a Chris Byrd type pops into mind.
huh, I guess you're right. I was picturing him a lot smaller than he really is, I guess.

Pretty good time to be a boxing fan is you akse'd me..

i agree. the only good heavyweight is artur szpilka

Back